One and Done Rule almost done?

jericho

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also to say all of college basketball is being killed by the one and done begs to question how many schools are getting one and dones? I would say a handful and there really aren’t that many to begin with, it’s an over blown philosophy bc a couple of high profile programs and players get all the press.

Eliminating the one and done rule would greatly enhance college basketball.

I don't think it would help. You will still get the kid who wasn't the elite of his year going pro after I year of college to show his improvement. Plus you top players would skip altogether diluting the quality of the game.

I get why kids want to lump to the NBA, I'm not a fan since I don't closely follow a lot of college ball anymore. I like to see college kids or a team develop over time. I've also lost a lot of interest in pro teams. So of you older folks may remember when players didn't change teams every year.

Also to say all of college basketball is being killed by the one and done begs to question how many schools are getting one and dones? I would say a handful and there really aren’t that many to begin with, it’s an over blown philosophy bc a couple of high profile programs and players get all the press.

This. With the one-and-done rule, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and a few others have had really good teams. If there was no one-and-done rule, guess who would have good teams? Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and a few others. If they make a rule where players have to come to college for four years before they can go to the NBA, guess who will have good teams? Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and a few others.

Blaming one-and-done for college basketball's ails is a lazy answer to a question that might not even need to be asked.

I don't think it would help. You will still get the kid who wasn't the elite of his year going pro after I year of college to show his improvement. Plus you top players would skip altogether diluting the quality of the game.

I get why kids want to lump to the NBA, I'm not a fan since I don't closely follow a lot of college ball anymore. I like to see college kids or a team develop over time. I've also lost a lot of interest in pro teams. So of you older folks may remember when players didn't change teams every year.

College basketball will be better when you have players who want to be there. You think a player like Marvin Bagley reclassified because he couldn't wait to play at Duke? Hell no. He reclassified because he wants to get to the league sooner. Marvin Bagley doesn't need to play college basketball. If you eliminated the one and done you would get more players who opt to stay 2-3 years and develop.

College basketball will be better when you have players who want to be there. You think a player like Marvin Bagley reclassified because he couldn't wait to play at Duke? Hell no. He reclassified because he wants to get to the league sooner. Marvin Bagley doesn't need to play college basketball. If you eliminated the one and done you would get more players who opt to stay 2-3 years and develop.

I wouldn't say "opt," they just have no other choice because they are not good enough to be earning a paycheck.

College basketball needs high caliber players. It is much more interesting with Anthony Davis in college than not.

Amen, @GrantNKY. To everything you've said. The rule was put in place originally to help the NBA better evaluate talent with an extra year in order to put a better product on the floor. They want to protect their owners and teams as much as possible and make smart investment decisions. College basketball has, is, and will continue to be great. The high major programs will always have the best chances to be successful because they have the most resources, facilities, etc.

The thing hurting college hoops more than anything is the graduate transfer rule!! Low and mid-major programs are getting picked apart by high majors that use these graduate transfers to fill immediate needs, and low/mid-major programs who have taken a chance on these kids, developed them, and helped them grow ultimately get the short end of the stick. It's become like free agency. The graduate transfer rule has hurt college hoops significantly more than the one and done ever could.

I wouldn't say "opt," they just have no other choice because they are not good enough to be earning a paycheck.

College basketball needs high caliber players. It is much more interesting with Anthony Davis in college than not.

Not every 5 star player will choose to go straight to the league out of HS. There will still be the players who want to go to college for a year or 2 to develop.

The amateur model of collegiate athletics is used as our minor league system with sports. We are the only country which has something as silly as that.

I guess the way I look at it is if someone thinks kids should be able to go straight from high school and earn a check start a league that offers such. At the end of the day I really don't care when each league wants to allow players to enter their draft. Straight out of high, one year removed, 3 years removed, whatever. If a kid doesn't want to go to college no one is making them.

Some players mature, peak, and improve at different stages between the ages of 18-22. If you're good to go to the NBA at 18 more power to you, and good luck having the maturity to handle it, and hopefully you've got something to fall back on if it doesn't carry you as far as you had first hoped.

Still they'll be enough decent players developing their game while in college, which in many cases will ultimately prove beneficial for them and their overall experience, as well as maybe even handling their fame and finances better for having had chance to grow up a bit in college.

I'm not concerned about the quality of college basketball because I fully expect it to be there no matter what, and I don't mind at all seeing players who don't have any interest in college at all being able to skip it because it only opens up spots for players who really do want to make the most of their college experience.

I think too that this ultimately is better for the fan who misses the good old days of players hanging around for a few years, and watching their favorite team develop into a memorable cohesive unit with distinctive character. This certainly is what has become the attraction for me in watching NKU grow as a team and a program.

The NBA draft should be just like the MLB draft. You should be able to see where you get drafted and who drafts you. If you don't like it you can still go to college.

You may as well throw the NFL in there as well. If you're of the legal age to become a professional then it should work the same for all sports. If you're going to let kids see where they would land in the MLB and NBA drafts, I can't think of a reason to not do the same for the NFL.

You may as well throw the NFL in there as well. If you're of the legal age to become a professional then it should work the same for all sports. If you're going to let kids see where they would land in the MLB and NBA drafts, I can't think of a reason to not do the same for the NFL.

Because 18-20 year olds would get destroyed...

I agree. I will say there won't be a single NFL team who takes a chance on a HS player, but I agree they should without a doubt have that right.