Signs that the "Sweet 16" is Thriving or Declining

Haven't read all the posts on this thread so I may be repeating someone. As stated earlier, the cost and the KHSAA leadership are definitely issues that need resolved. This may be an oversimplification but I think the biggest problem is the quantity of D1 caliber players whose teams make it to the Sweet 16, especially ones good enough to be recruited by the CATS & CARDS.

Kentucky just doesn't produce the amount of talent it used to back in the 20th century. The Sweet 16 doesn't have any buzz surrounding the best teams or players like it used to. How many of you were around when Rex Chapman's Apollo team made it in '85? There was such a buzz about him during that tourney. I don't know how you fix that in today's climate. KHSAA can't force UK or U of L to recruit in-state kids.

Look back at the year Madison Central won it with Hawkins and Holmes had Bolden. That tourney had buzz because Cal was looking at both. There is no magic formula...you have to have player(s) that people want to come see. Was there anyone in this year's tourney who created that kind of excitement from fans statewide? CJ Frederick was MVP and he is going to Iowa. No slight to him, but who cares about watching kids going to Iowa to play their college ball?

To add to this, going to the Sweet 16 was about the only chance you had to see those top kids play, unless you maybe saw them at the LIT or KOB (mid-80s on), a trip most people outside of Jefferson County didn't make. Now there are more tournaments, more showcases, and more opportunities to see them play around the state.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article in Herald about how our Sweet 16 is doing in relationship to surrounding states, and other states of comparable size, some single class and some multi-class. Sad thing is "misery loves company" as our decline compares favorably to all states mentioned. Hate it, and have to admit the NFS webcast allowed me to see every game from afar for $10 total and avoiding the horrendous costs of everything. But, and I loudly say BUT, I missed seeing old friends and socializing face-to-face.

The costs have gotten a little extreme across the board. Tickets, parking, lodging, concessions (at $4.50 an ice cream is priced 25 cents per lick).

But I’ll still go every year, just like I have since the 1970’s with the exception of a few years it was in Louisville. I love the state tournament. However, I did notice what someone else mentioned in this thread, those in attendance are the older generation. At 63 I guess I’m joining that group. It’s a lot harder for me to get from row H to the top than it once was.

The younger generation is not as excited about the state tournament unless they have a team in it. The crowds will probably get less and less every year.

On on a side note, I have the worst luck with avoiding catching flu-like symptoms while there. For the 3rd straight year I came back home sick. This year it put me in a doctor’s office Monday for 2 shots and antibiotics, followed by 3 days in bed. Everyone wants to shake hands while at the tournament and about half the time I forget to squirt that germ killing sanitizer stuff on my hands. I carried a small bottle but didn’t use it enough. Also, the handrails on the stairs is another germ culprit. I think next year I’ll wear surgical gloves throughout the entire tournament, lol.