2007 5A Football

Jumper_Dad

No offense guys, but your barking at the wrong sandman. The one your talking to is NOT a Dixie guy. I am the real Sandman,

Actually, based on join dates, it looks like the other Sandman had the name first. :thumb:

Why let facts get in the way though?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you liked it. No spin, just fact. So you're saying Highlands wasn't a very good team this year?

Actually it's a lot of spin. Naming the best 7-5 team in state history is totally subjective, and kind of seems like a waste of time.

Did Highlands have a quality win this year?

No, not at all. This Russell team was comparable to those Boyle teams in the trenches.

Boyle had a lot more skill-type players (heck...lots of everything). But the two teams were equivalent, or maybe a slight edge to Russell on linemen.

I must have missed where Russell had a Bobby Leffew (4 year starter at Louisville and was TE and LB for Boyle), Travis Leffew (4 year starter at Louisville), Brandon Clem (Campbellsville), Brodie Overstreet (scholly to Wake Forest), Justin Nichols and others in the line.

Actually it's a lot of spin. Naming the best 7-5 team in state history is totally subjective, and kind of seems like a waste of time.

Did Highlands have a quality win this year?

Your question is a no win one for me and you know it.

If I say sure we had quality wins: we beat Dixie, Southwestern, Madison Central etc, then you respond with "Wow, Highlands program has really fallen off, if they consider wins over those teams quality wins". If I answer the question, while we played very competitively against teams like Elder, St. L, DeSales and CovCath, but we did not have quality wins, then I come across as the typical arrogant Highlands fan that does not think that teams like Dixie, Southwestern, Madison Central are quality programs.

The issue originally proposed was an assertion by you and others that Highlands team was a failure this year because of the 7-5 record. Personally, I never consider any group of kids and coaches (whether at Highlands or at any other school, including what ever team you pull for, which seems to be a mystery to most on here that you do not seem to want to clarify) that work their tails off during the off season and play their hardest a failure. Perhaps that may be a major difference between the way you and I think.

The real focus should not be whether the Highlands kids and coaches were a failure this year (and it should not for the above stated reason). The focus should be on whether Highlands had a very, very good team this year. I propose that it was. The Birds took several very, very good teams to the wire this year, including schools larger or much larger than it, including the eventual AAA Ky State champion. Elder has close to three times the number of boys that we do. St X more than that. While DeSales is close to our size, there's no shame in losing a very close game that we could just have easily have won to them on their home field. If you disagree, then CovCath's losses to Elder, Cinti X and Watterson were equally shameful and failures, were they not? And the two losses to CovCath, one at the last second and the other much more competitive that some would believe (and even then, we lost by 10, its not like they blew us out) were not shameful or failures. Unless they were a very, very good team themselves, the Birds would not have been able to play those teams so competitively logic would dictate. Keep in mind that Highlands had the second best offense in the entire Cinti area this year with 437.5 yds per game (second only to N. College Hill). There was no other N. Ky school even in the top 5. We had the twenty second best defense in the Cinti area, behind only the N. Ky schools of Npt, Beechwood, NC, Ryle, CovCath and Holy Cross. Of those, only CovCath played the type of schedule we did, so that should provide some perspective as to why our defense was only the 7th best in N. Ky and provide even more credibility to the quality of our offense. Thus, I feel real confident in my assertion that the Birds were very, very good this year and not even close to being a failure as you called them. By the way, I got my info if you doubt me from the Enquirer's site if you'd like to verify it.

I realize from your posts over the years that you are not a Highlands fan, and I'm okay with that because I understand your type, but to post that the Highlands record was a failure, thus by implication the Highlands kids and coaches on that team were a failure because you can not have a failure as a record unless the coaches and players were failures, is in my opinion a very low blow and uncalled for even if you don't like Highlands.

Were Highlands supporters (including coaches, players, parents and fans) disappointed that we did not win state this year or beat some of those teams we lost to? Of course. But that's a long way from saying a 7-5 record is a failure beyond just not winning state, which is the point you agreed to.

