One and Done Rule almost done?

jericho

I don't see anything wrong with the NCAA saying "if you want to play in our league, we require you to start for "x" years. If an athlete decides that is not the route they want to go, by all means try your hand at the Euro leagues for a year until the NBA lifts their rule. It may not be apples to apples with the accounting degree example, but I think it is pretty close to apples to apples with academic requirements to clear the NCAA clearinghouse. If you want to play in the NCAA you must follow these rules...

How would the NCAA enforce such a rule? If you get an academic scholarship and quit after your freshman year, oh well. But if you're on athletic scholarship you have to stay whether you want to or not? Do you only hold those accountable who have the decision to go to the NBA? What if college life just isn't for them and they'd rather try a trade? Come on.

Only the NBA can change the rules here. The NCAA impact is just circumstantial.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your entire argument is based on if someone is willing to pay you to do something you should be able to. Well, in this case the NBA is not willing to pay you since it is their rule.

And there were about 8-10 kids a year going straight from HS.

There have been 44 total players that have skipped college and went to the NBA. 2004 and 2005 were the only years more than a handful went (8 in 2004 and 9 in 2005).

There have been 44 total players that have skipped college and went to the NBA. 2004 and 2005 were the only years more than a handful went (8 in 2004 and 9 in 2005).

To piggyback off of this, the vast majority of those guys in 2004 and 2005 are either still in the league or hung around the league a while. The biggest bust of the bunch may be Robert Swift from my memory... Telfair was up there as well, probably.

Go back and re-visit those classes and you'll see guys like Hakim Warrick, Ronny Turiaf, Sean May, Rashad McCants, etc. that stayed in school and had similar NBA careers than the high school guys who supposedly didn't belong.

Guys like Gerald Green and Shaun Livingston have have their struggles but they've established themselves as solid bench options. And if Livingston had suffered that freak leg injury as a college senior? Likely never heard from again.

Andrew Bynum played 9 years in the league before his knees did him in at 27. I'm sure he's glad to have those 3 years of NBA salary that he may have lost if he'd had to wait until following his junior year.

I love college basketball. Not as much as I once did, but I still love it. But it's too self-serving to want these guys to have to spend time in college if the NBA scouts believe they are talented enough to go on to the league. Some will boom, some will bust, and some will be mediocre. And that's exactly what will happen if they all go to college.

Not every 5 star player will choose to go straight to the league out of HS. There will still be the players who want to go to college for a year or 2 to develop.

Eh maybe, maybe not. Unlike last time before the one and done rule. There was no d league or g league like there is now. So I think we will see a lot of those 5 star players enter the draft now. Which more teams would be willing to draft them and just develop them in their g league team. So players could get paid to develop rather than go to college and develop.

People talk about the college game not being as fun to watch or as polished as NBA games. There will be even less good players in college basketball. Good players will then be in the g league or NBA right away. What the college game was before the one and done is not coming back even without that rule. The NBA having the g league changes a lot of things. Players can enter the draft with no fear of not being ready like before because they have the g league to fall back on.

Imo the college game is in trouble now no matter what happens.

To piggyback off of this, the vast majority of those guys in 2004 and 2005 are either still in the league or hung around the league a while. The biggest bust of the bunch may be Robert Swift from my memory... Telfair was up there as well, probably.

Go back and re-visit those classes and you'll see guys like Hakim Warrick, Ronny Turiaf, Sean May, Rashad McCants, etc. that stayed in school and had similar NBA careers than the high school guys who supposedly didn't belong.

Guys like Gerald Green and Shaun Livingston have have their struggles but they've established themselves as solid bench options. And if Livingston had suffered that freak leg injury as a college senior? Likely never heard from again.

Andrew Bynum played 9 years in the league before his knees did him in at 27. I'm sure he's glad to have those 3 years of NBA salary that he may have lost if he'd had to wait until following his junior year.

I love college basketball. Not as much as I once did, but I still love it. But it's too self-serving to want these guys to have to spend time in college if the NBA scouts believe they are talented enough to go on to the league. Some will boom, some will bust, and some will be mediocre. And that's exactly what will happen if they all go to college.

There would be more players willing to declare out of High school because of the G league being around now. If the one and done rule goes away, I think we will see 15 to 20 every year declare out of High school. There will be no fear of it not working out because they have the g league to fall back on now to develop rather than college.

There would be more players willing to declare out of High school because of the G league being around now. If the one and done rule goes away, I think we will see 15 to 20 every year declare out of High school. There will be no fear of it not working out because they have the g league to fall back on now to develop rather than college.

That may be true. But the guys that come to school may be more likely to stay longer, and that may help the college product. Teams starting over every year is tough for sure.

That may be true. But the guys that come to school may be more likely to stay longer, and that may help the college product. Teams starting over every year is tough for sure.

What exactly with the college product would improve? The play? I don't see the play being better with less talented players. People already complain about how college basketball is not as good as NBA and how good the play is. I don't see that being better with less talented players.

So much has changed since the last time players could leave out of High school. With all the technology there is today, and so many ways to communicate and all the social media. Agents will have a field day with high school athletes. Plus were in the self entitlement era. Every kid is going to think they can go and make it, because of all the people in their ear telling them how great they are. Plus probably will make it even harder for college teams to police who truly would be eligible because of the access agents could have with players basically in high school still.

What exactly with the college product would improve? The play? I don't see the play being better with less talented players. People already complain about how college basketball is not as good as NBA and how good the play is. I don't see that being better with less talented players.

So much has changed since the last time players could leave out of High school. With all the technology there is today, and so many ways to communicate and all the social media. Agents will have a field day with high school athletes. Plus were in the self entitlement era. Every kid is going to think they can go and make it, because of all the people in their ear telling them how great they are. Plus probably will make it even harder for college teams to police who truly would be eligible because of the access agents could have with players basically in high school still.

My angle here isn't necessarily for the improvement of college basketball, because it's ultimately a NBA rule and it's their call what happens. And as I've said, anything that happens to impact the college game as a result is circumstantial at best.

However, their remains talent at the mid-major level because they aren't recruiting the one and done talent. They are recruiting four year players who can play all phases of the game. The players have time to gel and grow together and it makes the teams better. The playing field would be leveled, and it could lead to more excitement.

Would it for sure? I have no idea. But as an advocate for the players, I'd much rather they be able to go straight out of high school than forced into having to attend college even longer than the current mandatory year.

There are a lot of kids who think they are pro material and they are not. I’d love to see the border line kids seize the opportunity to take advantage of free college. Instead you end up with a lot of kids who ignore grades and blow that chance to have that degree when NBA does not work out.

As my dad always daid. If it wasn’t for the NBA we would have the worlds largest garage men.