Dallas Police Officer Tries To Enter Wrong Apartment, Fatally Shoots Resident

AverageJoesGym

Gotcha.

I'm not sure what the specifics are in each of those categories, but this case doesn't seem like a premeditated murder. But it's certainly more than manslaughter too.

She's probably looking at a life sentence with the possibility of parole at some point.

20-30 years with a possibility of parole sounds right.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, the jury did come back and ask for clarification on the definition of manslaughter, and then went ahead and opted to find guilty on the Murder charge.

The guy was sitting on his couch eating ice cream, right?

I admittedly have not followed this case as closely as others have, but I think the jury likely rendered the correct verdict.

Sad case and justice was metted out properly here. Unfortunately, we will see this more often with the lower standards police departments now have in the hiring process. It's a dangerous cycle for a profession very few want to now enter.

How did the Dallas PD hiring standards cause this?

Hard to say without knowing the specifics on the process (something we'd never know), but it's clear this woman had no business being a cop.

Maybe so. But I remember when I was in college I was tired one night and I had my mind on something else and walked into the wrong dorm room. Getting confused and going to the wrong door says nothing about her training or the hiring process.

Dallas PD Academy is 36 weeks long then they are in field training for an additional 24 weeks...if she wasn't fit for the job, you'd think they'd have noticed during that time.

I'm not excusing her actions in any way.

Maybe so. But I remember when I was in college I was tired one night and I had my mind on something else and walked into the wrong dorm room. Getting confused and going to the wrong door says nothing about her training or the hiring process.

Dallas PD Academy is 36 weeks long then they are in field training for an additional 24 weeks...if she wasn't fit for the job, you'd think they'd have noticed during that time.

I'm not excusing her actions in any way.

I agree that you can't blame the training or the hiring practices for this, again, without knowing the details.

Also, walking into someone else's apartment isn't the issue here... Killing a man sitting on his couch is. I could understand how someone may think that some of her training could or should have prevented that.

How did the Dallas PD hiring standards cause this?
Standards across the nation have dropped. Larger departments used to require a college degree but that is no longer the case. Other departments required a spot-free criminal history. Now, some allow some misdemeanors in the past.

But don't take my word for it.

Dallas City Council Plans Vote to Relax Police Hiring Standards to Bring On More Officers - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Edited by bugatti

Standards across the nation have dropped. Larger departments used to require a college degree but that is no longer the case. Other departments required a spot-free criminal history. Now, some allow some misdemeanors in the past.

But don't take my word for it.

Dallas City Council Plans Vote to Relax Police Hiring Standards to Bring On More Officers - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Are you saying that she was under-qualified when she was hired? I'm not questioning that it is harder and harder to hire police officers, my question was about this case and what failures there were in her hiring.

Edited by bugatti

Was training the cause? No. But everything wrong that happens isn't caused by just one thing. Did a lack of training contribute to the cause? Probably. Did her inability to process what was happening in the moment contribute to the cause? Probably. We don't know what her history was involving men or African-American men was? Was she scared of them? Did she have a bad history with them? Who knows? But if she did, that could have contributed. Could mental fatigue have been a factor? Maybe. But to say one thing caused this is unlikely. It was the culmination of several things, much like most things these days.

Edited by bugatti

Was training the cause? No. But everything wrong that happens isn't caused by just one thing. Did a lack of training contribute to the cause? Probably. Did her inability to process what was happening in the moment contribute to the cause? Probably. We don't know what her history was involving men or African-American men was? Was she scared of them? Did she have a bad history with them? Who knows? But if she did, that could have contributed. Could mental fatigue have been a factor? Maybe. But to say one thing caused this is unlikely. It was the culmination of several things, much like most things these days

That’s why she only got 10. I disagree with it, it seems too light. Locking her up and throwing away the key isn’t the answer either.

Sentenced to TEN years. What an absolute joke.

That's absolutely crazy. If you take away the whole police officer thing, and change the scenario to "person with concealed carry gets confused and walks into the wrong apartment, shoots and kills the apartment owner while they're sitting on their own couch watching TV", I struggle to see a jury only giving that person 10 years.

Then again, Larry Mahoney was only given 16 years for killing 27 people in the Carrollton bus crash. Only ended up serving 10 years. I can't even begin to comprehend that one.

The courts got the conviction right here, but man oh man did they ever get the sentence wrong.