Racial Inequality?

FarBeyondDriven

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there’s a difference but is there really? Some pockets of wealth here and there.

Like you said... pockets here and there, and I wouldn't ever consider Newport to be super wealthy, yet there is a noticeable difference say when crossing the 12th Street bridge from Covington into West Newport, and how the economic demographic gradually changes when proceeding, for example, more toward their East Row Historic District.

Like you said... pockets here and there, and I wouldn't ever consider Newport to be super wealthy, yet there is a noticeable difference say when crossing the 12th Street bridge from Covington into West Newport, and how the economic demographic gradually changes when proceeding, for example, more toward their East Row Historic District.

Many years ago, Newport's West End was noticeably different than the East End. Not so much any more. I agree though about Covington.

Based on the evidence presented, it looks to me that we have a low amount of law enforcement mistakes, although we don't want any mistakes. Have there been issues of abuse of power and actual racism? Absolutely.....but the extent of which has been severely overblown by group thinkers, identity politicos, and those who think we should govern based on emotion. I am in NO way discounting any negative experiences that anyone on this board might have had. Unfortunately, we are all human, full of imperfection. Not sure there are any laws that can be enacted at this point to rid ourselves of actual racism. As a society we continue to evolve toward less and less of it, regardless of what is regurgitated by the MSM or on social media. I choose to treat folks as I want to be treated. Just remember.....this whole charade of kneeling during the National Anthem was started by a radical that had embraced the likes of Castro, murdering, true racist Che Guevara, and wore cop/pig socks to make a political statement. Oh, and he also dontated $25K to a foundation honoring cop killer Assata Shakur.

Police shootings of unarmed black men are very rare. And unarmed doesn't necessarily mean they aren't dangerous. For example, look at Michael Brown, who assaulted a police officer and tried to take his gun. He's considered "unarmed".

Lois James, a researcher at Washington State did a study that revealed police are less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects, than they were unarmed white or Hispanic ones in simulated threat scenarios.

Roland Fryer, a Harvard professor, analyzed more than 1,000 police shootings from across the country. He concluded that there is ZERO evidence of racial bias in police shootings.

Some more facts to ponder...

12 % of white/Hispanic homicide victims are killed by cops.

4% of black homicide victims are killed by cops.

Some will say its a sign of bias that blacks make up only 13% of the population, but 26% of police shooting 'victims'.

But you have to take in to account other facts. Blacks make up 15% of the population in the countries 75 largest county's. However they account for 62% of all robberies, 57 % of murders, and 45% of assaults.

A police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black male, than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.

Black males are also over represented in those who kill police officers. Look it up. I'll wait.

NFL Protests Obscure the Facts on Race and Policing

Another good article.

The National Anthem Protests -- Do Facts Matter? | RealClearPolitics

Anytime someone is killed by police it is tragic, and yes, sometimes shootings are not justified. I've commented on some here that i felt weren't justified. However, there is no epidemic. There is no evidence that there's a widespread issue of police shooting innocent black men for no reason. Its non sense.

Your singing my tune. What we "feel" is not necessarily reality. We need facts because then if there is a true disparity, we can address it and then revisit it later to see if we actually did improve the situation.

Police -- Racism Isn’t Why Black Men Get Shot | National Review

"Even the Post itself has noted the relevant data in the past. “In 74 percent of all fatal police shootings, the individuals had already fired shots, brandished a gun or attacked a person with a weapon or their bare hands,” the paper reported in 2015. “Another 16 percent of the shootings came after incidents that did not involve firearms or active attacks but featured other potentially dangerous threats.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449505/police-shootings-black-men-race-not-reason-causal-effect"

"Even the Post itself has noted the relevant data in the past. “In 74 percent of all fatal police shootings, the individuals had already fired shots, brandished a gun or attacked a person with a weapon or their bare hands,” the paper reported in 2015. “Another 16 percent of the shootings came after incidents that did not involve firearms or active attacks but featured other potentially dangerous threats.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449505/police-shootings-black-men-race-not-reason-causal-effect"

By your estimation what would be an acceptable percentage of unjustified police shootings?

By your estimation what would be an acceptable percentage of unjustified police shootings?

Wrong question. The right question is :

Why is there so much focus on the very small amount of police shootings, compared to the very large amount of black on black shootings? Could it be that liberal political leadership wishes to guide its constituency to focus on racial issues (real and perceived), so that accountability for other issues is avoided? Racial tension is promoted by those who wish to politically harvest it.

Why is there no need for a "National Conversation" for the shooting in a white church by a black man in Tennessee recently?

If 10% of all commercial flights crash is that acceptable?

If 10% of all babies born die of physician's negligence is that acceptable?

If 10% of all beef sold in grocery stores is tainted with e coli is that acceptable?

If 10% of all houses explode from improper gas hook up from the energy company is that acceptable?

