Signs that the "Sweet 16" is Thriving or Declining

Sad to say, but social skills are a victim of technology.

I hear this all the time, and I just don't believe this is true. If anything, we are more connected and social now than ever. I'm in regular contact now with more people than at any other point in my life. And it's due to technology.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree! Offer a program.

I printed one off this year and threw away 1/2 of it. Burned up a lot of wasted ink. I really hate it. Wait until all of we old-schoolers die off and then go virtual.

You would think they would contract it out. I'm sure some company would be able to do a great job putting out a manageable product at a reasonable cost.

I did buy one of the "First 100 Years" programs, simply for reference and some of the stories included. They did not promote them well, and you are right - I'll bet they have a ton of them left.

I downloaded the program. With as many ads that was in it, the program should be given out for free!

There were some good games but overall was not good basketball. The semi finals were 30 pt blowouts, one with a running clock. The championship while a decent game was a 18 pt game. The semi finals used to be epic. If the games don't interest you than you leave to watch the NCAA.

I would say the 2017 semifinals were both good games with one of them being epic.

Wonder why it's not doing well?

Because they won't let KSR do a live broadcast from the event unless they have all the sponsors and Julian Tacket on.

How absurd. You'd reach hundreds of thousands of people. The bureaucracy has gotten too entrenched. it's tale and boring.

Yeah. KSR not being there is it. :lol2:

Rupp may just be too big of an arena for that event. Maybe need to rethink where it is played. While Lexington is "centralized", teams will travel wherever it needs played. It was at Freedom Hall my senior year. With new leadership at UofL, maybe tie to look at using the YUM center? Jus a thought.

The cost is a little high. Not saying it isn't fair, but it is high. For me to take the kid and watch, I would've been out about 50 bucks for a session and parking. Not to mention a meal or snacks during the game. I can see why it keeps people at bay.

KSR not being there doesn't hurt. Also in some regards doesn't help. If you have one of the most popular media outlets in the state and you alienate them, they in turn aren't going to say much nice and people who are fans of the show and on the fence about going to watch , they can easily be influenced. They did hype the Buckhorn team a couple years ago and gave the Sweet Sixteen lots of free advertising and publicity. Its a small effect, but its there. Don't underestimate its value to the public.

I hear this all the time, and I just don't believe this is true. If anything, we are more connected and social now than ever. I'm in regular contact now with more people than at any other point in my life. And it's due to technology.

Partially agree with you. But, contact with quick one/two line bursts is not my idea of social skills. When I see two young friends sitting across the restuarant table from each other texting each other rather than talking is what I am talking about. Families sitting at restuarants with every family member on their phones (including Mom and Dad) rather than verbally sharing within the family unit. All everyday observations. It is not technologies fault, but a priority misplacement of values. IMO

You missed my point. Of course just having KSR there wouldn't fix it.

But it's a symptom of the problem. The KHSAA is stale, old and boring. They don't think outside the box.

Got it.

I think more than anything cost is a determining factor for most.

I think more than anything cost is a determining factor for most.

4 Tickets each game -- $76 x 3 games = $228

Parking each game -- $15 x 3 games = $45

Concessions / Ice cream each game -- $30 x 3 games = $90

Over $360 and we didn't attend the opening round game. That is real money, and I wouldn't dream of doing that if my school wasn't it. I don't care how much fun the environment is, how good the ice cream is, or good the basketball is, I'm not dropping $360 over 3 days (not to mention hotel or gas) if I don't have a dog in the fight.

I think it's simple. People have other things now that they'd rather do. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think cost really has anything to do with it. If people really want to do something, they find a way. People blow millions of $'s a year on entertainment. A $20 ticket isn't what's keeping people away. I just think nowadays, people just aren't going to travel to see teams play that they have no connection to, when there are so many other ways to be entertained. Sweet 16 attendance is always going to be about the teams that are playing. And like myself, I think for the most part, people aren't going to go unless their local team is playing. I don't think there's anything the KHSAA has done, or could do to change that.

Agree with the bolded part. Simple answer then is . . .Classify the sport and every other sport. Easy fix.

Agree with the bolded part. Simple answer then is . . .Classify the sport and every other sport. Easy fix.

I completely agree on classification. I even originally had that in my post, but it’s been debated so much, and it’s clearly not a popular solution. Besides leveling the playing field a little (not completely as there are always outliers). But it would bring more teams to the table, and generate more local interest in more areas across the state. The other needed change, that not many else will agree on is seeding. Random draws are not good ways to run a championship.

Edited by rjs4470

I would say the 2017 semifinals were both good games with one of them being epic.

2017 was nice. It worked out were the best teams were in the final four. No none will ever agree to seeding it so that has a chance to happen every year. As for this year, which I thought you were referring to the semi finals were bad with 30 pt games and low attendance. Would have been nice if it was Trinity/Cov Cath and maybe Scott Co./Fern Creek in semis. No one wants seeding but the two best attendance was when you had the best teams playing. Scott Co./Trinity and the finals.

4 Tickets each game -- $76 x 3 games = $228

Parking each game -- $15 x 3 games = $45

Concessions / Ice cream each game -- $30 x 3 games = $90

Over $360 and we didn't attend the opening round game. That is real money, and I wouldn't dream of doing that if my school wasn't it. I don't care how much fun the environment is, how good the ice cream is, or good the basketball is, I'm not dropping $360 over 3 days (not to mention hotel or gas) if I don't have a dog in the fight.

The cost, per capita/adjusted for inflation isn't much more than it was years ago...

The economy is very good right now, relatively speaking. The "game experience" is poor, at best. does cost keep some away? Sure. But it's more than just 'cost"