Vaught Strikes Again

CentreRocks

What were some of the things that you heard on their side of the stadium ? I bet the comments changed drastically in the last half of the 4th quarter when Danville was out coached and outplayed so dramatically . As Commander Peter Quincy Taggart said so profoundly " Never give up,never surrender ."

I don't recall making excuses or talking about the Danville NCC game here. Danville screwed up you are right.

NCC had the better team and also had at least the 3 best players on the field at any given time (lineman, back, and QB). There were some 15, 16, 17 year old kids from Danville that didn't make plays when they needed. To talk about being out coached and outplayed is a little bush in my opinion. You all won congrats.

How many state Titles has NCC's coach won compared to Danvilles. What is the head to head record of these two coaches in State Finals. I have seen all three Danville NCC games. NCC probably had the better teams and players all three times, yet they didn't always win, why is this.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall making excuses or talking about the Danville NCC game here. Danville screwed up you are right.

NCC had the better team and also had at least the 3 best players on the field at any given time (lineman, back, and QB). There were some 15, 16, 17 year old kids from Danville that didn't make plays when they needed. To talk about being out coached and outplayed is a little bush in my opinion. You all won congrats.

How many state Titles has NCC's coach won compared to Danvilles. What is the head to head record of these two coaches in State Finals. I have seen all three Danville NCC games. NCC probably had the better teams and players all three times, yet they didn't always win, why is this.

I would say this shows that there is no "Private advantage". So why do so many insist there is?

Because they ,we (NCC) were out coached and out played especially in 2000 , it is as simple as that . In 2001 if the extra point was made ,well who knows . No excuse for that the kid just missed it .

This makes no sense to me. If a potential student lives just over the county line in Oldham, they should no be allowed to attend and particpate in sports at Trinity or St. X?

It is just an attendance restriction, the same restrictions that every school should have. Like I said, that would level the playing field, but it is not going to happen. Its just my opinion of what should happen. Of course, I also don't think that you should be able to pay tuition to attend a public school. Attending school where you live is the only real way to level the playing field.

What were some of the things that you heard on their side of the stadium ? I bet the comments changed drastically in the last half of the 4th quarter when Danville was out coached and outplayed so dramatically . As Commander Peter Quincy Taggart said so profoundly " Never give up,never surrender ."

There was a lot of smack being talked when they were up by 17 about how NCC can't beat Danville, then after the game I heard people in the same are making comments about how playing private schools is unfair. That is quite a transition.

It is just an attendance restriction, the same restrictions that every school should have. Like I said, that would level the playing field, but it is not going to happen. Its just my opinion of what should happen. Of course, I also don't think that you should be able to pay tuition to attend a public school. Attending school where you live is the only real way to level the playing field.

I don't understand why schools should have attendance restrictions. I feel that I (as a parent) should have the right to choose the school that best fits the needs of my child. I don't think that all schools are created equal, even public schools. Even if I'd have sent my children to public schools, I know with 100% certainty, it wouldn't have been to our "resides" school, for either academic or athletic reasons.

I don't understand why schools should have attendance restrictions. I feel that I (as a parent) should have the right to choose the school that best fits the needs of my child. I don't think that all schools are created equal, even public schools. Even if I'd have sent my children to public schools, I know with 100% certainty, it wouldn't have been to our "resides" school, for either academic or athletic reasons.

You will be able to admit, however, that as long as there is an option to go wherever you want to, the playing field for athletics will not be equal.

There was a lot of smack being talked when they were up by 17 about how NCC can't beat Danville, then after the game I heard people in the same are making comments about how playing private schools is unfair. That is quite a transition.

Huh. Funny how quickly things change.

You will be able to admit, however, that as long as there is an option to go wherever you want to, the playing field for athletics will not be equal.

The issue here is not athletics, in my mind. To me, successful schools are more than just athletics. You'd be surprised how little athletics play in the decision making of parents at Trinity and St. X (and all other private schools).

Here's the issue overall....there is no such thing as an equal playing field. There simply isn't. And that applies to all areas of the school experience, but academically, it's probably the hugest issue....not athletics.

No one complains when Manual is winning science fairs, or Russell is winning academic honors.....No one's jealous of Trinity's state of the art science labs....

The issue here is not athletics, in my mind. To me, successful schools are more than just athletics. You'd be surprised how little athletics play in the decision making of parents at Trinity and St. X (and all other private schools).

Here's the issue overall....there is no such thing as an equal playing field. There simply isn't. And that applies to all areas of the school experience, but academically, it's probably the hugest issue....not athletics.

