Who is the greatest Kentucky high school football coach of all time?

Diogenes

No question about it in KY, Chuck Smith..... Nobody has ever won 5 straight, and went to a 6th straight which loss to a very good Highlands team. At one time, Boyle County went 3 1/2 years between losses. It was a very special thing to watch develop, going back to about 1993 when Coach Smith took over a terrible program and turned it into a powerhouse. Now, in just his second year as part of UK's coaching staff, you find them back in a bowl game (coincidence or not?), where they haven't been since 1998 I think. That's is about the time he really began to work his magic at Boyle Co. and started toward their total dominance for the next 5 years. Seems like winning just follows him.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question about it in KY, Chuck Smith..... Nobody has ever won 5 straight, and went to a 6th straight which loss to a very good Highlands team. At one time, Boyle County went 3 1/2 years between losses. It was a very special thing to watch develop, going back to about 1993 when Coach Smith took over a terrible program and turned it into a powerhouse. Now, in just his second year as part of UK's coaching staff, you find them back in a bowl game (coincidence or not?), where they haven't been since 1998 I think. That's is about the time he really began to work his magic at Boyle Co. and started toward their total dominance for the next 5 years. Seems like winning just follows him.

I agree that Smith was a great coach, but I'm going to go with Yeagle. His teams won four straight, lost one, and then won two straight, lost one and won another one. That's 7 in 9 seasons with one runner-up. On top of that, some of his Single A champs could have competed with any team in the state. His '91 team was in the Top-10 all-time in all of Greater-Cincinnati according to the Cincinnati Post.

I agree with the selection of Dan Haley. I was coached by him during his brief stint at Western Kentucky University, and he is a phenomenal coach. I believe that he's either been inducted to the KHSAA Hall of Fame, or he's going to be inducted this year. He put two of the three schools, Bowling Green HS & Paducah Tilghman, on the map. I don't remember the other school where he coached.