2007 5A Football

Jumper_Dad

Sure I'd like to have won all of those games, but if there's been a better 7-5 team in the history of football in Ky, I'd be surprised.

I think you might be surprised if you threw that question out to enough people.

As far as Holmes goes..the school as a whole has a lot of problems that go way beyound the game of football. It is fairly hard to justify Holmes spending the amount of money on their program as some other schools do when the money could be used to help the school in a number of other ways. It is easy for schools that have more resources available to them to just say " get better, spend money." If Holmes could find a guy like Redman (Male's facilities are sub par compared to what most would expect) then things could change.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing specifically what each team has coming back next year, therefore, just going on tradition and past performance:

1. Cov. Cath.

2. Highlands

3. Bowling Green

4. Hopkinsville

5. Mercer County

6. Pulaski SW

7. Waggener

8. Owensboro

9. Lincoln Co.

10. Woodford Co.

That is a lot of respect being given to a team that loses an awfully lot. :D

Never too early to start thinking about next year. What are your Predictions?

CLASS 5A

District-5-1- Christian County, Hopkinsville, Ohio County, Owensboro

District-5-2- Barren County, Bowling Green, Grayson County, Warren Central

District-5-3- Doss, Iroquois, John Hardin, Waggener

District-5-4- Anderson County, Grant County, Jeffersontown, Oldham County, South Oldham

District-5-5- Covington Catholic, Dixie Heights, Highlands, Holmes, Scott

District-5-6- Ashland Blazer, Bryan Station, Johnson Central, Montgomery County, Woodford County

District-5-7- Lincoln County, Mercer County, Pulaski County, South Laurel, Southwestern

District-5-8- Clay County, Letcher County Central, North Laurel, Perry County Central, Whitley County

Also, let me throw in from the KHSAA web site the posted third round playoff pairings for the regional championships. In 2007 in the third round in 5A, it'll be D1 vs. D4 (D1 home, for Region 1 champs), D2 vs. D3 (D3 home, for Region 2 champs), D5 vs D8 (D5 home, for Region 3 champs), and D6 vs D7 (D7 home, for Region 4 champs). The semi-states are to be Region 1 at home vs. Region 2 and Region 3 at home vs. Region 4, per the same web site.

BTW, the third round alignment changes in 2008, and presumably each year afterward if they decide not to scrap the new system.

I heard that Mercer and Harrodsburg were going to split to send Mercer to 3A, only to have them consolidate again in two years and stay in 3A. :thumb:

The Ky High School Athletic Association is way to smart to let someone with two physically-seperate high schools manipulate the system....

Well , maybe they will be the second time ...

:devil: :devil: :devil: devils will be watching ...

Yeah.... and Highlands and Cov Cath wouldnt?

Not on the line of scrimmage, neither would.

Now, HHS and CovCath might outrun or pass over the Red Devil defense... But not run through, not this past year. Russell had more "size with speed" in the trenches than I may have ever seen in 2A.

;)

Difference in 5a and 6a above 3a is in the big people ...

Sort of...

It's in the number of big men that can run AND the number of top-quality athletes (bigger the better, too) at those bigger schools that's the difference.

Simply put... it's quality in depth.

:bunny:

Now, HHS and CovCath might outrun or pass over the Red Devil defense... But not run through, not this past year. Russell had more "size with speed" in the trenches than I may have ever seen in 2A.

;)

And most of that "size with speed" will be back.;)

Russell would be very comparable to Johnson Central in 5A.

I'm not sure if the wind let up any for the later games but it made passing very difficult friday morning.

Without knowing specifically what each team has coming back next year, therefore, just going on tradition and past performance:

1. Cov. Cath.

2. Highlands

3. Bowling Green

4. Hopkinsville

5. Mercer County

6. Pulaski SW

7. Waggener

8. Owensboro

9. Lincoln Co.

10. Woodford Co.

I'll go with

1. Cov. Cath

2. Highlands

3. BG

4. Dixie

5. Hopkinsville

6. Pulaski

7. Holmes

8. Mercer ( Is this the 2A state Champion ? )

9. Owensboro

10. Lincoln

;)

Just to let ya know , Cov Cath , Highlands , and Dixie all had around 60 to 70 players the past year . You play with 8 to 10 ( or more ) players , going in and out on the D and O line . Fast , Hard , and Switch ! I know this District has 2 - 3A teams and 3 - 4A teams coming for 07 for the new 5A . What classes do teams come from in other Districts in 5A ?

The Ky High School Athletic Association is way to smart to let someone with two physically-seperate high schools manipulate the system....

Well , maybe they will be the second time ...

:devil: :devil: :devil: devils will be watching ...

I'll send you a video of the parade through Harrodsburg after we won it all.....you can watch that the rest of they year.....give it a rest dude.

Dixie played CCH close , but had four turnovers inside the twenty yard line . We moved the ball well against them . As far as HHS , it's not the first game at Highlands this year ! At Dixie week 5 or 6 I think . Dixie has 33 Sr's for 07 and most have started since soph year or played alot . Most of the "O" is back and they should have 2 strong QB's this year , 1 Sr and 1 Soph !:D I know CCH will be good again , they where very deep on both sides of the ball this year . I know alot of these players , what they lose , they have someone to step in . HHS returns there starting QB and have alot of talent returning . ( Best Team Ever ! I think that's how that goes. ) So yes , this District will be very strong on the " O " side with pass or run .:thumb:

None of this really makes any valid point, except maybe Dixie had a lot of guys win more games as sophomores than they did as juniors.

CovCath lost a ton on the offensive side of the ball. To say they'll be a good passing team next year is awful premature at this point. They broke in a new qb this season, but at least had veteran wide outs, backs, and a tight end to help him along. They lost all of them this year.

Highlands returns their quarterback and some skill players in the passing game. But, they've really gone away from throwing the ball the last three or four years.

Will the district be good, yes. Will it be full of good passing teams, I can't see that right now.

Gee, we lost to Elder (when healthy, and by a smaller margin than CovCath), St. X, DeSales and twice to CovCath (once, I'll remind you on a last second miracle pass and we all know that CovCath wasn't too shabby of a team this year). Largest margin of loss was to X by 14 and we played them the week after we played a very physical game against Elder (even the most unknowledgable fan will appreciate the adverse effect of playing two talented and much larger schools back to back). Sure I'd like to have won all of those games, but if there's been a better 7-5 team in the history of football in Ky, I'd be surprised. While we are disappointed we did not win state this year, most inside Highlands folks do not consider the year anywhere close to being a failure. But you can think what you want of course. I sincerely doubt that Dale, the Highlands players on this year's team or the Highlands fans give a hoot what your opinion is of their performance this past year.

Nice spin control. The best 7-5 team in Ky. football history. I like that. Any port in a storm, I guess.

Did Highlands have a quality win this year?