Dallas Police Officer Tries To Enter Wrong Apartment, Fatally Shoots Resident

AverageJoesGym

Without seeing the layout of the building and/or floors it's tough to say if going to the wrong apartment makes sense. I could see if the floors all looked the same and apartment number wasn't clearly marked on the doors she could go to the wrong apartment. But like you I would think once her key didn't work she would notice pretty quickly she was in the wrong place. Also you would think even if they didn't know each other she would at least have seen him and maybe even know he lives in the building, unless one of them was fairly new to the building. Also would depend on how big the building was I guess.

I will say, I live in a big condo complex, but my building is only 12 units, with 4 units on 3 floors. I have lived there 2.5 years and I bet I could only pick people who live in 2 condos out of police lineup. And I couldn't pick any that live on my floor. I hear people next door, but I don't think I have ever seen any of them.

But I hate people and not very social. :sssh:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's now claiming that the door was slightly ajar and that is how and why she entered and that he "did not follow her commands." She claims it was dark and she didn't realize it wasn't her apartment until after she turned the lights on. It does say that his apartment was directly above hers.

The Latest: Affidavit: Cop said neighbor's door was ajar | Fox News

She's now claiming that the door was slightly ajar and that is how and why she entered and that he "did not follow her commands." She claims it was dark and she didn't realize it wasn't her apartment until after she turned the lights on. It does say that his apartment was directly above hers.

Failed to follow her commands? Talk about a power trip....You’re off duty, no one is required to do as you say.

Failed to follow her commands? Talk about a power trip....You’re off duty, no one is required to do as you say.

I get what you're saying but that's not really how it works. Police officers don't wear anything other than a uniform to identify that they're working in a police capacity. That's the simple version of it.

I get what you're saying but that's not really how it works. Police officers don't wear anything other than a uniform to identify that they're working in a police capacity. That's the simple version of it.

But are those commands valid when you agree illegally in someone else's home? I can't imagine they are, thus the manslaughter charge.

That’s incredibly hard to believe unless she was intoxicated on some level

If it was dark enough for her to not recognize that it wasn't her apartment (based upon furnishings, etc.), then it was easily dark enough for him to not recognize someone in uniform. Besides, if the apartment was dark, then the light from the hallway would've only backlit anybody coming through the door. Can't have your cake and eat it too, in this regard.

My initial thoughts are that a.) she was mentally "tired" upon arrival at the apartment building. Thought I had read she had come off a 15 hour shift. It's quite possible she was in auto-pilot mode afterwards. We've all done that, haven't we? b.) she likely went from 0 to 60 in a heartbeat when she found the door unlocked/ajar. Her adrenaline spike overrode any thoughts to step back and process what she was seeing/experiencing.

Unless there's something else that comes out, I think this is just a perfect storm of events that culminated in a tragic outcome. Right now, I don't think it was racially motivated, but neither do I put any blame on the victim. That's just ridiculous in this instance.

If it was dark enough for her to not recognize that it wasn't her apartment (based upon furnishings, etc.), then it was easily dark enough for him to not recognize someone in uniform. Besides, if the apartment was dark, then the light from the hallway would've only backlit anybody coming through the door. Can't have your cake and eat it too, in this regard.

My initial thoughts are that a.) she was mentally "tired" upon arrival at the apartment building. Thought I had read she had come off a 15 hour shift. It's quite possible she was in auto-pilot mode afterwards. We've all done that, haven't we? b.) she likely went from 0 to 60 in a heartbeat when she found the door unlocked/ajar. Her adrenaline spike overrode any thoughts to step back and process what she was seeing/experiencing.

Unless there's something else that comes out, I think this is just a perfect storm of events that culminated in a tragic outcome. Right now, I don't think it was racially motivated, but neither do I put any blame on the victim. That's just ridiculous in this instance.

That's if her story is to be believed. Other witnesses heard her knock on the door and tell him to open it. The police moved for a manslaughter charge pretty quick for it to be just a tragic accident.

That's if her story is to be believed. Other witnesses heard her knock on the door and tell him to open it. The police moved for a manslaughter charge pretty quick for it to be just a tragic accident.

Oh, absolutely. It all hinges on what actually happened. Did she knock? Was the door ajar? Were the lights off in the apartment? All of that has an impact.