2007 5A Football

Jumper_Dad

I think that playing in a district with downstate teams would help Holmes. Making the playoffs as a home team could/would generate a buzz. CovCath and Highlands are buzz kills. I'm looking at it is a tiered process. If CovCath/Highlands are right behind X/T/H that's a big step up for the Bulldogs.

Either way, Holmes isn't going to right the ship without a long term plan. On the positive side, it wasn't that long ago the Bulldogs were giving CovCath very competitive games.

What if we went to eight classes, would that help the Dogs? Maybe 10 classes would be a better fit.

Isn't the purpose of the whole sporting thing to eventually beat someone good, not to keep looking for worse people you could beat if only given the chance?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you think any of the three will be strong passing teams? CovCath loses their quarterback and at least top two receivers (probably top three). I'd guess their passing game is a question mark at best.

Did Dixie score against either HHS or CCH? I certainly didn't see anything from them that would make me think their passing game will be hard to defend.

HHS doesn't throw much. Could that change, yes. Will it? I'd guess probably not.

Dixie played CCH close , but had four turnovers inside the twenty yard line . We moved the ball well against them . As far as HHS , it's not the first game at Highlands this year ! At Dixie week 5 or 6 I think . Dixie has 33 Sr's for 07 and most have started since soph year or played alot . Most of the "O" is back and they should have 2 strong QB's this year , 1 Sr and 1 Soph !:D I know CCH will be good again , they where very deep on both sides of the ball this year . I know alot of these players , what they lose , they have someone to step in . HHS returns there starting QB and have alot of talent returning . ( Best Team Ever ! I think that's how that goes. ) So yes , this District will be very strong on the " O " side with pass or run .:thumb:

Isn't the purpose of the whole sporting thing to eventually beat someone good, not to keep looking for worse people you could beat if only given the chance?

Eventually, yes. When you are building to that level a good coach will schedule wisely with teams his school should beat.

Eventually, yes. When you are building to that level a good coach will schedule wisely with teams his school should beat.

So Holmes out of district opponents should be....

Brossart

Dayton

Grant Cty(for an out of district challenge)

Newport(which they should anyway being neighbors -so to speak)

Bellevue

How would playing those teams prepare them for the big guns in the district? Brimming with confidence but still being led to slaughter?

How would playing those teams prepare them for the big guns in the district? Brimming with confidence but still being led to slaughter?

I'm looking at it long term. In two and three years they may have an extra 5 - 10 quality players on the roster if they go 6 - 4 or 7 - 3 in back to back seasons instead of 4 - 6 or 5 - 5. Either way, they are still likely to lose that playoff matchup with Highlands/CovCath in year one and two.

I'll agree with you on this point.

Gee, we lost to Elder (when healthy, and by a smaller margin than CovCath), St. X, DeSales and twice to CovCath (once, I'll remind you on a last second miracle pass and we all know that CovCath wasn't too shabby of a team this year). Largest margin of loss was to X by 14 and we played them the week after we played a very physical game against Elder (even the most unknowledgable fan will appreciate the adverse effect of playing two talented and much larger schools back to back). Sure I'd like to have won all of those games, but if there's been a better 7-5 team in the history of football in Ky, I'd be surprised. While we are disappointed we did not win state this year, most inside Highlands folks do not consider the year anywhere close to being a failure. But you can think what you want of course. I sincerely doubt that Dale, the Highlands players on this year's team or the Highlands fans give a hoot what your opinion is of their performance this past year.

What makes you think any of the three will be strong passing teams? CovCath loses their quarterback and at least top two receivers (probably top three). I'd guess their passing game is a question mark at best.

Did Dixie score against either HHS or CCH? I certainly didn't see anything from them that would make me think their passing game will be hard to defend.

HHS doesn't throw much. Could that change, yes. Will it? I'd guess probably not.

I think you might be surprised...........:D

Gee, we lost to Elder (when healthy, and by a smaller margin than CovCath), St. X, DeSales and twice to CovCath (once, I'll remind you on a last second miracle pass and we all know that CovCath wasn't too shabby of a team this year).

I think of a miracle pass as the Immaculate Reception or the Bluegrass Miracle that LSU had a few years ago against UK. A well thrown fade with a nice catch on the other end is not miracle. If anything, the miracle was Highlands holding the CovCath receiver in check with man coverage most of the night.

:p

Without knowing specifically what each team has coming back next year, therefore, just going on tradition and past performance:

1. Cov. Cath.

2. Highlands

3. Bowling Green

4. Hopkinsville

5. Mercer County

6. Pulaski SW

7. Waggener

8. Owensboro

9. Lincoln Co.

10. Woodford Co.

Without knowing specifically what each team has coming back next year, therefore, just going on tradition and past performance:

1. Cov. Cath.

2. Highlands

3. Bowling Green

4. Hopkinsville

5. Mercer County

6. Pulaski SW

7. Waggener

8. Owensboro

9. Lincoln Co.

10. Woodford Co.

Wow, no Johnson Central at all? I'll be shocked if there are 10 teams in 5A better than them next year.

Dixie has 33 Sr's for 07 and most have started since soph year or played alot . Most of the "O" is back and they should have 2 strong QB's this year , 1 Sr and 1 Soph !:D I know CCH will be good again , they where very deep on both sides of the ball this year .

I agree, Dixie will be very talented next year! I'd probably lean towards them over CCH on paper at #2 in NKY.

I think of a miracle pass as the Immaculate Reception or the Bluegrass Miracle that LSU had a few years ago against UK. A well thrown fade with a nice catch on the other end is not miracle. If anything, the miracle was Highlands holding the CovCath receiver in check with man coverage most of the night.

:p

While we may debate what is not and is a miracle pass, if it will make you happy how about: a perfectly thrown, extremely difficult to complete pass that is much more often than not an incomplete pass which was not successfully completed when attempted earlier in the game by CovCath and was not successfully completed when it was tried again in the second game. Is that better?:laugh: