Highlands requests to play up in 5A

theguru

You are painting with a wide brush here. There were absolutely CovCath people questioning the wisdom of playing up.

I looked back on BGP and did not see any complaints from CCH supporters. I know that isn't the definitive answer on people questioning the move, but it is a lot different than what we are seeing for Highlands now. No one from CCH was being as vocal about it on BGP.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you SS.

After reading the posts about HHS the last two years, the haters would have a field day. I can hear them now. HHS went to 4A to duck BG,CCH, South Warren and so on. Does it really matter if HHS is 4A or 5A? They will compete in either class.

Agreed. If that inability to compete is their opinion of Highlands football right now, what makes them think they could beat Boyle Co., Central, Johnson Central or other top teams in 4A?

I'm with you SS.

After reading the posts about HHS the last two years, the haters would have a field day. I can hear them now. HHS went to 4A to duck BG,CCH, South Warren and so on. Does it really matter if HHS is 4A or 5A? They will compete in either class.

Exactly! Can you imagine a state championship without having the chance to knock cov cath out of the playoffs? It just wouldn't be the same. And oh yeah HHS would for sure hear about how it isn't the same if they played 4A.

I looked back on BGP and did not see any complaints from CCH supporters. I know that isn't the definitive answer on people questioning the move, but it is a lot different than what we are seeing for Highlands now. No one from CCH was being as vocal about it on BGP.

Classification and schedule strength (a @theguru point of contention) were topics of concern. As to not complaining on BGP, CovCath fans are just a lot more introspective than their Bird counterparts...:lol2:

No asterisks just a personal opinion. Are you confused?? A lot of question marks in that sentence.

I get it. I just think winning a state title is winning a state title. I don't look at any state title as being lesser than another. Which is, like you say, a personal opinion. That being said, I understand why Highlands would play up in the higher class. But I don't see 4a as being an easy path the next 4 years either.

Why would Highlands move up to 5A? To compete with Cov Cath for the same district title. That is huge. People on BGP have different opinions about what is important for a high school football program but competing against your arch rival in the same district for the title of that district is huge.

It would not be the same in my hometown in, if my school's arch rival was moved to a different district. Even in a down year, the last game of the season is against the arch rival and if the team that is having a down year can rise up and spoil the season for the one that is on top, that is a huge achievement. Those games are huge fan-supported events no matter how disparate the talent on the two teams is. The better team CANNOT take the other for granted because ANYTHING can happen in that game... and it has.

This is what rivalries are all about. It is what high school football should be--IMO.

Cov Cath v. a rejuvenated Highlands is a huge draw for high school sports and is made larger by competing for the same prize.

BTW, it is more fun to read this post if you pronounce "huge" with a silent "h".

Again, just my opinion.

Classification and schedule strength (a @theguru point of contention) were topics of concern. As to not complaining on BGP, CovCath fans are just a lot more introspective than their Bird counterparts...:lol2:

Can you think of any fan base that isn't a lot more (quietly) introspective than Highlands fans? :lol:

Why would Highlands move up to 5A? To compete with Cov Cath for the same district title. That is huge. People on BGP have different opinions about what is important for a high school football program but competing against your arch rival in the same district for the title of that district is huge.

It would not be the same in my hometown in, if my school's arch rival was moved to a different district. Even in a down year, the last game of the season is against the arch rival and if the team that is having a down year can rise up and spoil the season for the one that is on top, that is a huge achievement. Those games are huge fan-supported events no matter how disparate the talent on the two teams is. The better team CANNOT take the other for granted because ANYTHING can happen in that game... and it has.

This is what rivalries are all about. It is what high school football should be--IMO.

Cov Cath v. a rejuvenated Highlands is a huge draw for high school sports and is made larger by competing for the same prize.

BTW, it is more fun to read this post if you pronounce "huge" with a silent "h".

Again, just my opinion.

You know what else is huge with a silent h... Losing in the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

How close under this alignment is COvCath to 4A?

CovCath has enrollment of 598.8 boys average

In class 5A the range is a Low of 556 to high of 724.8

There are 7 schools with lower avg enrollment in 5A than CCH.

HHS has enrollment of 486.3 boys average

In class 4A the range is low of 430.5 to high of 552.5

There are 11 schools in 4A with larger enrollments than HHS

In previous alignments both CCH and HHS were both 4A size schools playing up. Now only HHS is 4A.

Edited by XtraIce

You know what else is huge with a silent h... Losing in the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

That doesn't matter a bit. For one thing, at HHS if you're not winning it all it doesn't matter what round you lose in. For another, if Highlands comes back close to where they were, it won't happen very often, if they don't, it could happen anyway in either class.