Conner 20 Highlands 17

The talent just isn't what it used to be at Highlands. They had an awesome run and unfortunately for those now in the program, a portion of the fan base thinks that kind of run is sustainable. I don't know all the ins and outs of the Highlands roster to say which players should be playing where, but even a casual observer can tell the talent is down from years past. That's not on the coaching staff.

No one is saying that Highlands should be undefeated, favored to win state, and be ranked #2 in the nation. But, there is enough talent in the program to be 6-1 or 5-2 this year. If Highlands would've started the year out playing their best players on both sides of the ball, both the KnoxCath and Boyle games could've had different outcomes. Please do not misinterpret what I'm saying... I am not saying that Highlands would have won those games. But from what I saw, both games were winnable games. Yes, Highlands would've needed some breaks and a couple of big plays, but those games were winnable.

Highlands has 8-10 players that should be out there 75-80% (or more) of the game instead of 50% of the game. And THAT is on the coaching staff.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Highlands Freshman teams play CovCath the past 5 years to a One possession game and quite frankly could of Won of few of those only to be Manhandled at the Varsity level? What changes? So for people to say that the FTJFL isn't getting the Kids ready for Freshman or Varsity Football is Crazy. I watched the HHS/CCH game this past Thursday and it was almost the same game as years past but with HHS finally coming out on top.

Does Highlands play kids both ways at the Freshman level?

No one is saying that Highlands should be undefeated, favored to win state, and be ranked #2 in the nation. But, there is enough talent in the program to be 6-1 or 5-2 this year. If Highlands would've started the year out playing their best players on both sides of the ball, both the KnoxCath and Boyle games could've had different outcomes. Please do not misinterpret what I'm saying... I am not saying that Highlands would have won those games. But from what I saw, both games were winnable games. Yes, Highlands would've needed some breaks and a couple of big plays, but those games were winnable.

Highlands has 8-10 players that should be out there 75-80% (or more) of the game instead of 50% of the game. And THAT is on the coaching staff.

5-2 is a one game difference from what they are. People really want to be bent out of shape about one game? (That's rhetorical, btw.)

Highlands wasn't beating Boyle County this year, regardless of who played where.

So the Conner game and the KnoxCath game are the "issues." I'd say it would be pretty tough to go on the road and beat Knoxville Catholic in most years. I'm not willing to say that a three point loss to a team of that caliber away from home is on the coaching staff. As you said, a play here or there makes a difference in that one.

Conner is really the only game they "shouldn't" have lost.

I feel like most parents or fans of programs always like to say things like that after losses. That there is enough talent in the program, that a lost like that shouldn't happen. So it has to be the coaches fault. When maybe the reality of the situation is that maybe the talent level isn't always as great as the people in the stands like to believe. These same things are said at a lot of places. Who knows though maybe I am wrong and the people in the stands at all these schools are just great talent evaluators lol.

It if funny that people said that the FTJFL isn't down because it was brought to my attention at the game friday watching the jumbotron that when they was announcing the seniors that almost all of them went to FT. Elementary school. So maybe that is the issue they aren't getting the stud out of district players anymore.

I feel like most parents or fans of programs always like to say things like that after losses. That there is enough talent in the program, that a lost like that shouldn't happen. So it has to be the coaches fault. When maybe the reality of the situation is that maybe the talent level isn't always as great as the people in the stands like to believe. These same things are said at a lot of places. Who knows though maybe I am wrong and the people in the stands at all these schools are just great talent evaluators lol.

I get what you're saying. But, I'm actually arguing the opposite. My argument is that Highlands' platoon system has them playing too many kids. And, when the talent isn't there, you need to play the better players on both sides of the ball.

The decision to stay with a strict platoon system is on the coaches.

Imo the reason they are playing up is because of Covcath. If Covcath was still a 4A school, then I think Highlands would have stayed in 4A. Those two teams have basically always seemed to be together. Not to mention after Highlands dominated Covcath for years, I think some didn't want the perception that they would be running away from Covcath now that Covcath is the one starting to win that game.

For me personally I have zero problem with them being in 5A. If they want to play up good for them. Just like for any other team who plays up.

I don’t care if they play up either. It’s just doesn’t make sense to hold Weinrich accountable for Highlands playing out of their league. Like it or not they are playing out of their league.

The whole "they wanted it more argument" is one of the most overused, and least credible phrase in sports. No one goes out and wants to lose. "Want" comes in way behind talent and coaching in why teams win games.

Agree eleventy billion percent. I cringe every time I hear it. And it’s just as trite when used in individual sports. “If he wants to win this tournament, he’s got to put this ball in the fairway.” So when he pushes his drive into the rough, did he not want to win?

Back to the game, I was impressed with the Conner QB and I thought the Conner receivers made some excellent catches in the game.

You have to give a lot of credit to the Conner offense and Coach Trosper for this win.

I have been saying all year that Jared Hicks is the best NKY QB and I feel that Conner is a lot better team than they get credit for.

I have been saying all year that Jared Hicks is the best NKY QB and I feel that Conner is a lot better team than they get credit for.

Hicks throws a great ball, he has nice composure in the pocket, and I thought he was a very good high school QB.

Back to the game, I was impressed with the Conner QB and I thought the Conner receivers made some excellent catches in the game.

You have to give a lot of credit to the Conner offense and Coach Trosper for this win.

They dropped a few as well. With that said I sat next to #11 grandpa and that kid wasn’t a burner but golly did he make some move the chain possession catches. Does anybody have that young Man’s name. Grandpa had a reason to smile.

Any idea why the Highlands quarterback was replaced in the second half with the 3rd string QB, instead of the QB that starts for Highlands' JV? I thought the JV starter (a sophomore) had beaten out the young man that got the start in the 2nd half...