November 21, 20178 yr I think I would be fine with the MLB draft rule so long as the players didn't hire an agent. I don't like that the players have to stay in college 3 years because it is still giving them an ultimatum and I'm not a fan of that at all. I also don't care if they hire an agent. I also don't care if the schools want to put star players names on the backs of jerseys in order to collect a royalty. College players should be able to collect on their likeness.
November 21, 20178 yr It should be a fundamental right to collect money for a skill someone is willing to pay you for. Right, they just have specific requirements you must meet before they will pay you.
November 21, 20178 yr Right, they just have specific requirements you must meet before they will pay you. And I don't think those requirements should be there. I dislike the rules, but I understand why they are there and I understand that the NBA has the right to set those requirements. I just think the whole rule is a farce.
November 21, 20178 yr And I don't think those requirements should be there. I dislike the rules, but I understand why they are there and I understand that the NBA has the right to set those requirements. I just think the whole rule is a farce. Is it okay for an accounting firm to require that you have an accounting degree before you work there?
November 21, 20178 yr Is it okay for an accounting firm to require that you have an accounting degree before you work there? Yeah. Like I said I understand why the rule is there. But I also don't think some players get any benefit from going to college for a year. There is an obvious reason why an accounting firm would require an accounting degree. You need to have an accounting degree to get a CPA license. You literally can't be an accountant without a CPA license. You don't need a license to play basketball. It's not apples to apples.
November 21, 20178 yr I don't like that the players have to stay in college 3 years because it is still giving them an ultimatum and I'm not a fan of that at all. I also don't care if they hire an agent. I also don't care if the schools want to put star players names on the backs of jerseys in order to collect a royalty. College players should be able to collect on their likeness. I don't see anything wrong with the NCAA saying "if you want to play in our league, we require you to start for "x" years. If an athlete decides that is not the route they want to go, by all means try your hand at the Euro leagues for a year until the NBA lifts their rule. It may not be apples to apples with the accounting degree example, but I think it is pretty close to apples to apples with academic requirements to clear the NCAA clearinghouse. If you want to play in the NCAA you must follow these rules...
November 21, 20178 yr I don't see anything wrong with the NCAA saying "if you want to play in our league, we require you to start for "x" years. If an athlete decides that is not the route they want to go, by all means try your hand at the Euro leagues for a year until the NBA lifts their rule. It may not be apples to apples with the accounting degree example, but I think it is pretty close to apples to apples with academic requirements to clear the NCAA clearinghouse. If you want to play in the NCAA you must follow these rules... :lol2: passing the NCAA clearing house is not anywhere near the same as getting an accounting degree/ CPA. I just think the rule is ridiculous requiring a 3 year commitment. If a normal student is insanely intelligent and is offered a job where he can make a lot of money he could leave school and start working. Why shouldn't a basketball player be able to do the same? Business is business.
November 21, 20178 yr Yeah. Like I said I understand why the rule is there. But I also don't think some players get any benefit from going to college for a year. There is an obvious reason why an accounting firm would require an accounting degree. You need to have an accounting degree to get a CPA license. You literally can't be an accountant without a CPA license. You don't need a license to play basketball. It's not apples to apples. Yes it is. You have to have an accountant degree to be a CPA and you have to be blah blah blah to play in the NBA. Both are requirements for you to get a specific job.
November 21, 20178 yr Yes it is. You have to have an accountant degree to be a CPA and you have to be blah blah blah to play in the NBA. Both are requirements for you to get a specific job. The requirements don't make sense. There is literal proof of players coming out of HS and being great NBA players. The two greatest players since the turn of the century didn't go to college. Has there ever been an accountant who doesn't have a CPA license? To be a good accountant you HAVE to go to college, there is literally no other way. To be a good basketball player you don't have to play college. If you think that's an apples to apples comparison then there is no reason to continue the discussion because it couldn't be further from the truth.
November 21, 20178 yr The requirements don't make sense. There is literal proof of players coming out of HS and being great NBA players. The two greatest players since the turn of the century didn't go to college. Has there ever been an accountant who doesn't have a CPA license? To be a good accountant you HAVE to go to college, there is literally no other way. To be a good basketball player you don't have to play college. If you think that's an apples to apples comparison then there is no reason to continue the discussion because it couldn't be further from the truth. Your using the best players ever to support your argument. If you took the smartest person in the world do you not think they could teach themselves enough to be a great accountant without going to college? Forget that example and take any job that has education or other requirements. There are more examples of kids going straight out of HS and failing than succeeding.
November 22, 20178 yr Your using the best players ever to support your argument. If you took the smartest person in the world do you not think they could teach themselves enough to be a great accountant without going to college? Forget that example and take any job that has education or other requirements. There are more examples of kids going straight out of HS and failing than succeeding. Then what are we protecting them from? How many kids got drafted straight out of HS before the one and done rule? It's a very small number. Thats why I think the rule is dumb. It's not like all of these one and done players would all just get drafted a year earlier. But for the 1 player a year who is able to, he should be able to capitalize on his abilities right away. But with regards to accounting argument, yeah the smartest person could teach his or herself accounting principles without going to college. But they don't learn it at a young age. There is still a learning process to it. With basketball players they've been learning the principles of the game for a long time before they even go to college. So yeah the smartest person should be able to teach themselves accounting at whatever age, pass the CPA licensing, and be an accountant all without going to school. I will never have a problem with anyone capitalizing on their hard work and abilities. If someone is willing to pay you, you should be able to get paid.
November 22, 20178 yr Then what are we protecting them from? How many kids got drafted straight out of HS before the one and done rule? It's a very small number. Thats why I think the rule is dumb. It's not like all of these one and done players would all just get drafted a year earlier. But for the 1 player a year who is able to, he should be able to capitalize on his abilities right away. But with regards to accounting argument, yeah the smartest person could teach his or herself accounting principles without going to college. But they don't learn it at a young age. There is still a learning process to it. With basketball players they've been learning the principles of the game for a long time before they even go to college. So yeah the smartest person should be able to teach themselves accounting at whatever age, pass the CPA licensing, and be an accountant all without going to school. I will never have a problem with anyone capitalizing on their hard work and abilities. If someone is willing to pay you, you should be able to get paid. Your entire argument is based on if someone is willing to pay you to do something you should be able to. Well, in this case the NBA is not willing to pay you since it is their rule. And there were about 8-10 kids a year going straight from HS.
November 22, 20178 yr Your entire argument is based on if someone is willing to pay you to do something you should be able to. Well, in this case the NBA is not willing to pay you since it is their rule. And there were about 8-10 kids a year going straight from HS. If one owner is willing to pay you, you should be allowed to go.
November 22, 20178 yr I understand why the rule is in place. It's in place by the owners to protect the owners. I just think if someone is skilled enough to not have to wait a year after they graduate HS to go into the NBA they should be allowed to. The teams don't have to draft them. That's why I proposed the MLB draft rules so they could go to college still if they don't get drafted or don't like where they got drafted. I think it's the fairest process for all parties involved. I agree 100% with this.
November 22, 20178 yr Maybe this is a whole separate topic, but the idea to create a "pay for play" college basketball system at HBCUs is pretty interesting. An HBCU Pay-for-Play Basketball League would disrupt the NCAA - HBCU Gameday
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.