Campbell County 97 Calvary Christian 15

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts. I think the main problem with most people is winning by a large margin in a match-up like this. If it's Campbell beating another large school in NKY by 82, the thought is "what is wrong with _____(insert losing team)?"

Second, has anyone who is supporting the run it up, press all you want, score all you can philosophy, ever been on a high school varsity coaching staff? It's easy to talk that way when you don't have to take any heat. Coach Menifee takes some heat for this and obviously doesn't care because this was an issue last year but there are very few that are like this.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's going to hurt anyone's development or cause trama if they lose a game like this. I was on the receiving end of some of these growing up but the only time I remember being angry about it was when the other team was laughing and joking one time. The other times that I remember, it was just "man, they're really good."

There are common sense ways to handle games like this without holding the ball or stalling or anything else obvious or ridiculous and everyone knows what they are. If you're actually a coach in this situation, it's wise to follow a few of them.

Thirty-two

Should have Mt. Notre Dame (OH) called off the dogs earlier when they beat Campbell Co. by 51? The Lady Camels have a pretty good team. A coach I know has a rule that 3-4 passes have to be made before a shot is taken in a lopsided game. Its life, learn to deal with it.

Second, has anyone who is supporting the run it up, press all you want, score all you can philosophy, ever been on a high school varsity coaching staff? It's easy to talk that way when you don't have to take any heat. Coach Menifee takes some heat for this and obviously doesn't care because this was an issue last year but there are very few that are like this.

It's a very easy mentality to defend, IMO. Why should I tell my team not to play simply because they are leaps and bounds better than our opponent? Those players work hard in practice to develop their skill sets and to create the gap between them and other teams. So we should reward them by telling them not to score when they get in games? How is that good coaching?

It's a very easy mentality to defend, IMO. Why should I tell my team not to play simply because they are leaps and bounds better than our opponent? Those players work hard in practice to develop their skill sets and to create the gap between them and other teams. So we should reward them by telling them not to score when they get in games? How is that good coaching?

First, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Second, there's a difference between being physically better than a team and execution. If you're telling them all (starters, second team, third team) to run and press, that is NOT good coaching. Campbell could have won by 80 without running any offense but as a coach, that doesn't benefit me. Would Campbell bring in their freshman or 8th grade team to practice their press? No, because it doesn't help them get better. Same way that running and pressing a vastly inferior team does your team no good.

Third, you are going to have to execute half court offense at some point. I wouldn't limit them to anything other than "you're going to run our half court sets." If it's getting too easy, you can say "run X but look for the low post option" that might be later in the offense.

Improving your team everyday. THAT is your job as a coach. Is not that hard.

Even if refusing to play means they are violating the district’s plan for seeding?

If its a district game they have to play. My mistake, didn’t know they were district foes. Other measures could be taken then and if they were, I’m good with the score.

Even if refusing to play means they are violating the district’s plan for seeding?

How big a deal is that? I am pretty sure that game contracts are on a year-by-year basis. Maybe 2-years with home and away being established.

Final per KHSAA scoreboard. I know that very few of you agree with me on this kind of stuff, But you can’t convince me that they were not things that could’ve been done to make this a mere 62 point victory as opposed to an 82 point victory.

As long as Campbell didnt have starters in and werent pressing anymore. I'm not sure why you and some others are upset. I can guarntee you a 42, 62, 82, 92 point lost all sucks just the same to the losing team. There really is no silver lining in man I'm glad we only lost by 62, instead of 82.

Quite honestly imo, its even more embarrassing when a team is intentionally not shooting. Is intentionally just holding on to the ball, when there may be a shot to take. To me that's a lot more of an embarrassing feeling when teams do that, than just having your backups play normal basketball.

I feel the same way in baseball. I find it more embarrassing when teams go base to base. A guy hits a shot to the wall, that would be a stand up double, but just stops at first. That's even more embarrassing for the losing team imo.

Simply tell your team in the huddle that you are going to work on things to make you better for down the road. Play a zone, you may need to go to it in a close game at some point. Run your end of the half stuff. Whether it's a weave, 4 corners, whatever you run when you are playing for the last shot. Do that every possession for a minute+ And then run a set. Above all don't push the ball. Make it about improving for the future.