September 30, 20179 yr What laws do we need pass to stamp out white privelage? I will await this response. But this is a great question. @Bengal Maniac ?
September 30, 20179 yr What laws do we need pass to stamp out white privelage? I will await this response. But this is a great question. @Bengal Maniac ? I've not heard anyone suggest that they're calling for laws to be passed to stamp out white privilege. That's an implied invented idea here to put words into Bengal Maniac's mouth, or suggest that he was implying as much, but he wasn't, nor was anyone else. What I am hearing is the call that we as a nation might further the conversation regarding racism with the hopes that our culture can collectively become a more understanding, and all inclusive one. Strides have been made over the years to where we are today, and for many that is a much better place than attitudes of the past, yet we haven't really made it quite far enough, and there's still room to cultivate a more understanding environment that could lead to better examples of fairness. Bengal Maniac made a very good point about how difficult this discussion is when some people see a problem while others don't. It's sorta hard to make strides when we're all not on the same page about the need to make strides. When BM said that FarBeyondDriven proved his point he was responding to him alluding to not seeing white privilege, pointing out an example where someone doesn't believe that it exist amidst this discussion where others do. Though one might read that BM sees white privilege he wasn't claiming one way or another that it exist, but pointing out that many are not in agreement about it which is the reason it's so hard to move forward with people on different pages about it. It's a bit ridiculous to pin on him for having said what he did that he answer your invented question as if to imply that's what he was saying, which it wasn't. I won't mince words because I indeed do see white privilege and have so my entire life all the way to having benefitted from it, and have been in situations that I was quite aware that my whiteness made things easier for me than for others. What is problematic for those of us who see the issue with racism and prejudice is the ones who don't seem to believe that there's an issue, and while they might not consciously be aware of it, or resist becoming more understanding about it... to many of us they painfully appear to be what is holding our culture up from progressing with their refusal to even face the reality of it. Obviously you can't force others to see what you're seeing, and there in lies the problem when so many of us feel we need those who resist to get on board to make this fairness thing work, but if they don't and won't all we can do is hope someday they will, and until then pray that our culture at least naturally progresses over time, and that eventually our society becomes a more understanding one. I believe that we can, because I've seen that in some ways we already have.
September 30, 20179 yr Im not saying it does not exist to a degree. I am saying what do you want? I did not grow up with any privileges. I have worked hard to get where I am today. Some would say I have benefited from being white. I say hog wash. I have benefited from hard work.
September 30, 20179 yr This discussion thus far demonstrates the problem. If you don't think there is "white privelage" then you will never see the problem, never. Simple as that. I am not criticiazing those that don't think there is "white privelage", just they will never see the problem. What are your feelings about black people that disagree with you?
September 30, 20179 yr What are your feelings about black people that disagree with you? You mean the outliers? No problem. There are always outliers.
September 30, 20179 yr You mean the outliers? No problem. There are always outliers. So, they're wrong in your opinion?
September 30, 20179 yr Mason Weaver believes there is a well-funded effort to create racial discord in U.S. BLACKS: STOP BELIEVING 'WHITE PRIVILEGE' IS REAL I'm not saying I agree or disagree with him. I would like to hear opinions of others on his claims. Thoughts?
September 30, 20179 yr So, they're wrong in your opinion? I believe there is "white privelage", I didn't say they were wrong. I just don't agree with them.
September 30, 20179 yr Im not saying it does not exist to a degree. I am saying what do you want? I did not grow up with any privileges. I have worked hard to get where I am today. Some would say I have benefited from being white. I say hog wash. I have benefited from hard work. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, and indeed also had to work to accomplish any successes or comforts that I have enjoyed, but at a very early age while seeing people both blacks and whites around me who were less fortunate, I felt rather blessed and lucky that by simply being born into a middle class family I was awarded from birth the benefits of never having to want for anything because everything that I needed was provided for me. Still I had to put forth efforts in school to maintain decent grades, and then further my education to ultimately obtains the proper skills to earn a career position that would give me the means to support myself. Though I didn't much care for one of my white bosses, when I had a promotional opportunity where she was the one deciding, she said to me "I will see to it that this promotion goes to a white male...wink wink", when indeed there were a couple of black candidates for the position who were just as capable as me. Sure I wanted the position but it made me feel uneasy to hear her say that and to know that my leg up was that I was white. Inside I felt like I wanted to cry foul to her, yet I didn't because I wanted the position, but still felt ashamed of myself to feel like I was going along with her distasteful sentiment. That's just one example that has stood out to me, and I consider it to be significant. My general outward appearance is one of a white clean cut, clean shaven alter boy that would never arouse suspicion from anyone to take a closer look to make sure that I had no ill intent, and while I've never been arrested for anything nor do I conduct myself in any way that would warrant it, I have not always abided by the law, and more specifically when it comes to on numerous occasions in my past having had in my possession an illegal substance when moving about town or when entering an event. I'm well aware that my outward behavior of playing the angel has made it easy for me to navigate through doorways seamlessly without much effort or resistance and go completely unnoticed as if to blend in, that others around me didn't have the same ease as I because they were observed more closely because of the color of their skin. I've just flashed a winning smile and a polite hello and "Welcome sir, come right on in". I wouldn't call myself a con artist, or that I'm out to commit any terrible offenses, yet if I have any agenda to get past certain filters or barriers I can do so more easily than others just by playing the role of Mr. Clean Cut White Guy. If I had any true ill intent then I'd consider it terribly awful of me, and while it's mostly for nothing serious, I do indeed play it to my advantage when need be because I know how people see things. I think that our culture has even duped some black people to view whites this way too, as I have seen situations where even if a black person was on duty to keep a close eye that I look to them like the most perfect innocent guy that would give them no reason whatsoever to be suspicious. I don't completely feel comfortable with myself for at times playing things this way, but I'm well aware that I can when I'm in a situation where I indeed have. I don't have a criminal mind, nor do I ever have any intentions of doing anything horrible, but I have often times recognized loopholes awarded to me that had me thinking, "Wow...if I were to be a thief, just look how easy that would have been", while knowing with certainty that ease came solely because of my outward appearance and alter boy conduct. Like you said, you haven't experienced any white privilege, and I'll take you at your word, yet I will opine that I do believe that a lot of us white folk often do and aren't ever much aware of just how commonplace it is, and don't even recognize it when it happens. When one doesn't recognize it, then I can certainly see how they'd conclude that it doesn't much exist.
September 30, 20179 yr I believe there is "white privelage", I didn't say they were wrong. I just don't agree with them. Fair enough. Did you read the link I posted? I'm interested in your thoughts about it.
September 30, 20179 yr This discussion thus far demonstrates the problem. If you don't think there is "white privelage" then you will never see the problem, never. Simple as that. I am not criticiazing those that don't think there is "white privelage", just they will never see the problem. Is it because it's a myth in 2017? I believe in economic privilege . I'm pretty sure white people in EKY , West Covington and East Newport would love some of this privilege they are suppose to have. In America the only privilege comes from wealth.
September 30, 20179 yr Is it because it's a myth in 2017? I believe in economic privilege . I'm pretty sure white people in EKY , West Covington and East Newport would love some of this privilege they are suppose to have. In America the only privilege comes from wealth. Did you mean West Newport?
September 30, 20179 yr Did you mean West Newport? Yep sorry I meant West Newport. I lived on West 8th for a couple years.
September 30, 20179 yr Yep sorry I meant West Newport. I lived on West 8th for a couple years. I thought that's what you meant. Newport is my old stomping grounds.
September 30, 20179 yr Did you mean West Newport? I know there’s a difference but is there really? Some pockets of wealth here and there.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.