What should the Bengals do with the number one draft choice?

theguru

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are trying to actually win big, you get the foundation in place and then start the clock with the franchise QB on the rookie deal. That maximizes the value, and you don't spend 2-3 of those critical 5 years in purgatory.

Doesn't matter, though. They are drafting Burrow and throwing him to the fire head first. I think he'll be fine, I just forsee a couple seasons struggling to even see .500 based on how bad the roster is constructed. They have a long way to go, and the initial point I made was that the only actual thing of value to begin the rebuild is that #1 pick. Turning that 1 pick into 5 could have gone a long way.

If you are trying to actually win big, you get the foundation in place and then start the clock with the franchise QB on the rookie deal. That maximizes the value, and you don't spend 2-3 of those critical 5 years in purgatory.

Doesn't matter, though. They are drafting Burrow and throwing him to the fire head first. I think he'll be fine, I just forsee a couple seasons struggling to even see .500 based on how bad the roster is constructed. They have a long way to go, and the initial point I made was that the only actual thing of value to begin the rebuild is that #1 pick. Turning that 1 pick into 5 could have gone a long way.

They have 6 of the top 70 picks coming, in the next two seasons. Gotta hit on 4/6 of those. There’s no shortage of picks in my opinion. If they spend on even 1 guy in free agency, they could be on the path to the wild card in a few years.

They only have 1 pick in each round this year. No extra draft capital in the 2020 or 2021 drafts at this point, and very little when it comes to tradeable assets to build any either.

With their defense and offensive line, no QB is going to help. They need too many other positions at this point. Trading that pick could resolve a lot of issues.

Would you trade the pick a year later if Lawrence was available?

Would you trade the pick a year later if Lawrence was available?

Yes. I think Joe will be a great QB, I like him more than Lawrence, but I think there are so many needs on this team that no QB is going to make enough of a difference that will help them. Their offensive line and defense is beyond lacking.

Bengals are 30th in total defensive yards and 25th in scoring defense.

26th in yards from scrimmage offense and 32nd in scoring offense.

A QB won't fix all of that. I'd take @theguru's plan and milk that pick for everything that I could get out of it.

The numbers are misleading because how bad the offense was for a huge chunk of the season. We need upgrades but when the offense did their part this defense played at a higher level than those rankings.

So, he won nothing as a Bengal. You are like a battered spouse that constantly covers for their abusive husband sometimes.

To be fair if he doesn't get the injury in the playoffs they make a run. That Bengals team was better than the Steelers who won the Super Bowl.

With their defense and offensive line, no QB is going to help. They need too many other positions at this point. Trading that pick could resolve a lot of issues.

Their offensive line is not good, but also may not be as far away as people think. Honestly it will come down to Jonah Williams. As long as he doesn’t end up a bust, they can have a decent line as early as next year even with drafting Burrow first.

A guy who may end up being a possible steal and starter for the Bengals is Fred Johnson. Pass Blocking wise it has only been two games, but he hasn’t allowed a single pressure.

A qb definitely can make a team better sooner rather than later. As long as you get the qb right. At the end of the day you just never know, however if they draft him and he does end up a stud. Then that allows you to build the team up a lot faster than even trading the pick and possibly missing out on getting a stud QB.

Their offensive line is not good, but also may not be as far away as people think. Honestly it will come down to Jonah Williams. As long as he doesn’t end up a bust, they can have a decent line as early as next year even with drafting Burrow first.

A guy who may end up being a possible steal and starter for the Bengals is Fred Johnson. Pass Blocking wise it has only been two games, but he hasn’t allowed a single pressure.

A qb definitely can make a team better sooner rather than later. As long as you get the qb right. At the end of the day you just never know, however if they draft him and he does end up a stud. Then that allows you to build the team up a lot faster than even trading the pick and possibly missing out on getting a stud QB.

I hope your right for Bengal fan's sake. I don't feel they're as close as you do to being able to build around a number 1 QB pick. If they take Burrow, I hope they can and he's successful.

I hope your right for Bengal fan's sake. I don't feel they're as close as you do to being able to build around a number 1 QB pick. If they take Burrow, I hope they can and he's successful.

Do I expect him to come in next year and light the world on fire and be competing for the playoffs not at all. I think he will have an up and down rookie year with some good moments, and bad moments. I do think he will bring excitement to the team and will see it staring to click the last few games of the season. Then start to carry over to 2021 and possibly competing for a playoff spot. Then 2022 is the year I think they will be in a great position to go all out for it.

If they go Young they wouldn’t compete any better next year still. Then they still would be a year or more away because they then still would have to find their qb. People say take Young now and then Lawrence next year. The Bengals played the toughest schedule in the NFL this year and was still an overtime win away against Miami from not having the top pick. Chances are they won’t be in a position to draft Lawrence or Fields next year no matter if they take Young or not. So then you set yourself back further if you still can’t find your qb.

Do I expect him to come in next year and light the world on fire and be competing for the playoffs not at all. I think he will have an up and down rookie year with some good moments, and bad moments. I do think he will bring excitement to the team and will see it staring to click the last few games of the season. Then start to carry over to 2021 and possibly competing for a playoff spot. Then 2022 is the year I think they will be in a great position to go all out for it.

If they go Young they wouldn’t compete any better next year still. Then they still would be a year or more away because they then still would have to find their qb. People say take Young now and then Lawrence next year. The Bengals played the toughest schedule in the NFL this year and was still an overtime win away against Miami from not having the top pick. Chances are they won’t be in a position to draft Lawrence or Fields next year no matter if they take Young or not. So then you set yourself back further if you still can’t find your qb.

Maybe you're right, then again maybe you're wrong. None of us know for sure, but knowing how lacking they are at so many positions, I seriously don't see them contending for the playoffs in 2 seasons regardless of who they pick. I hope you're right and I wish them luck with whatever their decision.