The Public vs. Private Finals

Cynical

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what is your school. I went to a public school and had to pay for my own books and supplies. I will use Pburg for instance. If Pburg could go private that would extend their pool of talent. They are many great athletes at Allen Central that would love to play for a good program. They could also feed off from surrounding counties. If that isn't an advantage then i don't know what is.

You don't have to go private. Nothing is stopping you from accepting students from surrounding areas except yourselves. See public independent schools districts, see public Kenton Co (Dixie, Scott, Simon Kenton) open enrollment.

You don't have to go private. Nothing is stopping you from accepting students from surrounding areas except yourselves. See public independent schools districts, see public Kenton Co (Dixie, Scott, Simon Kenton) open enrollment.

Amen!!!!!! Accept as many students as you can as long as you don't start overcrowding your school system. If the kid wants to go to your school because it is the better fit then give the kid a chance.

You ever notice that you don't see too many people complaining from public programs that have success. If you look at the schools that have won in the past that are public, very few if any want change. I for one don't and many of the publics in NKY seem to not want it either. When you don't win, you don't go looking for ways to change the system to make it easier for your team to win. You definately don't cry about it in a post game interview either. BOO HOO!! It's not fair! Is this politics or high school football!:creepy: Maybe a little of both.

You ever notice that you don't see too many people complaining from public programs that have success. If you look at the schools that have won in the past that are public, very few if any want change. I for one don't and many of the publics in NKY seem to not want it either. When you don't win, you don't go looking for ways to change the system to make it easier for your team to win. You definately don't cry about it in a post game interview either. BOO HOO!! It's not fair! Is this politics or high school football!:creepy: Maybe a little of both.

Well spoken, sir!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sorry, but you are wrong there. In my county for instance, the county schools limit the number of students that can attend our independent school. If they could they would eliminate it. We don't have free choice in Kentucky. Until our legislature agrees to let our tax monies follow the child, and let the parents decide on a school, we won't have this option. Some do , granted, but many do not.

Sorry, but you are wrong there. In my county for instance, the county schools limit the number of students that can attend our independent school. If they could they would eliminate it. We don't have free choice in Kentucky. Until our legislature agrees to let our tax monies follow the child, and let the parents decide on a school, we won't have this option. Some do , granted, but many do not.

But the fact remains that if the county board of education wanted to change it they could. I believe that is his point. The county boards of education in some districts in Kentucky have indeed opened that door to allow school choice for the families within their counties.

That's exactly the way it is in Somerset also Pappy. Pulaski Co. has a set limit of kids from the county to attend Somerset. They pay tuition which is given to the county system to offset the loss of tax revenue. However, any student in the Somerset district can choose to attend the county schools.

The whole public school private school debate is really getting old. I went to a public school and would love to see all the public schools beat the private schools because I do think private schools have an advantage. How ever, being a private school wont win you a state championship, hard work, dedication and heart will, wether you attend a private school or public school, thats what it takes to win. The kids from the private schools work just as hard as those from the public schools. It really doesnt matter what any of us fans think, nothing will happen in the public/private debate untill the KHSAA decides they want something to happen, and none of us on here are going to affect that. Good luck to all the schools playing next week, I wish all of you the best of luck, the better team will win, public or private !

But the fact remains that if the county board of education wanted to change it they could. I believe that is his point. The county boards of education in some districts in Kentucky have indeed opened that door to allow school choice for the families within their counties.

The county board could but there's nothing the independent school can do in these cases to force the issue and increase their enrollment.

That would be great. It ain't happenin' in Harlan County.

The county board could but there's nothing the independent school can do in these cases to force the issue and increase their enrollment.

So explain to me please,how a county board of education can restrict who can go to an independent school? Doesn't the independent school district determine who makes it there? Danville, Beechwood and Highlands never seem to have any trouble with it. Perhaps someone from one of those areas can shed some light on that matter.

So explain to me please,how a county board of education can restrict who can go to an independent school? Doesn't the independent school district determine who makes it there? Danville, Beechwood and Highlands never seem to have any trouble with it. Perhaps someone from one of those areas can shed some light on that matter.

Its pretty simple in our case. They only allow Somerset to receive state funding for a set number of out of district students. Somerset could still accept the county students but the funding for them would go to the county school. When I was in school this wasn't a problem as there was only 1 county school and it was overcrowded. Once SW opened and increased the capacity of the county system a quota was put in place. Several times over the years the city itself has annexed in more land but in each case the county declined to allow Somerset Schools to annex the students.