What should the Bengals do with the number one draft choice?

theguru

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, is Joe Burrow the next Akili Smith, David Klingler or Jack Thompson? I am not sold on a qb that had one really good year of college football. This team has so many issues and if trading the pick nets them more picks then take them.

What were your thoughts on Carson Palmer when he came out?

You cannot make free agents decide to come to a small market no matter what you pay. Most are about "their brand". Burrows has been in an offense this season designed to maximize his talent and the exceptional talent around him. He will not have exceptional talent around him here. I hope Dalton does go somewhere else and does great so people like you are happy. He's a slightly above average QB on a team of average to below players. At least this year it's not Marvin Lewis' fault.

Depending what happens with Green. If he is back he will have two very good wrs in Green and Boyd. A very good running back in Mixon. Auden Tate showed he is a good wr to have and when you watch LSU this year, Borrow gives wrs like Tate a chance to go up and make a play. So yes he will have talent around him. Not to mention the Bengals have shown the last two times they drafted a qb to be the starter, that they do whatever they can to build the offense around him.

Now for you comment about hoping Dalton goes somewhere and does great. I agree with you and I have said many times I hope he proves me wrong and does great and wins a title. He is the type of guy you want to see do well, because he is a great guy. However, just because he is a great guy doesn’t mean I should want him to still be the qb if I am wanting to see the team I root for win. He has had his shot even with talent and he did nothing with it and was the weak spot for those teams when he had the talent around him. It is time to move on for both parties.

I tend to agree with some on here not calling for the anointing of Burrow as the next great QB automatically? For those of you not as old as I, look back through the long, long list of Heisman winning QB's and find me a HOF'er? Staubach in 1963? For every Carson Palmer, Cam Newton or Sam Bradford (good, but hardly great QB's) there's Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Matt Leinert, Troy Smith, Tom Tebow, RG III & Johnny Manziel. Jury still out on Jamis Winston, Mariota, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray & Lamar Jackson. And these are only since 2000.

Point being, just because you were a great college QB & Heisman winner; rarely translates to a transcendent talent, especially at QB.

If I were the Bengals' GM (I know Mikey's the GM) for a day or so; I'd have dumped AJ, Dalton (Bears?) & maybe Eifert if there were a taker (NE?)back earlier this year, when some desperate team might have overpaid for them & admit I'm rebuilding and start over. Then if I was convinced Burrow is the next Brady (which I hope he is, seems like a great kid); then take him and still have high picks left over to fill some of the many other holes (might also have some extras for next year too, as rebuilding takes a few years).

I think the fanbase would embrace a reboot far better than the constant trying to compete (which they rarely do), and never really retooling the entire team. The coaching staff deserves a full blown rework with their own players if the Brown family truly has faith in them.

I’m just curious what about Dalton’s play makes people think they should build around him? Not to mention after next season he will cost between 20 to 30 million a year to keep.

Do people forget we have seen Dalton when he was surrounded with one of the most talented teams in the league between 2011 and 2015 and he was the weak link of those teams the majority of the time.

People seem to not be able to get a 10 game stretch in 2015 out of their head when he was more consistent than usual, and just ignore the other 8 years of data on him. There is 8 other years of data on him that suggest that 2015 was the exception not the rule with him.

IMO I think his injury saved him with some people. If he doesn’t get hurt, I still believe they lose to the Broncos in prime time, and I definitely think they still lose to the Steelers in prime time in the rain. So if Dalton does play and they lose those same games as they did with McCarron. Then I doubt people look back at 2015 and say well but Dalton in 2015.

IMO he is Ryan Fitzpatrick but getting to do it at one place. He has games where he looks great, some where he is flat terrible and a lot of in between. He is what his stats and record say he is, and that is an average QB. I hope he proves me wrong and wins a title with someone else because he is a great guy. However, it is time to move on and hopefully find a true franchise qb and build around him while on a rookie contract for five years.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get all my keeping Dalton thoughts people may have out in one post lol.

Dalton is like being in a bad relationship with someone you love, it is much easier to remember the good times while suppressing the bad times.

Well stated fc, I think I agree you.

Carson Palmer has a pretty good college career from what I recall and not just one season.

Which is not true at all. Carson Palmer until his Heisman season only competed 56% of his passes. Palmer until his Heisman year basically had a one to one td to interception ratio. Then Palmer his senior year tore it up, specifically in his last 6 games to go win the Heisman.

So even Palmer only had one good college season. Which is why I asked what your thoughts of him coming out were.

IMO, only one of those seasons should be considered good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69550[/ATTACH]

Exactly! Everyone was excited as can be when they got Palmer, and he only had one good season too.

A lot of the time the QBs that fail are the QBs who literally only started one year and left early. Borrow has started two years, been around in big environments and now about to play in the biggest environment possible in the playoffs. He is going to be well prepared for the NFL.

There is so much that needs improvement on this team. Getting Burrow is fine, but what are the chances we could get a LB like Simmons (Clemson) or Murray (Oklahoma) AND a QB like Hebert or Tua by trading down?

They probably could trade down a few picks and still get a Tua or Herbert. Then you are running the risk of Tua never being the same. Then Herbert who IMO is going to be a bust. He has started every year and is still considered inconsistent, while even playing behind what people considered one of the best lines in the NFL.

So in theory trading down is great if the qb you eventually pick ends up being a true franchise QB. However, if you trade down and the QB you get flops and Borrow ends up a stud. Then you just threw away a chance to change the franchise.

They have a lot of needs, but getting that franchise qb speeds up the process much faster than anything else.