Who is the greatest Kentucky high school football coach of all time?

Diogenes

When Beatty retires, it will be him. 6 appearances in 7 years, and 5 titles. A national top 5 ranking and best KY team of all time in 02.
What Trinity coach has not won a title?????

I would go with someone like Smith that took a program from loserville to success! To me that is the best indicator.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Trinity coach has not won a title?????

I would go with someone like Smith that took a program from loserville to success! To me that is the best indicator.

Of Trinity's ten coaches, five have won titles and five have not. I guess that theory about anybody can win state at Trinity is very sound. To put it in perspective, Trinity and St.X have many of the same "advantages". Yet Coach Glaser hasn't won fifty games in a row, or gone undefeated, or three-peated, or even re-peated for that matter. Coach Glaser has done a fine job with six titles to his credit. But some of the things that certain men have done as coach of the Rocks is pretty amazing. FYI, I mentioned Coach Smith as one of the best in my original post on this thread.

I would throw my pick at Chuck Smith. In his short time at Boyle County he built them into a juggernaught and now they have been mediocre at best. He holds the state's second longest winning streak behind Trinity's, 5 state championships in a row, 6 straight appearances to the finals. All in around a decades time, if he stayed in HS football, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have broken alot of records. After him i would mention probably Sam Harp and Bob Beatty.

Additional material for further thought. Coach of the Year was published in this morning's CJ. I was not aware that Smith had been so dominant over the past several years.

PAST 10 WINNERS

2005 – Kevin Wallace, Bowling Green

2004 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

2003 – Phillip Haywood, Belfry

2002 – Bob Beatty, Trinity

2001 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

2000 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

1999 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

1998 – Dale Mueller, Fort Thomas Highlands

1997 – Dudley Hilton, Bourbon County

1996 – Paul Leahy, Mayfield

Additional material for further thought. Coach of the Year was published in this morning's CJ. I was not aware that Smith had been so dominant over the past several years.

PAST 10 WINNERS

2005 – Kevin Wallace, Bowling Green

2004 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

2003 – Phillip Haywood, Belfry

2002 – Bob Beatty, Trinity

2001 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

2000 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

1999 – Chuck Smith, Boyle County

1998 – Dale Mueller, Fort Thomas Highlands

1997 – Dudley Hilton, Bourbon County

1996 – Paul Leahy, Mayfield

Yes and I think that '03 might have been his best effort because they had to replace Jacob Tamme at WR, Brodie Overstreet in the line and Webb at LB/FB. They were loaded with Sophomore and Junior talent in key places but went 15-0 and won AAA while only being challenged in 2 regular season games (Highlands and Pulaski, 2 teams they later thumped in the post season by scores of 44-10 and 63-14).

When Beatty retires, it will be him. 6 appearances in 7 years, and 5 titles. A national top 5 ranking and best KY team of all time in 02.

Yeah, but consider the talent level that he has to work with at Trinity. No school in KY has anywhere near the pickings Trinity does in terms of great athletes wanting to play football.

Here's the real question: if Beatty had taken over Boyle County's program when Chuck Smith did, would he have won 5 straight state titles, and gone to 6 straight title games, winning at the percentage they did under him??? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comparing what resources Trinity has at its disposal and what resources a public COUNTY school has at its disposal is very difficult to do.

Many on this site won't admit it openly, but I would bet that about everyone here, if they had to pick a guy to head their favorite program, would pick Chuck Smith in a heartbeat. And that includes many of the fans of the Trinitys, Highlands, CovCaths, Danvilles, Saint Xs, and Males of the state!

Yeah, but consider the talent level that he has to work with at Trinity. No school in KY has anywhere near the pickings Trinity does in terms of great athletes wanting to play football.

Here's the real question: if Beatty had taken over Boyle County's program when Chuck Smith did, would he have won 5 straight state titles, and gone to 6 straight title games, winning at the percentage they did under him??? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comparing what resources Trinity has at its disposal and what resources a public COUNTY school has at its disposal is very difficult to do.

Beatty would have done the same, if not better than smith...remember, beatty won national coach of the year while in Kansas City...

I wonder why so few of these "great athletes" go on to play at the next level? I would also suggest that X and Male and a number of other school have similar if not better "pickings". I wish posters could talk up their own choice without commenting on the choice of others, its not a contest.