The Public vs. Private Finals

Cynical

Some do and some don't. Or would you argue that the Yankees/Red Sox do NOT have an unfair advantage when they can put a $200 million payroll on the field and the Reds cannot?

Sometimes there is an unfair advantage and sometimes there is not. The question is "Is there one here."[/QUOTE]

Guess that would be where you define as "here"? The "privates" are no more alike than the "publics", there are some haves and some have-nots on both sides of the fence!! Across the board, I'd wager the publics have a HUGE advantage when it comes to facilities, with only a few notable exceptions. Tradition--I think you'll find that in many on both sides!! Somewhere along the line you guys have to end up some day admitting this argument is really about a handful of institutions who dominate 4-A football, the so-called club sports and women's sports!!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some do and some don't. Or would you argue that the Yankees/Red Sox do NOT have an unfair advantage when they can put a $200 million payroll on the field and the Reds cannot?

Sometimes there is an unfair advantage and sometimes there is not. The question is "Is there one here."

The Yankees/Red Sox do not have an unfair advantage.

What MLB "rule" prevents the Reds from having a 200 million payroll?

To relate it back to HS sports what KHSAA "rules" prevent any school from doing what any other school is doing?

To relate it back to HS sports what KHSAA "rules" prevent any school from doing what any other school is doing?

I am not trying to start an arguement, I am just looking for an answer to a question I have had for an extremely long time.

If a school is privately funded and does not receive state funding to operate; how can it qualify to be supported by the State Department of Education, the KHSAA and/or any other association that is funded by federal and/or state dollars. Secondly, if they are part of these associations that are funded by federal and/or state dollars, why do they not have to participate in educational things such as CATS testing. Thirdly, if we are going to fund or work with them via the KHSAA and the State Department of Education, why don't they receive transportation as well.

It seems to me that some wires are being crossed somewhere. Either include them on everything or exclude them on everything. Can someone explain this situation to me???

The rule of business and trying to make a profit.

I would say that somewhere there is a rule against giving out scholarships to out of district students who cannot afford the tuition of a public school as is done at private schools.

I am not trying to start an arguement, I am just looking for an answer to a question I have had for an extremely long time.

If a school is privately funded and does not receive state funding to operate; how can it qualify to be supported by the State Department of Education, the KHSAA and/or any other association that is funded by federal and/or state dollars. Secondly, if they are part of these associations that are funded by federal and/or state dollars, why do they not have to participate in educational things such as CATS testing. Thirdly, if we are going to fund or work with them via the KHSAA and the State Department of Education, why don't they receive transportation as well.

It seems to me that some wires are being crossed somewhere. Either include them on everything or exclude them on everything. Can someone explain this situation to me???

Private schools are not supported by the State Department of Education, the KHSAA or any other federal/state association.

The KHSAA is a voluntary organization, meaning that schools who want to compete against other schools and wish to participate in post season play, voluntarily pay fees to be a part of the Association. The money, as far as I know, does not got back to ANY schools, public or private.

This may or may not answer your question.

For private schools to have diplomas mean more than the paper they are printed on, the school has to be accredited. With this process, many of the same testing requirements are present, and some private schools that are college prep have higher requirements to achieve than public schools. If a school is not acredited, then it becomes like those basketball schools that some have heard about that become "diploma mills". Also, most private schools require that teachers have been certified and approved by the KY state department of Education.

This may or may not answer your question.

For private schools to have diplomas mean more than the paper they are printed on, the school has to be accredited. With this process, many of the same testing requirements are present, and some private schools that are college prep have higher requirements to achieve than public schools. If a school is not acredited, then it becomes like those basketball schools that some have heard about that become "diploma mills". Also, most private schools require that teachers have been certified and approved by the KY state department of Education.

On a sidenote, nice teaching gig is to work your 27 years in public schools retire and draw your retirement salary and then get a teaching job in a private school and draw both salaries. It could end up being a nice yearly salary.

Would you care to count the number of turn overs for the losing teams. You'll find that their loses, outside of Ryle, had less to do with an unfair advantage, and more to do with lack of execution. That's if you'd like to see that, b/c it'll be damaging to the public's case.

I would agree with you statement. However, the widest advantage gap in numbes is with X and T. They simply are the biggest school in the state, as far as the male population goes. I think some of this could be corrected if you had to at least live in the same county as the private institution in which you attend. I would also like to see tuition students in public schools be eliminated, but thats just me.

The rule of business and trying to make a profit.

I would say that somewhere there is a rule against giving out scholarships to out of district students who cannot afford the tuition of a public school as is done at private schools.

Huh? The Reds can pay whatever they want. They are under no "rule" to make a profit. If you win the lottery and you really, really want the Reds to win you could sign the best players and fufill your dream.

I have no clue what you are referencing in so far as scholarships. Scholarships as basically earned by academics on an entrance test. You may have meant tuition assistance in that private students (in or out of district) can receive that based on family income and a public student paying out of district tuition would not. ????

• 4 weeks later...
Relax a bit. Don't let your frustration spoil your sense of humor.

What you are talking about is more of a systematic change that if it is to work, must come from a groundswell at the local level. And I am all too familiar with Eastern Kentucky and educational politics. More than I care to admit. A few years ago, several schools made a request to simply recover some of their coal severance money for education and ended up with KERA. So some are naturally gunshy about asking for any more "reform". Others are perfectly content with the little kingdoms that in many counties, the local school systems have become. They in some areas, are the county's largest employer (outside of the county government, and bigger than them sometime), and change is very slow and can only happen five members at a time, meaning the local board of education.

And it won't change until the foiks making those decisions quit doing what is best for their adult peers and begin doing what is best for the students in positioning them for a global economy.

And for my money by the way, the very commerce driven product you speak about is exactly why we have seen an explosive growth in private education and home schooling in the last 10 years. I never said you were wrong, just misdirecting your venom. KDE, KHSAA, even the legislature, cannot change things in local areas until the folks in those areas want to see change.

Didn't the local school districts vote for a private/public split?:devil:

• 4 weeks later...
No offense Cats Eye, but Pburg is not the bets example of a public school to use considering that they have had their run in's with the KHSAA for playing illegal players.

Correct me if I'm wrong; however, what Pburg was reprimanded for is only illegal if you are in a public school. If it were Pburg Catholic they would have been o.k.

Correct me if I'm wrong; however, what Pburg was reprimanded for is only illegal if you are in a public school. If it were Pburg Catholic they would have been o.k.

You must be wrong. I can't find any "public only" or "private only" rules on the KHSAA website. If you know different, please clue us in.

After many months following this thread and others I thought I would throw out what I feel on this issue. (So have at it.)

My first choice is to have one class. I know that this view is held by very few if anyone else. I just look at it as 14 to 18 year old kids playing a sport for their high school against 14 to 18 year old kids at another high school. To me it is that simple.

My last choice is to seperate. Instead of taking a path of segregation I just feel inside that we should continue on a path of desegregation.

However, like most here, I will have to settle for some where in between because that is where we are at. And like most people here, I will continue to voice my opinion and take the actions that I can to further my own personal choice.