If 10% of all commercial cruise ships sink is that acceptable?

If 10% of customers slip and fall daily on unmarked freshly mopped floors of the Golden Corral is that acceptable?

If 10% of all of your mail is lost during delivery is that acceptable?

If 10% of all school bus drivers drink on the job is that acceptable?

If 10% of your weekly garbage is overlooked by the garbage collectors is that acceptable?

if 10% of your mobile phone texts didn't send when it said they did is that acceptable?

If 10% of a pack of brand new batteries don't work is that acceptable?

if 10% of the shoppers at your local mall get injured daily on the escalator is that acceptable?

If 10% of every car washed at your local "watch and wait" car wash are handed back to the customer with flooded interiors is that acceptable?

If 10% of every bottle of eye drops had hydrochloric acid in it is that acceptable?

If 10% of every brand new mattress was sold having bed bugs is that acceptable?

If 10% of the spectators at the annual WEBN Riverfest Labor Day Fireworks Display were killed or injured by faulty detonation of the fireworks is that acceptable?

If 10% of rides at King Island Amusement Park killed or injured their riders is that acceptable?

If 10% of all school lunches had broken glass in them is that acceptable?

If 10% of every show you watched provided by your cable service went blank from loss of signal is that acceptable?

If 10% of every can or bottle of Bud Light sold had zero alcohol content in it is that acceptable?

If 10% of every brand new car sold had a faulty air bag is that acceptable?

Of every example I mentioned, would these things be deemed as a problem that needed to be addressed and stopped, or nothing to be concerned with because it only happened 10% of the time?

If 10% of all beef sold in grocery stores is tainted with e coli is that acceptable?

If 10% of all houses explode from improper gas hook up from the energy company is that acceptable?

If 10% of customers slip and fall daily on unmarked freshly mopped floors of the Golden Corral is that acceptable?

If 10% of your weekly garbage is overlooked by the garbage collectors is that acceptable?

if 10% of your mobile phone texts didn't send when it said they did is that acceptable?

if 10% of the shoppers at your local mall get injured daily on the escalator is that acceptable?

If 10% of every car washed at your local "watch and wait" car wash are handed back to the customer with flooded interiors is that acceptable?

If 10% of every bottle of eye drops had hydrochloric acid in it is that acceptable?

If 10% of the spectators at the annual WEBN Riverfest Labor Day Fireworks Display were killed or injured by faulty detonation of the fireworks is that acceptable?

If 10% of rides at King Island Amusement Park killed or injured their riders is that acceptable?

If 10% of every show you watched provided by your cable service went blank from loss of signal is that acceptable?

If 10% of every can or bottle of Bud Light sold had zero alcohol content in it is that acceptable?

Of every example I mentioned, would these things be deemed as a problem that needed to be addressed and stopped, or nothing to be concerned with because it only happened 10% of the time?

What would you acceptable rate of police assassinations be?

10% of police shootings aren't even questionable.

Every police shooting is investigated, most by another agency.

You are using an unfair analogy. What percentage of police interactions with unarmed black citizens results in a death ?

It is so low it doesn't register in any statiscal analysis .

You are using an unfair analogy. What percentage of police interactions with unarmed black citizens results in a death ?

It is so low it doesn't register in any statiscal analysis .

Am I?

We hold everything I mentioned to a certain standard that otherwise we'd take objection to if those standards weren't aimed to be met 100% of the time.

Why then do we not hold police officers to the same standard to perform their job professionally 100% of the time?

If the statistics presented here are correct why then is it OK that 1 in 10 people shot by a police officer is done so unnecessarily?

If a police officer does this he should be held accountable, and not get off easy just because he is a police officer.

And where was I specifically referring to cops shooting blacks?

They shouldn't be unnecessarily shooting anyone of any race.

What would you acceptable rate of police assassinations be?

Zero would be the desired optimum rate of police assassinations, but unfortunately our culture has allowed for the mass production and selling of guns which has equated to more guns in existence, and then more guns on the streets, and more guns in the wrong hands.

Though it's our constitutional right to bear arms, we haven't done ourselves any favors by becoming such a gun happy nation where they have become so freely available.

I get that if law abiding citizens didn't have the freedom to own guns then it would only be the criminals that have them, and I'm not here to say that they shouldn't, yet over the last 10 years or more we have become with the help from a large push by the NRA a gun obsessed nation where so many are obstinately intent on owning them for the general principle that it's their right to be able to, and I opine that it's only lead to more production and sales, more in existence, and therefore more in the wrong hands than ever before.

I'd like to believe that we could once and for all put a stop to this madness but I fear that now it's so out of hand that it's beyond correcting.

I would love for there to be real solutions regarding crime, and especially violent crime, and whatever way possible that we can eliminate it should be of the highest priority.