No one complains when Manual is winning science fairs, or Russell is winning academic honors.....No one's jealous of Trinity's state of the art science labs....

You have no doubt summed it up. However, there are many people in this state who are concerned with leveling the athletic playing field. It is not just private schools. I don't think Scarlotto, Lorenzen, or Mitchell went to Highlands for academic reasons. I think in a lot of people's minds, athletics plays a very large role. Idealy it wouldn't, but it does.

You have no doubt summed it up. However, there are many people in this state who are concerned with leveling the athletic playing field. It is not just private schools. I don't think Scarlotto, Lorenzen, or Mitchell went to Highlands for academic reasons. I think in a lot of people's minds, athletics plays a very large role. Idealy it wouldn't, but it does.

Then, if the issue is not exclusive to private schools, why should private schools bear the brunt of the animosity, the penalties, the attempts to level the playing field? That's my biggest bone of contention with this whole debate. Everyone admits that there is just as much an issue in public schools as private, yet many see penalizing, or eliminating private schools as the solution to the problem. If the same proposals were being bandied about to correct the problems in public schools, I may consider that there are legitimate concerns. As long as the target is the "unfair advantage" that privates have over publics, and no steps are taken to address the public vs. public inequities, I'll be inclined to consider the whole debate as rooted in something other than the best interests of the kids.

Then, if the issue is not exclusive to private schools, why should private schools bear the brunt of the animosity, the penalties, the attempts to level the playing field? That's my biggest bone of contention with this whole debate. Everyone admits that there is just as much an issue in public schools as private, yet many see penalizing, or eliminating private schools as the solution to the problem. If the same proposals were being bandied about to correct the problems in public schools, I may consider that there are legitimate concerns. As long as the target is the "unfair advantage" that privates have over publics, and no steps are taken to address the public vs. public inequities, I'll be inclined to consider the whole debate as rooted in something other than the best interests of the kids.

I would never level such a thing at private schools. I agree with you. I don't understand how tuition students in public schools fall under this radar. It is the same thing. Being able to accept students from all areas will create non level advantages. Like I stated earlier, there is nothing that will level the playing field except for attendance restrictions. Our state is not willing to take the steps to ensure these measures, so there will always be inequities.

There will NEVER be complete equity between schools. It's a pipe dream and those that believe that there can be are smoking the pipe.

Eliminate the private schools from the mix and what's next. Does anyone here doubt that Highlands and Male would have won their respective divisions if not for the priavte schools that eliminated them and does anyone really believe that they wouldn't win more times then not if private schools were eliminated?

Then what, eliminate all schools with any open enrollment policy at all?

What after that eliminate all schools that come from counties big enough to support more then one high school?

The ONLY way to make the "playing field" completely equitible for every school is to make every school a state champion at the end of the season. How much fun would that be?

The bottom line is that there are inequities in life and you have two choices.

Choice one is the easiest, you can complain incessently about how unfair you have it and hope that someone else will do something to make it easier for you by passing rules to do away with those that you feel have an advantage over you. I call this the Wilson Sears option.;)

The other option is much harder, no one will deny that. Make yourself, your product, your school, whatever, so good that you can compete with those you think have an unfair advantage.

There will NEVER be complete equity between schools. It's a pipe dream and those that believe that there can be are smoking the pipe.

Eliminate the private schools from the mix and what's next. Does anyone here doubt that Highlands and Male would have won their respective divisions if not for the priavte schools that eliminated them and does anyone really believe that they wouldn't win more times then not if private schools were eliminated?

Then what, eliminate all schools with any open enrollment policy at all?

What after that eliminate all schools that come from counties big enough to support more then one high school?

The ONLY way to make the "playing field" completely equitible for every school is to make every school a state champion at the end of the season. How much fun would that be?

The bottom line is that there are inequities in life and you have two choices.

Choice one is the easiest, you can complain incessently about how unfair you have it and hope that someone else will do something to make it easier for you by passing rules to do away with those that you feel have an advantage over you. I call this the Wilson Sears option.;)

The other option is much harder, no one will deny that. Make yourself, your product, your school, whatever, so good that you can compete with those you think have an unfair advantage.

I agree. There will always be inequalities. The key is finding out the way to beat the schools that start with an advantage. That has been my whole point. Why complain about it if we know nothing is going to be done. Why do we even have the debates? Let's just know that things are going to be how they are going to be, and try to make ourselves competative. I wouldn't give near as much mert to a state championship that didn't involve beating every team in my class. The question is why are the arguments even considered if we know nothing is ever going to change.