Your question is a no win one for me and you know it.

If I say sure we had quality wins: we beat Dixie, Southwestern, Madison Central etc, then you respond with "Wow, Highlands program has really fallen off, if they consider wins over those teams quality wins". If I answer the question, while we played very competitively against teams like Elder, St. L, DeSales and CovCath, but we did not have quality wins, then I come across as the typical arrogant Highlands fan that does not think that teams like Dixie, Southwestern, Madison Central are quality programs.

The issue originally proposed was an assertion by you and others that Highlands team was a failure this year because of the 7-5 record. Personally, I never consider any group of kids and coaches (whether at Highlands or at any other school, including what ever team you pull for, which seems to be a mystery to most on here that you do not seem to want to clarify) that work their tails off during the off season and play their hardest a failure. Perhaps that may be a major difference between the way you and I think.

The real focus should not be whether the Highlands kids and coaches were a failure this year (and it should not for the above stated reason). The focus should be on whether Highlands had a very, very good team this year. I propose that it was. The Birds took several very, very good teams to the wire this year, including schools larger or much larger than it, including the eventual AAA Ky State champion. Elder has close to three times the number of boys that we do. St X more than that. While DeSales is close to our size, there's no shame in losing a very close game that we could just have easily have won to them on their home field. If you disagree, then CovCath's losses to Elder, Cinti X and Watterson were equally shameful and failures, were they not? And the two losses to CovCath, one at the last second and the other much more competitive that some would believe (and even then, we lost by 10, its not like they blew us out) were not shameful or failures. Unless they were a very, very good team themselves, the Birds would not have been able to play those teams so competitively logic would dictate. Keep in mind that Highlands had the second best offense in the entire Cinti area this year with 437.5 yds per game (second only to N. College Hill). There was no other N. Ky school even in the top 5. We had the twenty second best defense in the Cinti area, behind only the N. Ky schools of Npt, Beechwood, NC, Ryle, CovCath and Holy Cross. Of those, only CovCath played the type of schedule we did, so that should provide some perspective as to why our defense was only the 7th best in N. Ky and provide even more credibility to the quality of our offense. Thus, I feel real confident in my assertion that the Birds were very, very good this year and not even close to being a failure as you called them. By the way, I got my info if you doubt me from the Enquirer's site if you'd like to verify it.

I realize from your posts over the years that you are not a Highlands fan, and I'm okay with that because I understand your type, but to post that the Highlands record was a failure, thus by implication the Highlands kids and coaches on that team were a failure because you can not have a failure as a record unless the coaches and players were failures, is in my opinion a very low blow and uncalled for even if you don't like Highlands.

Were Highlands supporters (including coaches, players, parents and fans) disappointed that we did not win state this year or beat some of those teams we lost to? Of course. But that's a long way from saying a 7-5 record is a failure beyond just not winning state, which is the point you agreed to.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hey guys you think maybe you have beaten the dead horse enough, I for a fact am very close to this program and many of the players read theses boards. Lets have a little respects for the kids that are affected by what is said on here. I agree Holmes has problems, but I would willing to bet that hardley any of you know what these kids daily lives consist of. For some of these young men they look to the coaches and volunteers for guidance because in some cases the home life is a disaster. I invite you to apply for a job to teach at this school and coach at this school. I feel good that I have the oppurtunity to spend the last 5 years with these wonderful kids. And you know what I due it for free, I could go some where else where winning is everything, but if I can teach a few of these kids enough about life that can get a great job or go college or even join the military and succeed I feel I am content. Am I happy about being 3-7 or 4-6 the last few years. absolutly not, I believe winning is important, but the main thing we can due is to groom these young men so that they may succeed at the most important thing. Life after school. If you disagree with me, fine, but this is how I feel about the issue at hand. And the great thing is we all have oppions, but remember we are dealing with kids here and in Holmes case some of the kids need a little more help than others. When I graduated from Holmes, my oppion one of the best schools I could attend. I learned that we are all different, we are all not rich, but when it came to football we were brothers and we picked each other up.

