Who is the greatest Kentucky high school football coach of all time?

Diogenes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homer Rice. Highlands, UK, Bengals. Not just a football coach. A teacher, mentor, innovator and a legend across many levels of the game, and not just in Kentucky. Name another coach with his record of winning and amount of respect on a national level to come out of Kentucky. You CAN'T. Homer wins running away.

Mike Yeagle-From 1991 through 2004 Beechwood was a titan, winning eight of the 10 state championship games they played in. Since he left Beechwood has not been the dominant power they once were.

Yeagle has only been gone for one year. I think if Tommy Bankamper doesn't get hurt Beechwood wins it this year. But it didn't happen though.

I love Lampley!! But when Beatty retires, it will be him. He has had 6 appearances in 7 years, and 5 titles. A national top 5 ranking and the best KY team of all time in 02. What will make him the greatest when we look back, is the style of offense he has brought to the high school level (inovative and always changing)!!! As a footnote, Lampley will get some credit for this catch, finding him in Kansas City... GO ROCKS!

Homer Rice. Highlands, UK, Bengals. Not just a football coach. A teacher, mentor, innovator and a legend across many levels of the game, and not just in Kentucky. Name another coach with his record of winning and amount of respect on a national level to come out of Kentucky. You CAN'T. Homer wins running away.

I think you are right but wouldn't Jerry Claiborne fit into this somewhere? Seems to me he coached a couple of High Schools in KY and then took his "wide tackle 6" defense to V Tech, Maryland and UK. Just wondered if he would qualify for discussion here.

I think you are right but wouldn't Jerry Claiborne fit into this somewhere? Seems to me he coached a couple of High Schools in KY and then took his "wide tackle 6" defense to V Tech, Maryland and UK. Just wondered if he would qualify for discussion here.

Hatz, your probably correct, but I'm not sure as to his record in high school, or as to how large a shadow he cast on the national scene, but he was definitely a legend in this Wildcat fans eyes. :thumb: Homer Rice did many, many things as a coach, teacher, AD, etc. that set him apart from most folks mentioned in this discussion. Lets face it, how many in this discussion would have had Mike Brown Sr. give them a head coaching job in the NFL. None!!!!!! Mike Brown was a legend also on all levels of the game and saw fit to give Homer the keys to what is now called the Jungle. There is not much higher praise than that in football, than having a living legend like him giving you the head coaching job of the team he started, coached, and owned himself!:ylsuper:

Im going with Chuck Smith on this one. Took a school that was a nobody, to being almost simply unbeatable. And since he left, the teams havent been the same.

And since he left the talent hasn't been the same.

I didn't know he coached H.S. in KY. What schools was he at?