Toughest places to play?

OneAndOnly

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell Co.

Cov Cath, just because of the “crazies” not because of Architecture.

Elder

Never really could hear the crazies as a player on the field. Didn't notice them in football until I was out of HS. Basketball is a different story with them though.

In my experience I began to dread David Cecil Memorial Stadium as a CovCath student because of all the bad games I saw. I didn't see a single game where CovCath didn't lose by less than 14. But despite that I've always had lot's of fun memories there. It's a fun place and always has lots of energy. I can't think of any tougher or intimidating place for a road team to play than Highland's stadium.

I would have to say Mayfield. You have to be mentally tough to play there. The history and tradition alone is a tough to block out. The crowd has always been loud and supportive. I know at the time we traveled down there, one endzone was lined with cars right outside the fence and a large portion of fans were there. Another place that I won’t say was tough but rather neat was FT.Knox. They marched in what I will guess was 300 soldiers. It got our attention. It’s been years though, I’m not sure if they still do that.

I've never been to Mayfield but a guy whose team played there once said the fans turned on the headlights of their cars and trucks in the end zones so that they would shine in the eyes of the visiting team. Is this true? Anyone ever hear of something like this?

Another place that I won’t say was tough but rather neat was FT.Knox. They marched in what I will guess was 300 soldiers. It got our attention. It’s been years though, I’m not sure if they still do that.

They did this when I played there back in the day as well. Like you said, it got our attention.

When I think "tough" places to play, I think of it in terms of coaching and what can get your kids off kilter. Obviously any place that has a good team is going to be hard to compete against, but I think back to the older stadiums with poor(er) locker room facilities, maybe you have to walk through whacky designed setups, dress in an auditorium, have to walk a quarter of a mile to the field, etc.