I have rambled long enough. DD

I believe winning is important, but the main thing we can do is to groom these young men so that they may succeed at the most important thing...Life after school.

:thumb: I agree there is more to life than winning or losing a football game.

But that is what makes this board(forum) great....Being able to openly discuss all aspects of high school football. Even if some are negative. Maybe somewhere in the discussions someone takes a little piece of info or a small suggestion back to the program and builds on it. Maybe it motivates a player to take his play up a notch. Maybe it makes a player look in the mirror and ask himself, "Am I giving all I can to the program?"

Just my 2 cents, which is probably worth about a 1/4 of a cent to me and nothing to everyone else.:D

Man, get over it.

Mason Co.'s coach is a Mercer alumni, and a good friend. You might want to focus on them, Russell might not get out of the district.

Why don't you guys just ignore him. I agree its getting old.

But I do think they will make it out of the district.;)

Not knowing what teams having returning for next year outside of JC and basing on past years I would rank a Top 10 like this:

1.) Highlands

2.) Covington Catholic

3.) Bowling Green

4.) Johnson Central

5.) Warren Central

6.) Mercer County

7.) Lincoln County

8.) Hopkinsville

9.) Southwestern

10.) Owensboro

Not knowing what teams having returning for next year outside of JC and basing on past years I would rank a Top 10 like this:

1.) Highlands

2.) Covington Catholic

3.) Bowling Green

4.) Johnson Central

5.) Warren Central

6.) Mercer County

7.) Lincoln County

8.) Hopkinsville

9.) Southwestern

10.) Owensboro

Concerning the AAAAA N. Ky schools next year, as a Highlands fan, I'm not sure we deserve your top vote yet. We have a lot of spots to fill on the defensive and offensive lines. While we have some good candidates to fill those spots, they are unproven. Plus I expect Dale to run a different offense next year. This year, Dale rode his best horse (offensive line and Kramer at running back) pretty extensively. With 4 of the 5 interior linemen graduating, plus one of the blocking tight ends and Kramer also graduating, Dale will probably choose a different offensive system (Dale's one of those coaches that adjusts the offensive style to the the players available). How well the kids pick up that new offense, whatever it is, also will go a long way in determining how good the Birds are in 07. We do have a fair number of starters returning like Stine, Cecil, Simons, Hempfling, Draper, Conner, Fitzgerald, Hurtt, Ball and Bathiany. Jurgens, Carothers and Dowling were part time starters whom also return. All these kids will have to really be leaders this off season to the younger kids and really push them hard. For us to win state in 07, some of the younger players are really going to have to step up, and its critical for the returning starters to push the young kids in the off season. And Leadership by Example is the most effective leadership out there. Hempfling in particular, as the only returning starting offensive lineman, is going to have to really be a leader in the weight room, in off season conditioning drills and in two a days this coming summer to bring the inexperienced and young kids along. Last year I felt he sat back and let the senior linemen be the leaders (which was only natural), but this year, for the Birds to win state, he's really going to have to step up and step up big. I think he'll do it, but what I think he'll do isn't important. Its what he does is all that matters. All in all, I think the Birds will have a lot of talent for Dale to use. Each of the three classes on next year's team was undefeated as freshmen, which is pretty strong.

I realize you may be unfamiliar with Dixie, since they played in AAAA this year, but with something like 19 returning starters, I'd be hard pressed to argue against Dixie being ranked above Highlands and CovCath in the 5A district in N. Ky. At least at the beginning of the season, they should be considered the team to beat in that district.

While CovCath loses a lot of starters, it still is one of the best programs in the state and will have a lot of talented, but inexperienced kids returning. Plus I believe winning state this year will re install a little swagger in their kids that had been missing for a couple of years in my opinion. They may struggle a bit early on, but I look for them to be pretty good by season end.