Top 5 coaches in the state

Shrek 79

We all have to remember the construed views that people have of Northern Ky sports. Coaches from the Eastern and the southern part of the state don't matter. I work in Northern Ky and I hear it all the time. The sun rises and sets in Northern Ky just incase anyone else in the state was wondering. No one is as good and will never be as good as Northern Ky teams. We all from the rest of the state just need to concede that fact and not even argue with them they know it all. Forget about Ivan McGlone, Randy Vanderhoof, Bill Tom Ross, Marsh from Ashland Billy Goldsmith They all are not very good. You need to look at all aspects of coaching ( concern for kids, love of game, personal humbleness). It is just not their win and losses there is a lot more to it.

Why would you take a cheap shot like that? The one thing you are right about is, it's not their wins and losses. What makes you think the coaches from NKY don't have "concern for kids, love of game"? You sound more like a jealous person than a knowledgeable one....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if there is one in the whole state that does have a public school with 1000 boys. There is not one in the top 10. Also, i think you must take into acount the other stops coaches have had along the way. Harp's record is not based solely on his success at Danville. If that were the case he would be close if not in the 90% range in winning percentage. Where else was Glaser before he was at X. Harp was at Calloway and Anderson. He led Anderson to the only undefeted team in school history in 1985. Was he ever at a public school that forced him to change his offensive and defensive systems based on the type of players he has. I know that if I am at X or Trinity I can stay pretty consistent with what I do, because there will be enough turnover year after year to have players that can run your system. For example, if I have a quarterback that can't throw then I better change it up if I am in a throwing system. In those larger private schools you will for the most part have guys that can fit your system because of the numbers you have to choose from. Danville constantly has to change what they do year to year because players graduate and you don't have 100 new freshmen a year. That forces you to fit your offense to your personnel. That's coaching.

There are several publics with over 1,000 boys. Also, the title of the thread is Top 5 coaches in the state. There were no paramaters. If you don't think that Glaser and/or any other private coach is in the Top 5, then that is fine, that's your opinion, but what you responded with was not the purpose of the thread.

As for my opinion as to who the top 5 coaches in the state are, all you have to do is look at the number of titles they've won, and count down from there.

Top 5 Coaches:

1. Mueller-Highlands

2. Beatty- Trinity

3. Redman- Male

4. Schneider- NCC

5. Haywood- Belfry

Honorable Mention: Harp- Danville, Hilton-Bell, McGlone-Russell, Downs- Bardstown, Glaser- St. X, Holcomb- Breathitt, Roark-Middlesboro, Larkey-Rockcastle, Morris- Mayfield

Now in terms of young coaches who will be there one day:

Edge- Owensboro Catholic, Matney-Johnson Central, French-Lincoln Co., Hager- Sheldon Clark, Simpson- Henry Clay

I am sure that Larry French would REALLY appreciate being called a YOUNG coach!!!!:thumb:

There are several publics with over 1,000 boys. Also, the title of the thread is Top 5 coaches in the state. There were no paramaters. If you don't think that Glaser and/or any other private coach is in the Top 5, then that is fine, that's your opinion, but what you responded with was not the purpose of the thread.

As for my opinion as to who the top 5 coaches in the state are, all you have to do is look at the number of titles they've won, and count down from there.

Not sure about the public enrollement of boys with over a thousand. If there is any at all then I would be shocked. What do you mean there are no parameters? Then Coach so and so at Big Little Pond High is the best. He may not have any wins, but there are no parameters. It is my basis for my own criteria of how I break it down in my own mind. That is how I base a career of a coach. All i did was respond to your thread. You came out talking about Glaser and his 82% winning percentage. Fine, that was while he was at X. Harp at Danville is over 90% if you don't count his stops along the way! Count the number of titles then. The numbers don't lie. I go with Sammy Harp. I know it's my own opinion. This whole board is all opinions!

I would have to say Sam Harp as# 1.When you win titles consistently as he has at a small enrollment school,you have to be great.

I think Sam Harp is a little overrated...Danville maybe a small school but they have as much talent as any big school in the state

I think Sam Harp is a little overrated...Danville maybe a small school but they have as much talent as any big school in the state

To say that is complete sillyness. You may think they do, only because they win all the time. Do you know how many Div. 1 players he has had since coming to Danville? Five! Since 1988! Five! There are teams that have that in one year!

To say that is complete sillyness. You may think they do, only because they win all the time. Do you know how many Div. 1 players he has had since coming to Danville? Five! Since 1988! Five! There are teams that have that in one year!

How many A schools have had five division I athletes in the same year? How many A schools have had five d I athletes in the same amount of time as Danville. I am not knocking coach Harp, but please tell me a school with more athletes in A ball than Danville.

How many rings does this guy have? I will admit he is not as good a Mueller, but he is top 5 easily.

Have you seen some of the talent that he lost with? Lets not forget running cover 0 every down against one of the best passing teams in the history of the state.

Sorry but I think you are misinformed on this and your other comment. They have talent, but so did Harrodsburg. How many rings did they win? (Not a slam on Alvis, just a point to be made)

It's not just titles. Every year they are considered a contender and usually go and play that way. They take on 4A schools (Manual comes to mind), 3A schools (Southwestern, Boyle, Ft Thomas recently) and a lot of other top programs.

How many A schools have had five division I athletes in the same year? How many A schools have had five d I athletes in the same amount of time as Danville. I am not knocking coach Harp, but please tell me a school with more athletes in A ball than Danville.

That could be why they have more state titles then anyone in thier class also! Let's remember, Danville is the only school in the state that has won titles in 3 different classes. So, it aint the A ball. They wrecked shop in class AA, smashed hoptown to win AAA.

Check out Beechwood's rosters from the 90's. Don't know about five but they have had quite a few.

What about Harrodsburg? In that same span they have had 3 or 4 NFL players and a slew of 1A and 1-AA players in the fold.

Those are two off the top of my head in A ball who have had as much talent.