"Please Don't Burn Down The Town"

gametime

TO: Ohio State University students

FROM: Richard A. Hollingsworth, Vice President for Student Affairs

I'm writing to urge you all to make sure it is a great weekend for you, regardless of what the final score is. I don't think most of you need another reminder to obey the law, party responsibly, and show good sportsmanship. You're already on board with that. But, given the stakes, I'm going to go on the record, just so everyone understands. No amount of hype and excitement excuses violence or endangering your own or others' safety. Any student who is arrested for a crime that involves endangering people or property will find himself or herself on immediate interim suspension from the university....which could ruin a whole quarter's worth of academic progress, at a minimum. Under this heading come such acts as throwing objects, setting fires, disorderly conduct, vandalizing cars, assaults, rioting, resisting arrest, and impeding safety officials in their duties. Students who host parties that get out of control, who are bystanders at a disturbance (there are no innocent bystanders), who encourage others to be disruptive, or who fail to control their guests will also be immediately suspended.

The risk to your academic progress is real....eight students were expelled for their actions in the 2002 riots following the Michigan game, and there would have been more had the police been as prepared as they will be this year. Police will be enforcing the laws on and off campus, including those restricting alcohol use. Columbus safety officials have told me that there will be many undercover officers as well as those in uniform. This is not the weekend to press your luck with law enforcement. Violators may face arrest and jail time. If you drink, do so legally and responsibly. For a refresher on party guidelines and state laws, go to http://studentaffairs.osu.edu and click on the links in the Celebrate Like Champs feature.

I hate to keep harping on the serious consequences of misbehavior because I have faith that if you choose to participate in celebrations this weekend, you will party hard but party safely. After all, you are members of the best and brightest classes in Ohio State history....surely too smart to ruin a great time with stupid decisions. For more thoughts on the difference between celebrating with class and intelligence and acting like an idiot, see my column in Wednesday's Lantern.

I call it Fan vs. Jerk. The eyes of the nation are on us. It's a great opportunity to celebrate with class and show everyone that Ohio State has the Best Fans in the Land.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the note. It is ashame that due to the way things are in our society today that an administrator with any university feels they have to take this type of a pre-emptive action, but I understand.

:thumb: :thumb: I agree, it is what I like to call "act like you have done it before".............and they have.