Top 5 coaches in the state

Shrek 79

David Buchanan, Mason County High School. They didn't know how to spell football until he came to Mason County 11 years ago. Since then, they have won 2 regional titles (the school's first two) and he lead the KY/Tenn. all star team to a victory. He was successful at Paris before he came to Mason.

I agree.:thumb: Great football knowledge that does a lot in the off season to promote high school football and make the good athletes great.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really dont have enough info to make an accurate list...but id like to hear some opinions...ill throw some names out in no certain order

Larry French-Lincoln Co.

Mike Glaser-St. Xavier

Bob Redman-Male

Tom Larkey-Rockcastle Co.

Jim McKie-Scott Co.

Dixie Jones-Hopkinsville

Marty Jaggers-Mercer Co.

Let's not be short sighted. Coaching success is measured a year at a time. This year, it's a new guy. For my money, Mike Harmon at Lafayette is clearly coach of the year. In that district, to go undefeated, is an accomplishment. Not talking about name recognition, or long term, but he is definitely worthy of this year's coach of the year consideration.

Here is what I've found:

Sam Harp has 7 titles and is 7-2 in the state title game since 1989.

Mike Glaser has 6 titles and is 6-3 in the state title game.

Dale Mueller has 5 titles and is 5-2 in the Big game.

Bob Redman has 3 titles and is 3-3 in the State Final.

Bob Beatty has 4 titles and is 4-1 in the Finals.

I can easily be corrected on this but I think this is a collection of all the active coaches that have 3 or more titles to their name. Many mentioned already don't have as many rings as these guys.

Looking at this list as the criteria you could make some strong cases for most of these guys. Beatty, Glaser, Mueller all stand out to me. But my bias kicks in and I have to go with Sam Harp. Nine state finals since 1989 (I know his first year at Danville was '88) is pretty good and to win 7 of those is even better. The numbers to these guys outweigh a lot of the other arguments to me about overall win numbers and winning a recent title or two. While we could say that Harp has the advantage of an historically strong program, remember that he has won 7 of Danville's 10 state titles. He took a great program and made them a premier one. :thumb:

Thats one interesting stat. And when it comes to big game coaches thats a great stat.

Coach Hilton is 2-0 btw.

I just feel pretty confident about him being in the top 5. I think he will end up the all time winningest coach for a few years anyways. And hes had great records no matter where he has coached.

What Mike Holcomb has done at Breathitt Co is amazing and he is 3-0 in title games. He was ahead of the curve on his run and shoot offense in KY and he produced results hard to ignore. Doing it in a small rural county school in eastern KY makes it even more impressive, IMO.

Active Coaches with 200 or more wins:

1. Bob Schneider 307-103 (41 years)

2. Dudley Hilton 292-95 (33 years)

3. Phillip Haywood 289-88 (31 years)

4. Bob Redman 286-103 (32 years)

5. Sam Harp 270-82 (27 years)

6. Mike Glaser 269-60 (25 years)

7. Ivan McGlone 251-114 (31 years)

8. Tom Larkey 225-80 (25 years)

9. Hilliard Howard 220-?

10. Tom Duffy 214-?

11. Mike Holcomb 203-75 (24 years)

12. Larry French No one was sure about exact. He isn't a young pup like someone stated earlier. LOL

The state of Kentucky is extremely blessed to have as many great football coaches as it has. There have been some great names mentioned in this thread and this list shows that its really hard to narrow the list down to 5.

What a great time for Kentucky High School Football! :ylsuper:

Give Coach Edge from O'boro Catholic time. 3rd year as head coach and has appeared at Papa John's twice. Let's not forget when he was the D coordinator for Owensboro High in 01 and 02 and went twice. Only bad thing is that he hasn't broke his maiden yet. He is due though. I really don't think this year, but that is what everybody has been saying about him the last two years as well. GO ACES!!!!!

To say that is complete sillyness. You may think they do, only because they win all the time. Do you know how many Div. 1 players he has had since coming to Danville? Five! Since 1988! Five! There are teams that have that in one year!

To say that is also silly. The 1991 team alone ahd more than 5 D1 players on it, they may not have all went D1. However, Danville has had more D1 TALENT than most 4A schools around the state. Regardless or for whatever reason they didn't go D1 is not to say that they haven't had more than 5 D1 talent on the field.

Is Tom Duffy still coaching? He is an assistant but the Henderson games don't go on his record.

I think wins and records are a good tool but titles have to be just as great (if not greater) benchmark IMHO.

That is Duffy's record win wise, however, I added his name to the list by mistake. I had not added any more though to his total.

I have not seen mentioned Coach Mark Brown (John Hardin) present. It is easy to be a great coach when you have the best talent in the state. I think coaches that do more with less, would be the ones I tip my hat too, and Coach Brown fits the bill.

What Mike Holcomb has done at Breathitt Co is amazing and he is 3-0 in title games. He was ahead of the curve on his run and shoot offense in KY and he produced results hard to ignore. Doing it in a small rural county school in eastern KY makes it even more impressive, IMO.

I agree Watusi. Holcomb has maintained a powerful program in a relatively rural community for a long time. Building a program in a traditional basketball community is not an easy task and winning three state titles on top of that is enough said.

I would have to say Sam Harp as# 1.When you win titles consistently as he has at a small enrollment school,you have to be great.

This about says it all!! Coaches and athletes and programs are judged by numbers and titles. Harp and Danville seem to stand pretty high on any list no matter how you try to spin it.

I agree Watusi. Holcomb has maintained a powerful program in a relatively rural community for a long time. Building a program in a traditional basketball community is not an easy task and winning three state titles on top of that is enough said.

Coach Hilton really got that program up in running in the early 80s and Holcomb has done a wonderful job. That county is lucky to have two coaching legends in the mountains!!

Bob Schneider has a ton of wins because he has been around forever. He also has a ton of losses.

A lot of Coach Schneider's losses were from when NewCath was in the GCL. He without a shadow of a doubt belongs on this list. There is more to a coach than wins and losses. If you have ever been in a locker room with this man when he is giving his pep talk you would fully understand. Every kid that goes into NCC's football comes out a better football player and a much better person!