Minneapolis Officer Shoots and Kills Woman Who Called 911

UKMustangFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He anyone mentioned how the body cams were "off" for reasons unknown?
Do they run non stop? I'm simply asking. I would assume they do not. Perhaps when they are out of the cruiser, maybe not. Anyone?

Body Cameras DO NOT run non stop, they have to be switched on. For privacy reason, they are in many cases not turned on when speaking to victims or people that aren't suspects. Dash Cameras typically come on when the blue lights are activated.

Just talking to someone at your door would not normally be a time to turn on body cameras, even if they were on they would have been looking straight ahead and not out the left window, unless the officer was able to turn completely sideways in their seat...which in 90% of the cases they can't with all of their gear on.

Do they run non stop? I'm simply asking. I would assume they do not. Perhaps when they are out of the cruiser, maybe not. Anyone?

Great question looks like it was answered below. The Minny Mayor however, is calling for body cam reform. They're gonna be turned on as soon a cop responds to a call now after Minny writes this multi million dollar check to the victims family. That makes sense to me as well.

Great question looks like it was answered below. The Minny Mayor however, is calling for body cam reform. They're gonna be turned on as soon a cop responds to a call now after Minny writes this multi million dollar check to the victims family. That makes sense to me as well.

Even if they were on in this case in all likelihood they would not have shown anything. Most are mounted in the middle of the officer's chest or on their collar, in both cases they only show what is directly in front of the officer. If they are looking to their left out the window, the cameras would still be aiming forward.

Even if they were on in this case in all likelihood they would not have shown anything. Most are mounted in the middle of the officer's chest or on their collar, in both cases they only show what is directly in front of the officer. If they are looking to their left out the window, the cameras would still be aiming forward.

They have a lot more of a peripheral vantage than people realize. Also, it would have grabbed the audio.

From my earlier post:

With the body cameras, it is not surprising it was not activated. Not yet at least. If it was just a routine call, officers have discretion when to turn on the cameras, generally reserved for activation before you are going to encounter someone. For instance, you are called over to a domestic, an officer may turn on the body camera before exiting the car or walking up to the door. If one is en route driving, you don't just arbitrarily have on a body camera. Many think body cameras are running the entirety of a shift.

This is not justifying anything, but maybe it is an explanation as to why camera footage was not available. It also shows that body cameras are not a full-proof solution.

They have a lot more of a peripheral vantage than people realize. Also, it would have grabbed the audio.

Not as much as you would think, I've watched several videos from them and no way are they showing someone at the drivers door with the driver sitting normally in their seat. Most have 110 to 130 degrees of video, but even that would still miss someone at the door. It would have grabbed audio as you stated, which may have helped in this case.

Not as much as you would think, I've watched several videos from them and no way are they showing someone at the drivers door with the driver sitting normally in their seat. Most have 110 to 130 degrees of video, but even that would still miss someone at the door. It would have grabbed audio as you stated, which may have helped in this case.

That's also assuming the subject is not moving their torso at all. Up to 130 degrees is much higher than what people are aware. Again, not full proof.