2007 5A Football

Jumper_Dad

While I understand that logic, I do not agree with it. And I don't for a moment think it will be easy for Holmes to right their ship. Its going to take a dedicated administration, serious money (and with the right person asking I believe some large corporate citizens in Covington would provide a lot of money for the football program) and going out and hiring the best football coach available in the country who is a great motivator of young men. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? Not even close.

Whew, I was expecting a much longer rebuttal. :lol:

Reasonable minds can see things differently, but we both agree we want the Bulldog program to be as successful as it can be.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the interview with the AD that we're speaking of? It came off horribly. This above quote from you sounds like you are taking pity on them? What district should Holmes be in so they don't have to "squeak" into the playoffs as a 4 seed? Should struggling programs be able to play down while the good ones can play up? We could always put Holmes in the district with Bourbon Co. and Grant Co. so that they don't have to "squeak into the playoffs as a 4 seed." ;)

I think that playing in a district with downstate teams would help Holmes. Making the playoffs as a home team could/would generate a buzz. CovCath and Highlands are buzz kills. I'm looking at it is a tiered process. If CovCath/Highlands are right behind X/T/H that's a big step up for the Bulldogs.

Either way, Holmes isn't going to right the ship without a long term plan. On the positive side, it wasn't that long ago the Bulldogs were giving CovCath very competitive games.

Granted Bryan Station will probably be moving up to 6A soon....but should they be over looked. Station has the potential to produce more talent than any other school in the state. That has been proven throughout the schools history. Probably not next year, but I would say that very soon they could run class 5A if they stay there long enough.

5a and 6a football in Ky requires physical play by kids with size. 5a Mercer didn't dominate the 3a Devils .....

Devils will reload in 3a .... what about Mercer ?? .... we will be watching and posting ....

Programs are year after year of sustained success ...

I doubt any of next years 5A teams would dominate the Devils.

Yeah....I have no doubt.

....and Titles are forever.

I think you can add Mercer County and Lincoln to the big questions for this class. It looks like the most competitive and balanced class of the 6. I'm anxious to see the future because I really don't think Mercer is a one year wonder and I think French is doing a great job at Lincoln. The question will be if they are lost in all the great programs in this class.

I might have to agrue against Mercer unless they find a passing game in the off season. I dont think throwing the ball 1-5 times a game will win you any state championships against 5A opponents.

Difference in 5a and 6a above 3a is in the big people ...

To win at larger levels , have to have big people who can play .... The very best at Russell would play for the big schools but wouldn't dominate games ... Big kids that can dominate at 5,6a level get scholarships ...

Playing Mercer proves the 3a schools can match skills with the 5a schools , we prove this every year with Ashland .. who always has very skilled players

Mercer will learn this and we will be watching/posting ... you'll need money to get into state champ game next year ..

Again , Devils will be back , we have a program ...

I might have to agrue against Mercer unless they find a passing game in the off season. I dont think throwing the ball 1-5 times a game will win you any state championships against 5A opponents.

I agree...however don't read this years passing stats as the status quo for Mercer. This was a year with amazing quantity and quality of running backs who could simply run at will. Mercer will adjust their offensive plan to accomodate the 5A defenses they will see next year.

On a side note, I have the utmost respect for Highlands and Cov Cath. but IMHO I don't think either of these programs would dominate this or last years Russell squad. I happen to think that Mercer beat one of the better teams in the state Friday.

I agree...however don't read this years passing stats as the status quo for Mercer. This was a year with amazing quantity and quality of running backs who could simply run at will. Mercer will adjust their offensive plan to accomodate the 5A defenses they will see next year.

On a side note, I have the utmost respect for Highlands and Cov Cath. but IMHO I don't think either of these programs would dominate this or last years Russell squad. I happen to think that Mercer beat one of the better teams in the state Friday.

I agree that Jaggers and staff had little time to complete a whole offensive system for everyone. Im guessing that it was confusing for all the players to learn a new offense and they simplified it early in the season. They went to a Bear Bryant, we have 10 plays and we will be very very good at those 10 plays type mentality. We will have to see about next year.

I saw the games, and Russell is a very good team but Trinity and Cov Cath would have won by aleast 4 TDs. They would have shut the run down and make them pass and it would have been over with.

I'll say this for 5A next year . If you can't pass or defend the pass , you don't want to play any of the Big Three from District 6 , CCH , Highlands or Dixie ! All three will be very strong at passing and very strong running games in 07 ! All three teams should have good seasons , it's just to bad all three will be in the same district !

I'll say this for 5A next year . If you can't pass or defend the pass , you don't want to play any of the Big Three from District 6 , CCH , Highlands or Dixie ! All three will be very strong at passing and very strong running games in 07 ! All three teams should have good seasons , it's just to bad all three will be in the same district !

What makes you think any of the three will be strong passing teams? CovCath loses their quarterback and at least top two receivers (probably top three). I'd guess their passing game is a question mark at best.

Did Dixie score against either HHS or CCH? I certainly didn't see anything from them that would make me think their passing game will be hard to defend.

HHS doesn't throw much. Could that change, yes. Will it? I'd guess probably not.