The Public vs. Private Finals

Cynical

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious....when was the last time all 4 All "A" final teams were private?

I know, curiosity killed the cat.... :lol:

I do not know the answer to that question. I do know that in the 9th region, the privates pass the trophy among themselves. Only 2 publics have ever won it. Newport in 2000, I believe, and Walton Verona (no longer in the 9th region) right when it began back in the early 1990's.

Since the All "A" isn't a KHSAA evnet maybe you can do like the field hockey people in Jefferson County did. Years ago Scared Heart started the Apple Tournament, a season opening tournament of all field hockey teams in Jefferson County. Other thenr their championship at the end of the season it's the biggest event for field hockey. As more public schools added field hockey they decided that they didn't like the fact that private schools dominated the Apple tournement so they started a public school tournament. They still play in the Apple mind you, but they have their own segregated tournament later. They've done the same thing in volleyball, holding an all public tournament arround the saem time as the volleyball LIT.

So how about the powers that be in the public schools start an All "A" public tournament?

Since the All "A" isn't a KHSAA evnet maybe you can do like the field hockey people in Jefferson County did. Years ago the Scared Heart started the Apple Tournament, a season opening tournament of all field hockey teams in Jefferson County. As more public schools added field hockey they decided that they didn't like the fact that private schools dominated the Apple tournement so they started a public school tournament. They still play in the Apple mind you, but they have their own segregated tournament later.

So how about the powers that be in the public schools start an All "A" public tournament?

You make a great point in that any separation of public and privates by the KHSAA DOES NOT MEAN THAT a separation for the ALL A will occur. It is no different than any other regular season tourney.

I REALIZE THAT.

I pointed them out as examples where when the public schools felt they were unable to compete they started their own segregated tournaments while still playing in the inclusive ones. Kind of like having your cake and eating it as to.

And I would be very upset if a separation ever does occur the powers that be that run the All "A" would make it as well as the Apple and the Volleyball LIT all private tournaments.

If the publics push enough that they achieve the separation then I for one support full separation. If they don't want to play in the post season why should any private school play a public school in the regular season?

I REALIZE THAT.

I pointed them out as examples where when the public schools felt they were unable to compete they started their own segregated tournaments while still playing in the inclusive ones. Kind of like having your cake and eating it as to.

And I would be very upset if a separation ever does occur the powers that be that run the All "A" would make it as well as the Apple and the Volleyball LIT all private tournaments.

If the publics push enough that they achieve the separation then I for one support full separation. If they don't want to play in the post season why should any private school play a public school in the regular season?

Same reason why a 2A or 3A football school would play a 4A school.

Not playing would be sour grapes. You are not playing the game the way I want, so I am going to take my ball and go home.

Public/Private classes WOULD BE NO DIFFERENT than 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A classifications that are presently in play. Should 4A schools be upset and not schedule schools below them in class since they are not allowed to compete for a 1A, 2A, or 3A title?

Curious....when was the last time all 4 All "A" final teams were private?

I know, curiosity killed the cat.... :lol:

I don't think it's ever happened ...

There were three final four teams in 2006 (Owensboro Catholic, Bishop Brossart and Newport Catholic).

There have been years where both finalists were private schools ... 1991 (University Heights beat Kentucky Country Day) and 2003 (St. Henry beat Rose Hill) come to mind. Lexington Catholic and University Heights used to rule the All A, but I don't know that they ever played in the championship game.

Probably more than you wanted to know ...