Toughest places to play?

OneAndOnly

They’re not around anymore but Lone Oak was a hard place to get a win after Coach Haskins had them rolling the last few years before their consolidation. They had the “graveyard” in the end zone and a very annoying (at least to the visitors) homer announcer. Also no locker room on site for the visiting team. They had to get dressed at the school then ride the bus to the stadium. They only ever lost one home game in the playoffs, when Franklin-Simpson won there 20-7 in the region final in 2011. FS had a few postseasons end there before that game though. Their last home win was over FS in the first round in 2012.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to Mayfield but a guy whose team played there once said the fans turned on the headlights of their cars and trucks in the end zones so that they would shine in the eyes of the visiting team. Is this true? Anyone ever hear of something like this?

If by chance someone's headlights comes on the refs stop play. Happens if someone gets cold and starts car up.

Playing at Rash Stadium in a cold November playoff game. By far the coolest stadium I’ve ever played at, and them not having a track makes it seem so much louder than it would normally be. Such a cool place to play, especially when it’s sold out too.

I would say toughest place St.X plays is at Male. Usually good crowd and they have a homer announcer that gets the crowd going.

Male would be my #1 as well. Trinity, like X does not play well there. Worst announcer in HS football. Homer is an understatement.

Playing at Rash Stadium in a cold November playoff game. By far the coolest stadium I’ve ever played at, and them not having a track makes it seem so much louder than it would normally be. Such a cool place to play, especially when it’s sold out too.

My first experience at Rash Stadium was in 2007; state semi final game. Two things stand out to me from that night, first was we had a player tear their ACL during pregame and the second is Trent Steelman "bootleg" run at the endzone. I'm about 90% sure he was supposed to hand it off, but he kept it and the Owensboro contain player crashed on the RB running power and Trent had a wide open edge to run it in from the goal line. Then the route was on.

My first experience at Rash Stadium was in 2007; state semi final game. Two things stand out to me from that night, first was we had a player tear their ACL during pregame and the second is Trent Steelman "bootleg" run at the endzone. I'm about 90% sure he was supposed to hand it off, but he kept it and the Owensboro contain player crashed on the RB running power and Trent had a wide open edge to run it in from the goal line. Then the route was on.

I played there in 2015, it was sold out and the many goal line stands of that game made it so exciting. That crowd seemed crazy loud because of not having a track. It was an outstanding place to play and there’s been many memorable BG v Owensboro games there.

Elder was definitely the toughest place I played. Having family from there made it even more difficult. Would have loved for their goal posts to be a little bit taller. Highlands comes in as a close 2nd. Having the fans right on your back when you are on the visiting sidelines and the unique placement of the field definitely make it one of the coolest places to watch a game.

Russellville's end zones are pretty rough too. If I remember right one end zone has quite a but of uphill slope, and the other one drops off the face of the Earth. I remember going there in the late 80s and seeing one of our(Caldwell County) receivers dive for a TD catch and he went completely out of view.