Violent crime is one of the worst factors of this country's problems, and if a person is found guilty of murder they should be held responsible for it and do the time, which is often the case when they are arrested and tried. No one objects to this, and other than criminals themselves we're all in agreement that murder is wrong, and offenders should be locked up.

We should hold tax paid law enforcers to a high standard that when given the responsibility of carrying a gun they should be expected not to use it for criminal activity, but if they do, they too just like a criminal should be held accountable.

We know that not all cops are bad with intentions of criminal activity, and we also know that it's a low percentage who are. The ones who are need not be able to get a pass simply because they're a police officer.

Some are found guilty and do pay the price, but often is the case that because they are a police officer, no matter if the evidence is strong against them, they have a better chance of getting off than an ordinary citizen committing a violent and deadly crime.

Why?

I understand that there are great pressures and stress that go along with the job, but obviously if someone is not capable of handling those pressures, this is not the right line of work for him or her.

The assumption that just because someone is a police officer that they can't be bad is simply ridiculous, and while so many do approach the position honorably and professionally others are ego-trippin', power-trippin' trigger happy monsters that are no better than street thugs yet they have a license and a badge, and take advantage of their position to throw their authority around, and because they're a cop they can do as they please and even get away with murder.

Please don't even suggest that this is not the case because though never having seen in person a cop shoot anyone, I have definitely witnessed on numerous occasions some being downright meat headed jerks.

Recently I spotted a guy in Kroger shoplifting an expensive steak, and just happened to be at check out to tell an employee about him as he was walking out, so they quickly alerted security who chased the guy down the street and caught him and had him arrested.

The manager thanked me, and when the security guy came back in the store he was excited to tell me his big adventure of how he chased the guy with a gun and threatened to shoot him if he didn't stop, and added that if he kept running he was gonna!

"Over a piece of meat!?", I thought to myself.

I didn't want to get on the wrong side of the security guy by suggesting that maybe that was a bit of an overreaction, but Immediately thought to myself that this was the last time that I would ever report something like that at Kroger again if it meant someone might lose their damn life over it.

Mind you this was not a Covington Police Officer, but a store security guy in uniform carrying a gun. Just talking to him I knew that he didn't have the proper mentality to be entrusted with a gun, and that the motivation behind his chosen profession was for his own power trip. Not the kind of guy that I felt comfortable with carrying a gun and being in charge.

In this same way, you also have some police officers who have that same mentality, and while I've always conducted myself properly when being confronted by them, and have never been arrested for anything in my life, and acted politely if ever pulled over, or approached for whatever reason, I have had situations where I was talked down to so incredibly rudely where it just wasn't warranted that I was dealt with in that manner.

To be fair there have also been officers who acted perfectly regarding situations, and I have no objection whatsoever with how they handled the situation, and felt that they did their job professionally.

I used to work third shift and stayed up late on my middle of the week nights off.

One night after soberly taking in a band at a club I was driving home on a two lane one way road for 20 city blocks where I was the only car on the road.

At the 8th block I noticed a police cruiser going very slowly in the left lane, which I had assumed he was looking at a possible crime in progress.

I switched to the right lane going the speed limit, and just as I did he sped up and jumped directly in front of me, and then came to a crawl once more...

Baffled, I tried to go back to the left lane, but every time I tried he'd swerve to the left dangerously almost creating an accident.

I came to realize that he was playing with me, and absolutely was not going to let me just proceed, and was insistent on keeping me behind him going 5 miles an hour, and I suppose was hoping that I'd give him some reason to pull me over for some violation that would be created by his obstinate antics.

I thought to just pull over to let him just go on, but thought that he'd probably just stop and try to keep pestering me, or confront me.

I just wanted to go home.

By the 20th block he finally turned right, and I proceeded forward to finally once again get moving to get on home.

Needless to say his bull crap really grinded my gears, but what was I to do? He held the cards, and was abusing his privileges to either get his kicks, or hope to bust me for something.

While I'm not of the opinion that all police officers are jerks, nor am I even saying that the ones who are jerks are all murderers, but the ones that cross the line and kill unnecessarily need to be held accountable, and not get off easy just because they're a cop.

If an officer has proven himself to not have the proper mentality for the job, and has a history of not properly de-escalating situations and rather makes them worse, he needs to be eliminated from the force, and not give him the opportunity to have things ever get to a deadly level.

While we'd certainly like for it to stop, it's difficult trying to stop police officers from being murdered because it's not like you can just get criminals to promise they won't. That's sorta what makes them criminals and they're not typically easy to negotiate with.

However on the other side of the coin where we the tax payers, though fully aware of the dangers of the job, are entrusting officers to conduct themselves professionally and not abuse their authority. This is a standard that we should strive for and demand. While we can't completely demand that a criminal abide by the law, from our law enforcers it should be what we require of them. After all they are expected to protect the law, not to break it.