Seeding for Semifinals

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally disagree with the seeding. You would think that this would have been communicated with current head coaches and if they want it. This system seems to only favor the “traditional powers”. At the end of the day the little guy gets screwed here.

Absolutely correct!! Call your building AD and get them to express your concerns to the District AD. There are way more high schools playing football than the 7 or 8 that are represented on the advisory committee. And I will point out it is not their fault either. They are not elected so they are not in any way required to ask the rest of us what we think or for our input. I have no personal issue with anyone involved because they are good people and some great coaches involved and several are my personal friends. But it is not fair that all football playing schools were not advised of this idea and given a chance to have input. Imagine having to travel from Eastern Kentucky to far western Kentucky if the so called seedings match it up like that. 8-9 hour trip on game day or on Thanksgiving day? And as you clearly point out the 'haves' will always get the seed over the 'have nots'. This is high school football not NCAA Divsion 1 football. By the way D1 finally has recognized their problem with using polls to set up their championships and are slowly moving away from that. And they are playing those games in neutral settings.

I'm not against the re-seeding in the semifinals.

But the issue is what system do you use? That would be the most interesting bit, what would the KHSAA pick?

This is pretty much where I am at. I like the idea of re-seeding but the process has to be scientific and inclusive.

Also, like I mentioned above, any system used has to account for time of running clock. It would also have to account for out of state teams.

Seeding to increase interest does not make sense. I think the Raceland Semi-Final this year was proof of that. No clue if they would have hosted if it was seeded, but that game brought a ton of interest to our area.

I’d argue that the postseason success recently of NEKY teams has had more to do with interest in NEKY in football than who plays in the championship game.

If you want to build interest, you have to raise the playing level of teams in KY. Better football = more fans.

Seeding prevents this. Makes it harder for teams to break through.

If we’re tryjng to get the two best teams to the finals, then say that. But football in KY would be the only sport where that happens. Doesn’t happen in most pro sports either. Sure doesn’t happen in basketball....

And you my friend have nailed the exact reason they are trying to do this!! If the KHSAA thinks more people will come to see the same teams year after year win the state championship they are way out of touch. It's those teams that haven't made it much or ever that bring the whole county due to excitement. I think we could be the only state where the folks in charge are actually trying to 'rig' the thing to keep the 'haves' in the best position to get to the finals. I would imagine the easy example is that all 6A schools from now and forever will make their way to Louisville in the Semi-finals and possibly never host a semifinal game and weaken their chances to get to the finals even more. Wow. Talk about unsportsmanlike conduct. If the KHSAA is in such desperate shape for money maybe they need to look at other avenues to cut cost or generate money. They are not going to get it from the average fan or the purchasing of coaches tickets each year imo.

Edited by Coach Preston

This is pretty much where I am at. I like the idea of re-seeding but the process has to be scientific and inclusive.

Also, like I mentioned above, any system used has to account for time of running clock. It would also have to account for out of state teams.

And that is the biggest of two obvious problems. There is no such system. So it puts the traditional powers at an advantage year in and year out imo. Which kills football as a whole in the excitement department. For example, I have only watched the 6A game when Meade Co and Scott County played in the last probably 15 years (roughly) because it's the same old thing with Trinity or X most likely winning. Nothing against them except the outcome is a done deal. That will happen in the other classes more than it does now if seeding is used in my opinion.

Seriously? With the north/ north east bias, I shudder to think. :)

Well, it's better than biased computer ranking that has teams ranked in preseason before they ever play a game, based just off of past performance. Of course those computers always favor your boys so I'm sure you'd love to use them. :)

And that is the biggest of two obvious problems. There is no such system. So it puts the traditional powers at an advantage year in and year out imo. Which kills football as a whole in the excitement department. For example, I have only watched the 6A game when Meade Co and Scott County played in the last probably 15 years (roughly) because it's the same old thing with Trinity or X most likely winning. Nothing against them except the outcome is a done deal. That will happen in the other classes more than it does now if seeding is used in my opinion.

Exactly what is going to happen. The usuals will end up with a playoff game at home because most of these rankings are based on last year as a starting point. How do you rank Eastern KY opponents VS Louisville opponents? We played the Eastern KY 4A district and I had a hard time gauging just where they were on film because we didn’t have any common opponents. How can you do that on a Ranking system when we watch hours of film and have a hard time.

If this is going to happen it has to go to Neutral sites on Turf. This is the only way it can work. Giving the same teams a home game every year is ridiculous

Well, it's better than biased computer ranking that has teams ranked in preseason before they ever play a game, based just off of past performance. Of course those computers always favor your boys so I'm sure you'd love to use them. :)

Lol, that took less time than I thought.

Seeding to increase interest does not make sense. I think the Raceland Semi-Final this year was proof of that. No clue if they would have hosted if it was seeded, but that game brought a ton of interest to our area.

I’d argue that the postseason success recently of NEKY teams has had more to do with interest in NEKY in football than who plays in the championship game.

If you want to build interest, you have to raise the playing level of teams in KY. Better football = more fans.

Seeding prevents this. Makes it harder for teams to break through.

If we’re tryjng to get the two best teams to the finals, then say that. But football in KY would be the only sport where that happens. Doesn’t happen in most pro sports either. Sure doesn’t happen in basketball....

And another thought. You point out the size of that crowd that came out for the game; which is great! That money is what the KHSAA wants their hands on. And I get it that they have to generate money to pay bills but don't pull this seeding idea to help with making money in the finals. It is not the answer to the money problem. We are now streaming the finals and all that kind of stuff which is hurting attendance at our level just like it is at the college level. Did anyone see the sad size of crowds at many of these college games. Heck often they can't give away tickets at some of these places.

I just get so tired of the KHSAA constantly tinkering with football. You never see this in other sports in our state. It seems like there's some kind of craziness being tossed around every year from them.

And you my friend have nailed the exact reason they are trying to do this!! If the KHSAA thinks more people will come to see the same teams year after year win the state championship they are way out of touch. It's those teams that haven't made it much or ever that bring the whole county due to excitement. I think we could be the only state where the folks in charge are actually trying to 'rig' the thing to keep the 'haves' in the best position to get to the finals. I would imagine the easy example is that all 6A schools from now and forever will make their way to Louisville in the Semi-finals and possibly never host a semifinal game and weaken their chances to get to the finals even more. Wow. Talk about unsportsmanlike conduct. If the KHSAA is in such desperate shape for money maybe they need to look at other avenues to cut cost or generate money. They are not going to get it from the average fan or the purchasing of coaches tickets each year imo.

Coach you're absolutely correct and it's so obvious what they're trying to do.

It's nice to issue the top two seeds with a home game, but I'm worried as to how they pick those top seeds. I like just rotating every year without the cross bracketing that I hate cause some teams will travel in back to back years.

Even though Trinity would benefit from this more times then not I'm still opposed to it unless a way can be determined to do the seeding that takes all the variables of KY footfall into account. Out of state opponents have to be factored in. Does a win by Trinity over Champagnat Catholic carry the same or more weight then a Simon Kenton win over CAL? How quickly was a running clock achieved in a game and did the winning coach immediately sub out his top players?