#1 Beechwood vs #3 Kentucky Country Day (1A Quarterfinal)

BWTigers

Who wins?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am probably more concerned about this game than most Tiger fans. Defensive takeaway stats are pretty impressive with 16 interceptions and 17 fumble recoveries. Total offense stats more than double their opponents, with both a proficient running and passing game. Large margin of victory averaging over 25 per game. This could be more of a battle than any of us would like.

Kentucky Country Day 28

Frankfort 21

....that tells me all I need to know. Beechwood wins by 28. This team - and coaching staff - is just a cut above.

For any Frankfort fans out there, any info on what happened with DaJuan Davis’ injury. That was a huge loss for them. Also, what happened with Hammons?

Kentucky Country Day 28

Frankfort 21

....that tells me all I need to know. Beechwood wins by 28. This team - and coaching staff - is just a cut above.

For any Frankfort fans out there, any info on what happened with DaJuan Davis’ injury. That was a huge loss for them. Also, what happened with Hammons?

Davis injured ankle on the interception. He couldn’t put weight on it. Trainer told us he was done.

Hammons was fighting the flu and was out all week. He attempted to go and couldn’t.

I just took a glance back to last year to analyze some numbers.

Last year Kentucky Country Day before this game rushed for 2,980 yards while throwing for 1,620 yards.

Kentucky Country Day in 2017 has rushed for 3,209 yards and thrown for 1,610 yards.

They have rushed for 229 yards more. The passing offense almost right on par again with just 10 yards less than last year.

Beechwood in 2016 came in with 2,380 on the ground and 2,152 yards through the air.

Beechwood in 2017 comes in with 1,943 on the ground and 1,629 through the air.

They have 438 yards less on the ground this year than in 2016. They have 523 yards less than 2016.

Just some stats for your thought.. These teams also have had different opponents this and some the same.

NKY comes strong on this thread. Not a surprise, there's a huge and passionate fan base up there. Impossible to answer directly the growing number of the "running clock" "Beechies name the score" "Frankfort game says it all" stuff....it's colorful, passionate and emphatic.

Let me be just as emphatic: What a hell of a lot fun there is to be had on Friday by KCD, win, lose or "Beechies name the score." There are some distinct similarities in the preparation and mindset to the LCA game, which KCD led into the third quarter and then just ran out of gas--namely, this is what you train all year for, to test yourself against a high quality opponent with everything on the line.

The key to this game as it was that game? Mental. If the Bearcats are loose, focused and well prepared....then this one could be fun.

Ya gotta love some of the matchups--6 3 230 TE Josh Lifson versus 5 8 160 Elijah Mckinney(who's a terrific DB), Logan Castleman( who is a flat out athlete) Jack Massie and all-everything talent Daniel Mescher. Lifson and WR Gianni Minor have nearly 900 yards receiving between them and that's with Lifson dinged up for several games earlier and KCD running the ball as a point of emphasis. So the potential is there for exciting head to head competition.

KCD's run game has been the engine of late for the Bearcats with Ashton Robinson carrying the load behind a sizable/ athletic front line. That match up is enticing as well with Beechwood's equally big and talented front seven. Luke Bolger and the Baugh brothers have been so impressive in the tape I've watched. On defense, Beechwood executes beautifully, maintains gaps in a very disciplined way, and pursues relentlessly as a team.

It flat out figures to be a tremendous opportunity for KCD. I doubt anyone from Beechwood's been thinking much about the little private school in Louisville since last November. No reason to: Beechwood kids are the returning champs.

But I know that the Tigers have been on the minds of KCD players last spring, summer and into the fall. The respect is high, the desire to compete, equally high. How cool is it that through a regular season and the first two playoff rounds, KCD's played itself into this spot...delivered on a promise to themselves. Here's hoping it produces a well played, marvelous football game this Friday in Louisville.

NKY comes strong on this thread. Not a surprise, there's a huge and passionate fan base up there. Impossible to answer directly the growing number of the "running clock" "Beechies name the score" "Frankfort game says it all" stuff....it's colorful, passionate and emphatic.

Let me be just as emphatic: What a hell of a lot fun there is to be had on Friday by KCD, win, lose or "Beechies name the score." There are some distinct similarities in the preparation and mindset to the LCA game, which KCD led into the third quarter and then just ran out of gas--namely, this is what you train all year for, to test yourself against a high quality opponent with everything on the line.

