Racial Profiling In Philadelphia?

He didn't say.

Here is a link to the Police Commissioner's comments on this subject.

As Starbucks apologizes for treatment of black patrons, police go on the defensive and activists call for justice - CNN

The way he lays it out, the officers did everything correctly including calling a supervisor when the men first refused to leave.

What a joke!

That is not policing, that is an overpaid security guard.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys weren't handcuffed for not ordering anything either. They were handcuffed because they were asked to leave private property by management and then again by law enforcement, and refused to do so.

And what occurs at other Starbucks is irrelevant. What goes on at a Starbucks in Crestview Hills, KY and what is allowed in a Starbucks in downtown Philadelphia aren't necessarily going to be the same thing.

That's why the questions I posed earlier are important.

Again the reason people have an issue is.... are white customers asked to leave under the same circumstances?

I've been in probably 2 dozen different Starbucks ranging from Chicago all the down to South Alabama and Florida. 1. I've never once asked to use the restroom. It is normally in a location that you don't have to ask for access. 2. Why in the world would you ever ask. Just go in and use it.

Again the reason people have an issue is.... are white customers asked to leave under the same circumstances?

I don't know. You don't know. None of us know. Yet, people automatically jump to profiling.

The police Sgt. being refused bathroom access without purchasing something tends to show this is a blanket policy that the store follows.

So typically employees don't apply rules equally. At this specific location, it appears they do, regardless of who the person is.

If that was the case we would be hearing from hundreds of Officers that were refused the bathroom at that Starbucks location.

If that was the case we would be hearing from hundreds of Officers that were refused the bathroom at that Starbucks location.

Is a Starbucks really the hotspot for officers for a bathroom break?

And I'd venture that 99.99% of people that enter a Starbucks order something.

I don't know. You don't know. None of us know. Yet, people automatically jump to profiling.

The police Sgt. being refused bathroom access without purchasing something tends to show this is a blanket policy that the store follows.

But the question is now out there.... glad Starbucks feels it’s important enough to address. Hopefully each of us can take a moment and be very honest with ourselves and reflect on the situation – just my 2 cents.

Is a Starbucks really the hotspot for officers for a bathroom break?

And I'd venture that 99.99% of people that enter a Starbucks order something.

This was more my speed for bathroom breaks.

[video=youtube;1j7J-Pk3qBU]

How would you have handled that call?

Too long to explain in much detail but start at square one, calmly walk in and talk to the Manager privately with a view of the dining area, slowly approach the citizens, break the ice, engage them, listen to them, probably agree a lot with them, then in a soft but matter of fact way explain the law to them, and then respectfully ask them to leave.

Too long to explain in much detail but start at square one, calmly walk in and talk to the Manager privately with a view of the dining area, slowly approach the citizens, break the ice, engage them, listen to them, probably agree a lot with them, then in a soft but matter of fact way explain the law to them, and then respectfully ask them to leave.

Sounds like a great way to handle it.