For those who think Michigan should be in the title game...

mobaar

do you actually think they're the #1 team in the country?

I've seen VERY few people argue that Michigan is the #1 team. Pretty much everyone admits that Michigan is the #2 team in the country.

I could care less if the #2 team is left out of the title game. The point is to find the #1 team.

And if all goes the way the Michigan fans say it will (OSU beats Florida by a healthy margin), won't Michigan end up as the #2 team in the country? After all, all those coaches who voted UM #3 to keep them out of the title game will vote them back to #2, especially after a Florida loss.

So really, the system is working fine. If all goes according to plan, OSU ends up #1, UM #2, and Florida drops to at least #3.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen VERY few people argue that Michigan is the #1 team. Pretty much everyone admits that Michigan is the #2 team in the country.

I could care less if the #2 team is left out of the title game. The point is to find the #1 team.

And if all goes the way the Michigan fans say it will (OSU beats Florida by a healthy margin), won't Michigan end up as the #2 team in the country? After all, all those coaches who voted UM #3 to keep them out of the title game will vote them back to #2, especially after a Florida loss.

So really, the system is working fine. If all goes according to plan, OSU ends up #1, UM #2, and Florida drops to at least #3.

I am not sure if they still have the same agreement in the coaches poll, but it was supposed to be practice to vote the title game winner #1 and the loser as #2.

Im glad Michigan is so sure of success. Prior to USC's loss to UCLA USC was the #2 team in the country, but I doubt there would be as much complaining if the Trojons were in the Title game. Michigan will have their hands full with USC. As will The Great Ohio State with Florida. But I like games when a certain team is gauranteed to win.:rolleyes:

I wouldnt be suprised to see Michigan end as low as 4 in the post season standings,

Yoter

I think the problem with putting UM in the national title game is "what if they do beat OSU and the two stand as split?" Who is the legitimate #1? UM because it was in the 2nd game that they played?

This is the single biggest joke of an argument there is on this issue. UM wins on a neutral field, and it was their title...

The system is NOT working fine. There is no other option besides an 8-team playoff.

The system is NOT working fine. There is no other option besides an 8-team playoff.

And as was discussed in other threads, an 8-team playoff has the same holes in it's system that the BCS has. You have teams left out that could make an argument they should be included.

Plus, you have a whole bunch of bowls, I believe it was 24 that would no longer have a game and that is a lot of $$$$$ for schools to be losing.

And lastly, as Urban Meyer alluded to a 12-game season causes problems for a playoff. So now, you are shortening the season and causing schools to lose more $$$$.

Use the same format and have #1 play #4 in a BCS bowl and #2 play #3 and the winners of those two games play in the National Title game. The debates are usually between 1-4 teams so this one extra game should settle all the problems.

If I were in charge, here is how it would play out this season:

1) Ohio State vs. (8) Boise State

4) LSU vs. (5) USC

2) Florida vs. (7) Wisconsin

3) Michigan vs. (6) Louisville

Then play it out like an 8-team tourney and you will have a true champion. There will be two extra games, but big deal - the season lasts a month extra anyways. Play these games in the major bowls just like always with the top teams staying closer to home if possible. If you love the BCS then use it to choose the top 8 and shut up. Then, we'll solve all the problems on the field.

Use the same format and have #1 play #4 in a BCS bowl and #2 play #3 and the winners of those two games play in the National Title game. The debates are usually between 1-4 teams so this one extra game should settle all the problems.

So who is the four teams? 2 loss USC in? Undefeated Boise State make it? (If not, Boise State and all of the mid-majors should join in a big lawsuit against the NCAA.) This season could you end up with 2 Big Ten teams and 2 SEC teams? Guess that wouldn't be argued against:rolleyes:

And as was discussed in other threads, an 8-team playoff has the same holes in it's system that the BCS has. You have teams left out that could make an argument they should be included.

Plus, you have a whole bunch of bowls, I believe it was 24 that would no longer have a game and that is a lot of $$$$$ for schools to be losing.

And lastly, as Urban Meyer alluded to a 12-game season causes problems for a playoff. So now, you are shortening the season and causing schools to lose more $$$$.

You see, as a college football lover - I don't really care about the money. I care about the game, about the teams, about the fans, and about the players. If they are not good enough to make the top 8, they don't deserve to argue.

So who is the four teams? 2 loss USC in? Undefeated Boise State make it? (If not, Boise State and all of the mid-majors should join in a big lawsuit against the NCAA.) This season could you end up with 2 Big Ten teams and 2 SEC teams? Guess that wouldn't be argued against:rolleyes:

No, you must go 8 teams to get the teams that deserve a chance. Boise State would get white washed by OSU, but they were undefeated in Division I college football, so they deserve at least a chance.

Why was game 12 added over a playoff? Come on...