The key to this game as it was that game? Mental. If the Bearcats are loose, focused and well prepared....then this one could be fun.

Ya gotta love some of the matchups--6 3 230 TE Josh Lifson versus 5 8 160 Elijah Mckinney(who's a terrific DB), Logan Castleman( who is a flat out athlete) Jack Massie and all-everything talent Daniel Mescher. Lifson and WR Gianni Minor have nearly 900 yards receiving between them and that's with Lifson dinged up for several games earlier and KCD running the ball as a point of emphasis. So the potential is there for exciting head to head competition.

KCD's run game has been the engine of late for the Bearcats with Ashton Robinson carrying the load behind a sizable/ athletic front line. That match up is enticing as well with Beechwood's equally big and talented front seven. Luke Bolger and the Baugh brothers have been so impressive in the tape I've watched. On defense, Beechwood executes beautifully, maintains gaps in a very disciplined way, and pursues relentlessly as a team.

It flat out figures to be a tremendous opportunity for KCD. I doubt anyone from Beechwood's been thinking much about the little private school in Louisville since last November. No reason to: Beechwood kids are the returning champs.

But I know that the Tigers have been on the minds of KCD players last spring, summer and into the fall. The respect is high, the desire to compete, equally high. How cool is it that through a regular season and the first two playoff rounds, KCD's played itself into this spot...delivered on a promise to themselves. Here's hoping it produces a well played, marvelous football game this Friday in Louisville.

Awesome post!! One thing I can for sure tell you is Coach Rash will never let any player look any further than next opponent. If he isn’t anything but he is definitely a coach who believes in focus and doing your job and expects that from everyone down to the water boys!!! While I believe our Tigers will win I refuse to believe this will be anything but a great game to watch. I was worried about KCD last year and all they did is bring back almost every player from last year’s team and handle their business in every game they were favored in. I can’t wait for this game it will be contested on a very high level and Beechwood plays the schedule they do during the regular season for games exactly like this one. I hope everyone gets out of this game injury free and can’t wait to watch it!!!!!!

Kentucky Country Day is clearly the best 1A team Beechwood has faced this season. They are a complete team with no weaknesses, solid across the board. They have a unique offense that they execute very well. They run a variety of options off of the same set, using traps, deception and misdirection. The one thing Beechwood has going for them this year over last year when these two met is these players have played against this offense. Last year the Tigers took a half to figure things out. It should take less than that this year because of last year's experience.

Kentucky Country Day has a good number of excellent high school football players. QB Diaz looks better throwing the ball this year and is more capable of delivering the long ball than what it looked like last year. He plays QB with a LB mentality. He will run over defenders and deliver big blocks leading plays for the backs. WR Minor and TE Lifson are very good targets. RB Robinson does a nice job keeping his feet under him, good balance, very shifty and accelerates quickly out of his cuts. He has the speed to take it to the house. He reminds me of Casey McGuinness of Covington Catholic.

KCD does some very different things on offense. They run out of unusual formations. They will use their QB as a lead blocker on running plays. They will direct snap in shotgun formation to the RB. They will run wheel routes and like to send Minor on deep pass routes out of their bunch formation. KCD likes to pull the backside and try to out number the defense at the point of attack. It is a unique offense that requires the defense to maintain discipline. If a DB peeks in the backfield, a receiver will go right by him for a long ball. If LB's try to jump plays and/or chase the ball, they will get burned on misdirection. Defensive discipline is more important than ever against Kentucky Country Day.

There will be good matchups all over the field but I think the best one will be in the trenches. Kentucky Country Day has an athletic group of linemen that fits very well with their pulling, trapping and misdirection blocking patterns. Beechwood has very good size and athleticism at the line of scrimmage also. Like most games between good teams, the battle at the line of scrimmage will be huge in deciding who wins this game.

This should be a very fun game to watch. It will be competitive. Kentucky Country Day is significantly better than Ludlow and Frankfort so Beechwood fans should not expect this game to look like those games. If Beechwood plays their game with great disciplined defense and takes care of the ball on offense, I expect the Tigers to win by 2 or maybe even 3 touchdowns. I agree that Beechwood's depth will be an advantage for the Tigers. The game may stay close well into the second half before Beechwood finally gets a clear margin. Good luck and best wishes for no injuries to both teams.

Go Tigers!!