Seeding for Semifinals

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the KHSAA want to get into seeding based on things not on the field of play? No matter how you cut it computer rankings are a joke imo. Most years rankings are laughable and sad at the same time when you actually see some teams in person in some cases. Rankings by people who never see the team play. Really? I tell our kids that rankings mean nothing; it's how you practice and play that matters. If you had seen us play week one this year you would have thought we would be lucky to go .500. To survive times like this things like coaching, commitment, effort and love for your teammates are factors that should carry the kids forward to getting as close to their potential as possible. But that doesn't matter with seeding. We would be 'punished' for week one in week 14. So all that improvement still doesn't completely erase that one week or in our case the first five this year. Our goal is to improve each week and hit our stride in week 10-12. I guess that has to change. The running clock now becomes a factor as well as the score. So holding down scores goes out the window and now high school kids and coaches will have to do what quality programs/coaches try not to do and that is destroy/embarrass your opponent. Why would the KHSAA want to try to dictate who plays who? There has to be some underlying reason for this and I have not heard any legitimate reason at this point. We all have witnessed how bad seeding has been in history for picking champions based on computer ratings. We are not the NCAA but this model seems to be borrowing from Division 1's bad system. Let the kids decide not politics. And if the comment by Tackett was really as vague as i read on another post that means they made this decision without a true plan on how to even do this. We as a state change our playoff format more than any place I know. There is always some 'new' idea every few years? Why do we need to do this constant tweaking of the system? It seems as though there is a philosophy that being an experiment is a good thing. This is kind of like a few years ago when nobody would be able to shake hands after the game anymore or when they had the terrible idea to cross bracket our district opponents in the first two rounds instead of the opposing district a few years further back. Those short lived bad ideas seemed to fit this same type of thinking. I guess on the flip side of that is if you are the best you will win regardless. But then again the rankings can be way off at times which means the state championship could just as well be played in the semifinals or the finals. Then there is the home field advantage question. How fair is that in this plan. I have some ideas on why they are doing this that I won't list because they won't be received very well. That's my two cents and two cents buys you nothing in 2018. Back to work developing kids which is what is most fun for me.

Edited by Coach Preston

Why would the KHSAA want to get into seeding based on things not on the field of play? No matter how you cut it computer rankings are a joke imo. Most years rankings are laughable and sad at the same time when you actually see some teams in person in some cases. Rankings by people who never see the team play. Really? I tell our kids that rankings mean nothing; it's how you practice and play that matters. If you had seen us play week one this year you would have thought we would be lucky to go .500. To survive times like this things like coaching, commitment, effort and love for your teammates are factors that should carry the kids forward to getting as close to their potential as possible. But that doesn't matter with seeding. We would be 'punished' for week one in week 14. So all that improvement still doesn't completely erase that one week or in our case the first five this year. Our goal is to improve each week and hit our stride in week 10-12. I guess that has to change. The running clock now becomes a factor as well as the score. So holding down scores goes out the window and now high school kids and coaches will have to do what quality programs/coaches try not to do and that is destroy/embarrass your opponent. Why would the KHSAA want to try to dictate who plays who? There has to be some underlying reason for this and I have not heard any legitimate reason at this point. We all have witnessed how bad seeding has been in history for picking champions based on computer ratings. We are not the NCAA but this model seems to be borrowing from Division 1's bad system. Let the kids decide not politics. And if the comment by Tackett was really as vague as i read on another post that means they made this decision without a true plan on how to even do this. We as a state change our playoff format more than any place I know. There is always some 'new' idea every few years? Why do we need to do this constant tweaking of the system? It seems as though there is a philosophy that being an experiment is a good thing. This is kind of like a few years ago when nobody would be able to shake hands after the game anymore or when they had the terrible idea to cross bracket our district opponents in the first two rounds instead of the opposing district a few years further back. Those short lived bad ideas seemed to fit this same type of thinking. I guess on the flip side of that is if you are the best you will win regardless. But then again the rankings can be way off at times which means the state championship could just as well be played in the semifinals or the finals. Then there is the home field advantage question. How fair is that in this plan. I have some ideas on why they are doing this that I won't list because they won't be received very well. That's my two cents and two cents buys you nothing in 2018. Back to work developing kids which is what is most fun for me.

