Kneeling during anthem: will HS join this Friday?

MWats23

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't' watched any NFL football today. If they continue to mix politics in, I won't watch anymore. Nothing bothers me more than mingling politics and stupid stuff into everything.

I haven't watched a single second of this season and will not. My football is now on Friday and Saturday. The NFL I'm sure does't miss me, and it's likewise I don't miss them either.

Kneeling during the national anthem in my eyes is distasteful and shows pure lack of respect.

If kneeling is considered you making a statement that you don't agree with how the country is being ran or if you are wanting to make a change in what you consider to be wrong based on how you believe and If I was a head coach and had a player come to me and say he was going to sit or kneel during the national anthem I would look the young man or adult in his eyes and ask him how he thinks kneeling during the national anthem is making this country a better place to live? The national anthem is supposed to be taking pride in where you live and honoring those who died so you could suit up and play football or fans and parents could come and watch you play. Kneeling is same as spitting in the faces of all the current active military and those who died defending your freedom.

I would then tell that young man or adult to enjoy sitting on the bench until he could learn to comprehend the meaning behind being a leader and if he didn't agree then he could go play else where.

The Pittsburgh Steelers did that just today. Only members of the team on the field during the anthem were some assistant coaches and a Steeler player in the tunnel who was in the military before his playing career. Will be seeing more teams staying in the locker room and skipping the National Anthem altogether at all levels.

Phelps High School Coach David Jones was asked about this topic on EKB News last season. Coach Jones said none of his players would kneel during the national anthem. He said if they did, they would not play for him. He went on to say that if the administration didn't want to back him on this, they could find a new coach. FYI, David Jones is African-American.

This is a great thread!

I am glad that all of you agree that people should stand in respect of the anthem / flag and everything they stand for. And I am also glad you agree that politics should stay in political arenas.

Yesterday it felt like the press and owners supported the players not wanting to stand and this saddened / sickened me. I know in my heart that most Americans are proud to sing the national anthem and like me, get goose bumps with the Air Force does a fly by over a stadium.

Honestly, I am not sure how kneeling during the anthem would help prevent police brutality, save black (or any) lives or make a statement to Washington. It is the wrong forum all together!

The NFL should enforce their policy referenced earlier in this thread and fine all of their athletes who break their clearly stated rules!

And if High School kids and teams choose to disrespect the anthem, shame on them... their players shouldn't play!

God Bless America!

I truly hope the high schools don't follow the poor example given by the NFL players.

It's too bad President Trump's poorly-thought out tirade trivialized the entire debate and made people forget the reason for the protests and the reason why most of us disapprove of the way the protests are being staged.

First off, let me say this: I think the protestors are trying to raise the level of consciousness about something that needs attention. I applaud them for their desire to do something about it.

And - I believe that what our country stands for includes the right of every citizen - including football players - to express themselves BUT....

There is an appropriate time and place. This isn't it.

The presentation of the National Anthem is more than simply a time-honored tradition. It's a 3-4 minute period before the game begins when all of us at the game stand and show respect and honor for some very specific things:

- forgetting for a moment the things we know need to improve, and instead honoring all the things that make America a great nation. There are many reasons why millions of people the world over have gravitated to America. Those reasons deserve our appreciation.

- remembering the things that unite us as a nation, not the things that divide (it's how Steelers fans and Raiders fans can, for a moment, remember that we are all Americans first, fans second) If we are to ever conquer some of the challenges and get past the things that sow fear and distrust among different people, we have got to reinforce this important fact. Diversity makes us strong - but remembering what unites us makes us a great nation and a more compassionate people.

- At the same time, we honor the diversity of the melting pot that is America, and the contributions of people that came from every corner of the planet to create this nation and what it stands for. Most Americans are like me - I have the blood of countless nations in me, including European countries and at least one Native American tribe (Cherokee).

- showing respect and thanks for all the military personnel who have sacrificed so much to preserve our way of life, including the liberties we cherish so much. I stand to recognize every member of the Armed Forces, and in particular, all the many members of my family who served in so many parts of the world with our military. They thought it was important to fight for - and potentially die for - millions of people that they would never meet, of every walk of life. Simply standing and saluting for a few moments hardly seems thanks enough.

- finally, remembering that the flag and Anthem don't represent police brutality or injustice or racism or any of the things that we still have to resolve. The flag and Anthem are rallying points behind / under which we celebrate what we have done right, the things that unify us, and make us hopeful for continued positive changes in the future that will make America an even better place. The Anthem should be the rallying cry of every protestor who is truly sincere about making America a better place - not something you would show disrespect to.

I have been uncomfortable with this protest ever since Colin Kapernick got the movement started. At first, I wrestled with the idea - I didn't like it, but I recognized the right to disagree. But the more I've thought about it, the more it's made me angry. And I've largely turned off the NFL as a result.

I was asked once "when else" would the players use their collective voice... Well, I think they could be far more productive by putting their protest to good use in other ways....run for office, attend political open houses and governmental meetings, write letters to newspapers and political leaders, joint grassroots organizations, put together / lead grassroots organizations, or even stand on a street corner with a sign. All of these would have far greater impact and would also show that the player actually was actually willing to "put their money where their mouth is." It frankly doesn't take much to take a knee on TV and doesn't really help anyone's "cause." In fact, I'd wager that the Anthem protests during the game actually are pushing a large number of people away from the protesters' cause. But taking a knee on TV, though far less productive, is more glamorous. Maybe this is why true volunteers, committed to the success of a cause, are rarely called out for their egos....

You see, unfortunately, while kneeling during the Anthem seems innocuous enough, and more or less harmless, it is a truly selfish display that seeks to interject itself into the middle of something else. Let me put it this way: If we were all at a funeral for someone, and you were giving the eulogy - a moment where the assembled multitude was unified in showing respect for the departed person - how would you feel about a group of the audience standing up during the eulogy and protesting for some reason totally unrelated to the tribute you were presenting? At the end of the day, this is the exact same thing - a disrespectful display that distracts from a moment intended for respect and dishonors the people and the things the rest of us are trying to honor.

Save it for later. Shoot, if you have to do it during the game, do it during the game itself. Don't selfishly demand attention for yourself at the expense of others.