Conner 20 Highlands 17

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no fan of the offense as Conner was loading the box. No TE and to be candid line has issues and can’t block even across the face at all levels. Congrats to Richter cutting back with field vision. QB has to eliminate negative yards; however no pass on a slant with backers coming all day is on the staff. DB has to find the ball when in the air doesn’t anybody yell pass any more?? I guess they would rather text it. Huddy has to play offense right now our best play is the kick return. Congrats to Hicks and #11 sat next to grandpa and he always came down with a big catch. HHS did not play well, for sure but Congrats to Conner for getting the win with grit. They elected to put points on the board and gave themselves a chance to win and capitalized.

Does all this fire the coach stuff go away if they knock off CCH?

Is this really all about one kid not playing offense?

That’s putting a lot on one kid.

If they beat Cov Cath with the same game plan of last night it would be shocking. The coaching staff has 5 or so amazing athletes that are not utilized as much as they could be. The program used to succeed at 2 platoon when they had athletes in great numbers. It is hard to find a team that does the 2 platoon as strictly as Highlands. Even larger schools like Elder use their talents on both sides. Now the depth is not there to do this. If they refuse to adapt, evolution will run its course. I hope they change, there are some great coaches on that staff.

As far as putting a lot on one kid... Starting a player that shouldn’t be on the varsity field yet because you have to stick to platoon, in my opinion is putting a lot on one kid. The studs are begging to go both ways.

Ahlfeld played about 10 snaps on defense last night.

Does anyone has stats available?

I didn’t know that. That would help. Did he play on Conner scoring drives?

Trosper is a better head coach than Weinrich period.

It would have been easy for Conner to have gotten caught up in the atmosphere at DCM last night but the Connor young men were very well prepared and had a game plan and executed and stayed focused.

After the opening kickoff return for TD by Huddleston Conner could have laid down but they hung in there and didn’t fall into the trap.

This is very good coaching and leadership skills people, no luck needed.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

First of all UK Band was outstanding.

Second, Conner played with more enthusiasm and never gave up when down 14 early.

Three, time to clean the house from top to bottom. The program is stale and there are members of the coaching staff (Umberg) need to step back to the Fort Thomas Junior Football League.

Four, I have said since the 2015 season that this 2 platoon system is overrated when you have kids playing that otherwise would not even see the field. Coach would rather lose games than put kids on both sides of the ball when in a must win situation.

Didn't Umberg coach at Valdosta State?

If they beat Cov Cath with the same game plan of last night it would be shocking. The coaching staff has 5 or so amazing athletes that are not utilized as much as they could be. The program used to succeed at 2 platoon when they had athletes in great numbers. It is hard to find a team that does the 2 platoon as strictly as Highlands. Even larger schools like Elder use their talents on both sides. Now the depth is not there to do this. If they refuse to adapt, evolution will run its course. I hope they change, there are some great coaches on that staff.

As far as putting a lot on one kid... Starting a player that shouldn’t be on the varsity field yet because you have to stick to platoon, in my opinion is putting a lot on one kid. The studs are begging to go both ways.

This has happened since Weinrich took over and the slide in TOTAL talent was not as prevalent hence you have the seasons that you have had since he took over. Beau Hoge was able to mask the inefficiencies in 2014 because he was smarter than some of the guys on the sidelines to be quite frank. Could have been a state finalist in 2015 if not reluctant to use your "studs" in crucial times of the game, like trying to win and advance.

The kids on the team play hard, defense is more than solid to compete, but the offense needs a total makeover. Coach Umberg, if they are loading the box and out numbering you, then you need to make adjustments and that is not removing your starting quarterback, wide receivers and running backs to start the half. That gave Conner the momentum and from there that punched the Birds in the mouth.

Games are won in the trenches and that is what needs to be fixed, not benching guys who mental state is already fragile from the craziness that has gone on this year.

Props again to the Cougars for coming and playing 48 minutes of good, solid hard-nosed football. They deserved the win and by-golly they went and got it.

Conner did a great job of picking apart the Bird's defense last night by taking what the y were given. The Bird's offense looked really good on the one drive when they scored the field goal but even that drive was too predictable. They need a better balance between the run and the pass. They really miss Buten but Richter is showing great vision and effort for a sophomore . Congratulations to the Cougars.

The coach of HHS defense is not giving his one way players to the offense. When he coached the offense he did not share with the defense so why now.

Sad to say, we all know in today's world winning is not everything. Its about kids participating - right?

NOT.

No, I believe he was over the slot WR during nickel coverages. Would’ve like to have seen him play more on the outside on all of those passes that were just thrown up since that’s what he plays on O.

Poor #25 at some point the coaches have to step in to give him some help. That was really hard to watch.

Everyone wants to see some of these kids go both ways because of the things they can do. You can’t tell me that with Huddleston‘s motor he can’t help on a lead block or give the QB some time to make a pass occasionally? Not to mention what he could do at WR. It really baffles me. You have an NFL caliber kid playing both ways at CCH and no one blinks an eye at doing it because they are playing to win. You want to tell me about history and our guys don’t do that? News flash you are the one becoming the history. CCH has beat the Birds for years now. Time to wake up and make changes NOW and get this season turned around while you can. Zero excuses! You play to win. I don’t care if 4-5 guys have play every single snap. You play to win...period.

The coach of HHS defense is not giving his one way players to the offense. When he coached the offense he did not share with the defense so why now.

Sad to say, we all know in today's world winning is not everything. Its about kids participating - right?

NOT.

That’s not what I was told. I was told Weinreich said the offense could have any player they wanted on defense if they thought it would help. They said they didn’t want to mess up the chemistry on the defense. I sure hope that’s changed as of these last two weeks.