Get 'em coach!

Thanks for all that Coach.

I think it is to deflect criticism of six classes. Everytime there is a push to do away with six classes, they come up with rotating districts instead of 1v2, 3v4, etc. or now seeding the semifinals.

It's done in the same way the KHSAA came up with six classes to deflect the public v private push.

They will do something similar in basketball to deflect the conversation of classing.

According to this morning's LexHerald article (would a mod please attach) the bigger story out of the KHSAA yesterday is that the 2019 playoffs will be reset with the semi-final games to be seeded in each of the six classes. Seed #1 plays #4, and #2 plays #3. The seeding process has not been decided, but it will not be a committee in a room. Probably a weighting process of Lit, Cantrall, AP Poll, Coach's Poll, etc.

According to this morning's LexHerald article (would a mod please attach) the bigger story out of the KHSAA yesterday is that the 2019 playoffs will be reset with the semi-final games to be seeded in each of the six classes. Seed #1 plays #4, and #2 plays #3. The seeding process has not been decided, but it will not be a committee in a room. Probably a weighting process of Lit, Cantrall, AP Poll, Coach's Poll, etc.

Man, I sure was a day late and dollar short with that post. Totally overlooked this thread and thought I had a scoop. Better get back on golf course.

I'll never get all the resistance to seeding. I get that people fear it not being done fairly, but yet not seeding, and keeping things random, is perhaps the least fair way to hold a tournament. It's not really all that difficult. If I can seed a wrestling tournament with 200 kids from all over 3 states, surely someone can properly seed 4 football teams.

So, in 2A, you have the only real balance among the state semis. Other than that, Trinity home 99 out of 100 years. CovCath or Highlands home w/ Bowling Green home waaaayyyy more often than not. Johnson Central home game almost every season. Not sure about 3A. 1A, NewCath has a great chance at a home game almost every year if they make their schedule much more manageable. They have no reason to play such a tough regular season now if they will ultimately be rewarded for crushing teams with a home semi final game every season.

Bad idea. It punishes lower seed teams.

If a lower seed team has already beaten two 2 seeds to get to the semi/final and is playing another team the same seed, how is it fair to make them play a higher seed. Part of the spirit of the playoffs survival and advance.

KHSAA has bigger problems than the semi/finals of football.

This could also create hug travel requirements

Lets say you seeded the semifinals this past season. Here's how I'm guessing it would have looked vs. how it actually played out. Remember, the seeds would have been introduced before the semifinals so we can't plug in information we learned after those games.

Class 1A

Real: Beechwood at Campbellsville; Pikeville at Raceland

Guess: [4] Campbellsville at [1] Beechwood; [3] Pikeville at [2] Raceland

Class 2A

Real: Christian Academy-Louisville at Mayfield; Danville at Glasgow

Guess: [4] Glasgow at [1] Danville; [3] Christian Academy-Louisville at [2] Mayfield

Class 3A

Real: Boyle County at Elizabethtown; Corbin at Central

Guess: [4] Central at [1] Boyle County; [3] Elizabethtown at [2] Corbin

Class 4A

Real: Collins at Franklin-Simpson; Johnson Central at Wayne County

Guess: [4] Collins at [1] Johnson Central; [3] Franklin-Simpson at [2] Wayne County

Class 5A

Real: Covington Catholic at South Warren; Harlan County at Madison Southern

Guess: [4] Harlan County at [1] Covington Catholic; [3] Madison Southern at [2] South Warren

Class 6A

Real: Trinity at Central Hardin; Scott County at St. Xavier

Guess: [4] Central Hardin at [1] Trinity; [3] Scott County at [2] St. Xavier

I am totally against this seeding idea. There are too many travel issues that will make the #3 & #4 seeds even further at a disadvantage. Fans will not travel as far for some teams..... current Region alternation seems as fair as it can be.

That point lost some of its luster when the KHSAA went to cross-bracketing in every class but 1A this year. You already have schools driving past nearby opponents to play someone far away.