Signs that the "Sweet 16" is Thriving or Declining

The product was good this year. It was the best play in several years. Some of the problems are khsaa related, some is it is a day gone by. There are too many options. UK attendance was down this year. Sports are too expensive and too time consuming.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KHSAA is just terrible. Honestly that is not a shot at them, it’s just the truth.

They serve no purpose.

Somebody that I agree with 100%. They need to go away. Enforce the wrong stuff and create nothing but problems.

The format is hurting the tournament too. Nobody is staying over Saturday night for a Sunday championship game because one reason is that the hotels raise the per night cost by 20-30%.

Go back to semi’s Saturday morning and championship game Saturday night.

My dad has been going all week from he last 25 years. He goes to 60% of the games but always the

Finals. Once they switched to Sunday’s he hasn’t been to one, and he loves the state tourney. 2pm on a Sunday there are other things to do

Another issue is that schools are not as willing to allow students and staff to attend. IT used to be that coaches were allowed to miss a day or two and attend the tournament. Times have changed.

Another issue is that schools are not as willing to allow students and staff to attend. IT used to be that coaches were allowed to miss a day or two and attend the tournament. Times have changed.

Warren Central took 4-5 student fan buses on Wednesday and Friday. All absences were excused if they had their game ticket. Same for teachers.

A lot of people have said not allowing red books have hurt, but that I can’t speak on.

Warren Central took 4-5 student fan buses on Wednesday and Friday. All absences were excused if they had their game ticket. Same for teachers.

A lot of people have said not allowing red books have hurt, but that I can’t speak on.

I meant for schools that didn’t make the sweet 16.

The product was good this year. It was the best play in several years. Some of the problems are khsaa related, some is it is a day gone by. There are too many options. UK attendance was down this year. Sports are too expensive and too time consuming.

There were some good games but overall was not good basketball. The semi finals were 30 pt blowouts, one with a running clock. The championship while a decent game was a 18 pt game. The semi finals used to be epic. If the games don't interest you than you leave to watch the NCAA.

IMO Sports used to be the #1 method of people in general to socialize and meet up with people to have a good time. But now it's just so much easier to get on your phone or ipad and contact whoever you want.

Sad to say, but social skills are a victim of technology.

I think it's simple. People have other things now that they'd rather do. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think cost really has anything to do with it. If people really want to do something, they find a way. People blow millions of $'s a year on entertainment. A $20 ticket isn't what's keeping people away. I just think nowadays, people just aren't going to travel to see teams play that they have no connection to, when there are so many other ways to be entertained. Sweet 16 attendance is always going to be about the teams that are playing. And like myself, I think for the most part, people aren't going to go unless their local team is playing. I don't think there's anything the KHSAA has done, or could do to change that.