Conner 20 Highlands 17

I disagree the whole idea of a true team is trust amongst each other. Leaders don't wait to be told that they need to lead. They lead every day at practice and on the field. I have seen 12-13 year olds give speeches at a youth halftime games to fire there team up. Then go out there and win the game. The coaches stepped back for a min and let the leader go to work.

Leading on the field and at practice is much different than cussing your team after a loss. Where was leadership when a kid missed a week of preseason practice for vacation? A 12 or 13 year old giving a speech does not even warrant a comment.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that you don't like this particular player who gave the speech for some reason.

100 percent not accurate. My problem is with the way the program is being run plain and simple and that has been my issue over the last several years. The kids can only do things the way they are taught and the results are based on the positions that the coaches put them in. Continuing to refuse changing the way things are done gives you the results that you have witnessed over the last half dozen years.

Do you feel that the talent level is the same as it was several years ago? For many years teams were beat when they showed up at Highlands. Not anymore. Coaching, talent, preparation, etc. has caught up. Just my opinion.

Do you feel that the talent level is the same as it was several years ago? For many years teams were beat when they showed up at Highlands. Not anymore. Coaching, talent, preparation, etc. has caught up. Just my opinion.

I think talent more than anything else is the glaring difference.

Definitely the talent. There JV and Freshman teams use to beat teams by 30+. They would play with the Ohio powers. Now it seems the lineman are smaller so they don't get the push on offense or defense. The last guy I seen get pancake blocks every play was Bo hebel and Robinson got push in the back field every play. In a time when kids are bigger it seems that Highlands players are getting smaller.

You can’t make everyone happy no matter what you do. You go out there and do your best no matter if your a player or a coach. I don’t believe there is a player or coach that wanted to go out in that 2nd half and watch it end in disaster. I am glad the senior stood up and said something. Everyone is going to second guess decisions during the game and even during the season when it comes to where and how to play players. I agree that there are some players who should be playing both ways but I am not a coach and don’t know 10% of what these coaches on the staff know. I do know this though, that some posters haven’t been happy with the direction of more than one program at Highlands over the last several years.

You can’t make everyone happy no matter what you do. You go out there and do your best no matter if your a player or a coach. I don’t believe there is a player or coach that wanted to go out in that 2nd half and watch it end in disaster. I am glad the senior stood up and said something. Everyone is going to second guess decisions during the game and even during the season when it comes to where and how to play players. I agree that there are some players who should be playing both ways but I am not a coach and don’t know 10% of what these coaches on the staff know. I do know this though, that some posters haven’t been happy with the direction of more than one program at Highlands over the last several years.

And changes were made in those programs were they not? And apparently for the better based upon the fact that we are not hearing a peep about those programs.

I am going to leave this subject with this. Talent level as a whole has been down over the last several years, which is why you make adjustments based upon who you have rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

And changes were made in those programs were they not? And apparently for the better based upon the fact that we are not hearing a peep about those programs.

I am going to leave this subject with this. Talent level as a whole has been down over the last several years, which is why you make adjustments based upon who you have rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Quoting Jack, but this question is for anyone. During the height of the most recent championship run Highlands had, we were told over and over again how impressive the FTJFL was in preparing future Birds for high school level play. Has the FTJFL dropped off or was that Highlands run as much a product of serious talent moving through the program as anything being done in the FTJFL?

I think talent more than anything else is the glaring difference.

HHS is close in size to 4A Boyle County. Just slightly more boys and they lost 30-0. Since HHS is playing up in 5A the talent issue is more pronounced. Maximizing talent on the field is especially crucial playing up in class and that is the coaches responsiblity. From my prospective the current system being used maximizes participation not talent.