The Public vs. Private Finals

Cynical

AND follow unfunded mandates. Yep, all cash for the taking. Also do not forget to provide a free ride (literally) called transportation.

That free ride in some spots in the state is provided to the private school students too. Bishop Brossart students can ride the Campbell County school busses, to and from school each day.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of you are wrong. There is nothing from state funding that allows for the construction and maintenance of athletic facilities. The ADA is clearly spelled out along with state funding for any additional programs (transportation, food). Further, TC does not understand site base responsbilities vs. school district. What portion of state funds is allowed for non ciricculum construction is severly limited.

Lastly, what other portion of funding? What kind of question is that, you know booster clubs and fund raising does exist in public school. Just ask Beechwood and Highlands.

So does the bonding provide 100% funding for construction?

That free ride in some spots in the state is provided to the private school students too. Bishop Brossart students can ride the Campbell County school busses, to and from school each day.

True, and while few at the high school level there take advantage of the buses; it's hardly free!! The BBHS parents could buy some serious buses with the taxes they pay to the County!!

The school didn't pay for it. It was given to the school by the taxpayers.
Are you implying that Public Schools are an entity that is completely separate from and funded by taxpayers? Are you also implying that public education is absolutely free? Are you implying that any and all improvements to public school facilities are gifts from the taxpayers?

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought the taxpayers were the owners of the public schools. Last time I voted my choices did include candidates for school board. Don't school boards hire superintendents as well as set policy and approve capital expenditures. Isn't education a part of every political party's platform. Isn't public education an investment in the future of America that we as voters and taxpayers choose to invest in?

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Are you implying that Public Schools are an entity that is completely separate from and funded by taxpayers? Are you also implying that public education is absolutely free? Are you implying that any and all improvements to public school facilities are gifts from the taxpayers?

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought the taxpayers were the owners of the public schools. Last time I voted my choices did include candidates for school board. Don't school boards hire superintendents as well as set policy and approve capital expenditures. Isn't education a part of every political party's platform. Isn't public education an investment in the future of America that we as voters and taxpayers choose to invest in?

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure if we choose to invest in it. But I will ask the Sheriff if I can opt out of my property taxes this 12/31.

I agree with your sentiment though.

The public library is free, the police protection is free, the defense of our country is free, the ability to conduct commerce is free, yada, yada, yada. I welcome the chance to opt out of any and all taxes. Particular Social Security, I am sick and tired of carrying the Greatest Generation :cool: (please note as joke, just to prove a point.)

There are community obligations, first and foremost to every state in this country is public education. Those who chose not to use it do so by their free choice. That does not include a rebate nor should it.

The public library is free, the police protection is free, the defense of our country is free, the ability to conduct commerce is free, yada, yada, yada. I welcome the chance to opt out of any and all taxes. Particular Social Security, I am sick and tired of carrying the Greatest Generation :cool: (please note as joke, just to prove a point.)

There are community obligations, first and foremost to every state in this country is public education. Those who chose not to use it do so by their free choice. That does not include a rebate nor should it.

:thumb:

So does the bonding provide 100% funding for construction?

A set portion of ADA is set aside for and limited to construction purposes for schools. It is a fairly small amount. The bonding of a school district assumes a natural growth of the tax base to allow for this small amount to become greater over time (due to the growth of tax base). The local problem is the STATE assumes the growth, not the local district. So a good tax base actually results in less ability to bond. But to the simple question, yes bonding typically provides for full construction. Each district should have an operations budget and a capital expense budget. Similar to a city with a limited operations budget and wants more police but has a good road fund and paves new streets.

A set portion of ADA is set aside for and limited to construction purposes for schools. It is a fairly small amount. The bonding of a school district assumes a natural growth of the tax base to allow for this small amount to become greater over time (due to the growth of tax base). The local problem is the STATE assumes the growth, not the local district. So a good tax base actually results in less ability to bond. But to the simple question, yes bonding typically provides for full construction. Each district should have an operations budget and a capital expense budget. Similar to a city with a limited operations budget and wants more police but has a good road fund and paves new streets.

So how long would it take a school district to be in position to build a new HS after they had just finished building a new elementary school? Just trying to give the BGP posters an idea of the time frame publics must go through to take on huge building projects. And to realize, it is NOT an open checkbook to build when and how they see fit.

To all recent posters: Please read the last part of my post #85. I tried to make a very narrow point which certain persons have expanded like the First Amendment: Regardless of how they are funded, of whether they are part of an unfunded mandate, of whether they are paid for by bonds or coupon drives or discounts on bags of Ruffles, some public schools have very nice athletic facilities (more accurately, at least Henry Clay does) which are comparable to and may be better than those of some private schools. And if the quality of such facilites has a bearing on the "level playing field" issue, then I don't think it is a significant bearing. I know that taxpayers pay for these facilities and for many other things we enjoy in this country. One of the things they do not pay for is private school facilities. I understand and accept that as the way it is. This is my last post on this thread. I guess I really struck a nerve with some people, not intending to.

TCJKBT: I would hazard a guess that there are some private schools with great facilities. I would guess there are public schools with great facilities. I would guess that there are some private schools with poor to no facilities. I would guess that there are some public schools with poor to no facilities.

Please continue posting, I enjoy the debate and having my knowledge and view of things expanded as long as it stays civil and doesn't become personal attacks.

I would also assume that both sides have similar issues. Over zealous parents and fans that "know" more than the coaching staff and administrators. Frustrations of talented athletes with poor work ethic skills. Lack of funds that are needed for the athletes.

I would assume that none of us have a complete and accurate view of how the other side lives. As Erma Bombeck pointed out, it is always greener over the septic tank.

So how long would it take a school district to be in position to build a new HS after they had just finished building a new elementary school? Just trying to give the BGP posters an idea of the time frame publics must go through to take on huge building projects. And to realize, it is NOT an open checkbook to build when and how they see fit.

New funds, free and clear and above current expenses, including payroll, you can figure you would need about 250,000 in annual funds to construct 5,000,000 and assuming no growth at all! However, if growth is a district option, that 250,000 could become double that. However a new high school under state standards today can figure somewhere between 40 and 50 million, minimum.

New funds, free and clear and above current expenses, including payroll, you can figure you would need about 250,000 in annual funds to construct 5,000,000 and assuming no growth at all! However, if growth is a district option, that 250,000 could become double that. However a new high school under state standards today can figure somewhere between 40 and 50 million, minimum.

And the basic time limit to get that much?

TC you also need to understand that no private school pays any taxes either and they shouldn't. However, they do enjoy the services that taxes have created and provided. There are two good sides to the street. It is not a one way road. Also, many private schools have enjoyed significant revenue due to a proper tax system that allows donations to be done.