November 21, 20178 yr Because 18-20 year olds would get destroyed... True. But they should have the right for someone to pay them to play football.
November 21, 20178 yr Because 18-20 year olds would get destroyed... Why couldn't the NFL put them into a farm league, similar to the MLB does? Plus there is the NBA D-League. If we're going to let those kids go pro before they're ready, we may as well let them all go.
November 21, 20178 yr I agree. I will say there won't be a single NFL team who takes a chance on a HS player, but I agree they should without a doubt have that right. I agree, the NFL is too rough for kids that age. But, why not just have a farm league for the NFL and those kids will learn the system of the team that drafts them from their farm league team. Rather than going to school and then having to learn another new system, then another system several years later when they are eligible to be drafted into the NFL. I can't see how that wouldn't be a win/win situation for the NFL and the kids as well. College teams would suffer, but the kids nor the NFL would. The kids would essentially be paid to learn and play against the best players in their age group.
November 21, 20178 yr I agree, the NFL is too rough for kids that age. But, why not just have a farm league for the NFL and those kids will learn the system of the team that drafts them from their farm league team. Rather than going to school and then having to learn another new system, then another system several years later when they are eligible to be drafted into the NFL. I can't see how that wouldn't be a win/win situation for the NFL and the kids as well. College teams would suffer, but the kids nor the NFL would. The kids would essentially be paid to learn and play against the best players in their age group. The reason there is minor league baseball and D League basketball now called the G league, is because they can make money off of it. The NFL has tried minor league style systems in the past like NFL Europe and there just wasn't any money to be made in it. Football is just a different sport in that regard.
November 21, 20178 yr I will elaborate on minor league baseball. It does serve a purpose as far as developing players. More so than any other lower level professional sports league, but if they were losing money doing it there wouldn't be 3 levels of the minor leagues.
November 21, 20178 yr True. But they should have the right for someone to pay them to play football. Why?
November 21, 20178 yr Why? Because, call me crazy, but that should be a fundamental right in America. If someone is willing to pay you to do something you should have the ability to either accept or decline the offer. I don't care if it's playing basketball or scraping gum off the streets. If someone is willing to pay you for it, you should have every right to do so. I don't understand how anyone would be against that idea.
November 21, 20178 yr They need to make it a rule no player can play in the nba untill they are 20 or 21 years old. It would make college basketball better and the NBA would get players that are developed and ready for the NBA. Instead of getting a 6'9 220 highschool kid you would get a 6'9 240 pound man ready to ball. Also they would have a college education for after basketball.
November 21, 20178 yr They need to make it a rule no player can play in the nba untill they are 20 or 21 years old. It would make college basketball better and the NBA would get players that are developed and ready for the NBA. Instead of getting a 6'9 220 highschool kid you would get a 6'9 240 pound man ready to ball. Also they would have a college education for after basketball. I don't believe that you would get the outcome you believe if they moved to this. The top talent would not stay in college basketball for three years when they can make a million plus a year playing oversees.
November 21, 20178 yr Because, call me crazy, but that should be a fundamental right in America. If someone is willing to pay you to do something you should have the ability to either accept or decline the offer. I don't care if it's playing basketball or scraping gum off the streets. If someone is willing to pay you for it, you should have every right to do so. I don't understand how anyone would be against that idea. But it's the people willing to pay you that implemented the rule. This isn't the government telling you you can't go straight to the league. How is this any different than a company requiring you to have a certain degree before they will consider hiring you? Or having any other requirement for a specific job? This is basically an age requirement. The most powerful job in the world has an age requirement.
November 21, 20178 yr But it's the people willing to pay you that implemented the rule. This isn't the government telling you you can't go straight to the league. How is this any different than a company requiring you to have a certain degree before they will consider hiring you? Or having any other requirement for a specific job? This is basically an age requirement. The most powerful job in the world has an age requirement. I understand why the rule is in place. It's in place by the owners to protect the owners. I just think if someone is skilled enough to not have to wait a year after they graduate HS to go into the NBA they should be allowed to. The teams don't have to draft them. That's why I proposed the MLB draft rules so they could go to college still if they don't get drafted or don't like where they got drafted. I think it's the fairest process for all parties involved.
November 21, 20178 yr I understand why the rule is in place. It's in place by the owners to protect the owners. I just think if someone is skilled enough to not have to wait a year after they graduate HS to go into the NBA they should be allowed to. The teams don't have to draft them. That's why I proposed the MLB draft rules so they could go to college still if they don't get drafted or don't like where they got drafted. I think it's the fairest process for all parties involved. You said it should be a fundamental right. That would suggest the government is forcing these kids to go to wait. No one is forcing them to do anything, least of all the government. The NBA doesn't think they are ready so they implemented a requirement to be drafted. Playing in the NBA or NFL or MLB is not a fundamental right. If it is where the hell is my contract?
November 21, 20178 yr They need to make it a rule no player can play in the nba untill they are 20 or 21 years old. It would make college basketball better and the NBA would get players that are developed and ready for the NBA. Instead of getting a 6'9 220 highschool kid you would get a 6'9 240 pound man ready to ball. Also they would have a college education for after basketball. I would love to see this but don't think there is any chance of it happening, and I also think it is selfish of us the fans, and serves everybody except the players. I think a practical solution that the NCAA could implement is put a rule that if you play NCAA basketball you have to play for at least 2 years.
November 21, 20178 yr I understand why the rule is in place. It's in place by the owners to protect the owners. I just think if someone is skilled enough to not have to wait a year after they graduate HS to go into the NBA they should be allowed to. The teams don't have to draft them. That's why I proposed the MLB draft rules so they could go to college still if they don't get drafted or don't like where they got drafted. I think it's the fairest process for all parties involved. I think I would be fine with the MLB draft rule so long as the players didn't hire an agent.
November 21, 20178 yr You said it should be a fundamental right. That would suggest the government is forcing these kids to go to wait. No one is forcing them to do anything, least of all the government. The NBA doesn't think they are ready so they implemented a requirement to be drafted. Playing in the NBA or NFL or MLB is not a fundamental right. If it is where the hell is my contract? It should be a fundamental right to collect money for a skill someone is willing to pay you for.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.