Racial Profiling In Philadelphia?

Well thank God these officers weren’t like other officers would have beaten and killed them. They were playing with their lives talking disrespectful to those officers like that.

I had a Sunday school teacher that used to tell us not to go looking for trouble because sooner or later it finds us regardless. I just don't see the need to be confrontational in the majority of these situations, regardless of skin color.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarcasm aside, can you provide a link for that? That’s the first I have heard about them talking crazy to the police.

The cops apologized to the men also? But the men were mean to them.

The link I posted (Post #53) earlier of the Police Commisioner he mentions it, that the men make several comments even commenting on their low pay.

Police officers hear much worse that what was said by these guys, thats not the point. The point is that these guys weren't as cooperative as you suggested earlier, if they were they wouldn't have been arrested.

Police Officers went out of their way not to arrest them. When they refused to leave, the officers didnt grab them up, beat them, tase them or shoot them. They called a supervisor to ensure they handled the situation correctly. When the men continued to refuse to leave they, had no recourse but to arrest them.

As far as apologizing to them, the police often apologize to people they arrest...sometimes their hands are tied and they have to make the arrest even though they wish they didn't have to.

The link I posted earlier of the Police Commisioner he mentions it, that the men make several comments even commenting on their low pay.

Police officers hear much worse that what was said by these guys, thats not the point. The point is that these guys weren't as cooperative as you suggested earlier, if they were they wouldn't have been arrested.

Police Officers went out of their way not to arrest them. When they refused to leave, the officers didnt grab them up, beat them, tase them or shoot them. They called a supervisor to ensure they handled the situation correctly. When the men continued to refuse to leave they, had no recourse but to arrest them.

As far as apologizing to them, the police often apologize to people they arrest...sometimes their hands are tied and they have to make the arrest even though they wish they didn't have to.

I’ve read the commissioner’s comments that he walked back on and then apologized for. Smart man. Gotta be tough being a black police commissioner.

It’s interesting how folks get their information. The information I have read and heard on various radio shows is that once the cops were called and the manager said she wanted them removed and arrested for trespassing that the police have to arrest them. I’ve never known that the police didn’t have to arrest them. If they didn’t have to arrest them then surely they could have handled it in a different manner.

Also interesting that they called a supervisor to make sure they handled the situation correctly only to find out that they don’t have a policy on these situations.

How come the DA chose not to press charges saying there wasn’t enough evidence to charge the men with anything? Seems like there is plenty to charge them with after reading your post.

I’ve read the commissioner’s comments that he walked back on and then apologized for. Smart man. Gotta be tough being a black police commissioner.

It’s interesting how folks get their information. The information I have read and heard on various radio shows is that once the cops were called and the manager said she wanted them removed and arrested for trespassing that the police have to arrest them. I’ve never known that the police didn’t have to arrest them. If they didn’t have to arrest them then surely they could have handled it in a different manner.

Also interesting that they called a supervisor to make sure they handled the situation correctly only to find out that they don’t have a policy on these situations.

How come the DA chose not to press charges saying there wasn’t enough evidence to charge the men with anything? Seems like there is plenty to charge them with after reading your post.

I think the Police had discression to not arrest them. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked them repeatedly to leave, they would have just arrested them to begin with.

It would have been handled differently it seems if the men had agreed to leave, which they didn't do.

Officers may have realized there were going to be racial issues brought into this and that's why they called for a supervisor to ensure they handled everything correctly.

The DA didn't press charges becasue Starbucks refused to press charges after the fact.

I think the Police had discression to not arrest them. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked them repeatedly to leave, they would have just arrested them to begin with.

It would have been handled differently it seems if the men had agreed to leave, which they didn't do.

Officers may have realized there were going to be racial issues brought into this and that's why they called for a supervisor to ensure they handled everything correctly.

The DA didn't press charges becasue Starbucks refused to press charges after the fact.

And again, I wish I had been there because there are conflicting reports on what happened, how it happened, what could or couldn’t have been avoided and by all accounts these conflicting reports are all coming from people who were there. Folks from the police perspective blame the black guys. Folks from the black guy’s perspective blames Starbucks. As I said earlier, I’ll never be convinced that their skin color isn’t the reason for their treatment but that is something that will never be proven.