Toughest places to play?

OneAndOnly

I would have to say Danville. It definitely helps when their team is top notch but I’ve seen a few Mayfield seasons end there in the semi state round of the playoffs. The main thing I remember about the place throughout the years is that they would shoot off a cannon everytime the Ads scored. As if your spirit wasn’t already broken enough, the deafening blast of the cannon made sure you felt that TD they just ran down your throat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part, toughest place to play is going to usually equal the toughest team. Johnson Central has won 15 in a row at home, and has lost only once to an in-state team since 2014.

South Warren has lost at home five times in the history of the program, and two of those were the first two games played there. They've won 45 of their last 47 games at home.

Only five teams have beaten Bowling Green at home in the last decade. Of those, three are Trinity, St. X, and South Warren. They're 60-7 overall at home in that span.

Beyond that, Rash was mentioned upthread, and I know around here that was always mentioned as a very forbidding place to play.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I feel the obvious answer has been overlooked. Since beginning to play at Marshall Stadium in the 2005 season, Trinity has a record of 96-11. While this is probably more a factor of the competition faced by the visiting team rather than the stadium itself, a road win in St. Mathews has been very tough to come by. Male has tasted victory twice at this venue, and remains the only Kentucky school to have done so. Were it not for the Shamrocks aggressive schedule their home record would easily be the best in the state, and I'm not sure it isn't anyway.

Last year North Hardin was terrible, when it rains the visiting team has to stand in water over there ankles on the sideline. Danville and Lex Cath are horrible for the visiting fans due to the narrow access to the visitors side of the field but Danville at least has concessions on the visitors side.

On the flip side of that I think Louisville Central is a good place to attend a high school football game, Belfrey is a great place with very friendly fans and Corbin has a nostalgic feel that makes it a great venue as well.

I have to add one more place to this thread. Fulton County for 2 reasons:

1. Location- They are located in the depths of far, far southwest KY with no good way to get there.

2. They have to have more mosquitoes than any other football stadium in the country, with some nearing the size of a pterodactyl.

Bell County water park and Johnson’s Central dueling banjos come to mind. Proud folks with lots of traditions but tough on the City boys.

Another interesting trip was always down The Bloody Road to Harlan where the hospitality was always great but it was just eerie being in those parts of the mountains on cold late November nights.