Minneapolis Officer Shoots and Kills Woman Who Called 911

UKMustangFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I get the impression that when people come to learn that the victim was a pretty Australian blonde who was engaged to be married to a nice clean cut guy, and that the cop who shot her was Somali-American officer named Mohamed Noor, and not what their minds might’ve instantly conjured up about the races of the victim and the cop, that they’ll instantly be able to recognize how wrong this was, and unfortunately not because it was indeed wrong, but because their perception will now have other various factors helping them along to more clearly see it as wrong?

Why do I get the impression that when people come to learn that the victim was a pretty Australian blonde who was engaged to be married to a nice clean cut guy, and that the cop who shot her was Somali-American officer named Mohamed Noor, and not what their minds might’ve instantly conjured up about the races of the victim and the cop, that they’ll instantly be able to recognize how wrong this was, and unfortunately not because it was indeed wrong, but because their perception will now have other various factors helping them along to more clearly see it as wrong?

mirror neurons

If its wrong its wrong. I will reseve judgement for now because we dont know exactly what happened yet, but it does look bad. The race of either party does not matter.

I definitely want to hear the full story on this one. On the face of it, it just makes no sense what so ever. Lady who called the cops is in her pj's talking with one cop at the cruiser window, next instant dude opens fire, ACROSS HIS PARTNER (which should take place in only the most dire/extreme cases) and shoots this lady multiple times? The story just makes no sense. I hope these two officers were separated quickly at the scene and are not allowed to have contact with each other as I really want to hear the two stories and how they might differ.

Exactly the point that I was making. :thumb:

I think if you look back through several of these threads you will see that many have been of the opinion that the race of neither party matter, just the facts of the case. So even though many may want to spin this into something else, this is just like the other cases in that the facts and evidence are what they are...regardless of the race of either party.

So HB20 saying that, I don't think makes the same point you were trying to make. :thumb:

I think if you look back through several of these threads you will see that many have been of the opinion that the race of neither party matter, just the facts of the case. So even though many may want to spin this into something else, this is just like the other cases in that the facts and evidence are what they are...regardless of the race of either party.

So HB20 saying that, I don't think makes the same point you were trying to make. :thumb:

Yes.

It never has, to me anyway, but that doesn't stop people from assuming police are wrong when a minority is involved.

Like JD said, the facts are what matter.

Yes.

What point do you think that I was trying to make?

I indeed WAS saying that race shouldn't matter, and that wrong is wrong...

However there's no doubt in my mind that some white folks would question/doubt the early reports if they thought that it was a white cop, and a black woman.

Some would conclude that there must be something "more to the story", and that the black woman must've done something to escalate the situation, however once they learned that it was a middle class white woman and a Muslim police officer, I guarantee that the very same people would immediately switch gears in their thinking, and think that the police officer was likely a radical loose cannon, which he probably is no matter his race, but much easier for some to conclude because of his race, and their impression of that.

I'm not suggesting either that only those within the white race are capable of letting stereotypes dictate their thinking (they all can), yet in this particular case I'm proposing what I've said from the perspective of a white person quick to judge the circumstances, or the circumstances of any other police shooting.

Right out of the gate with this thread I was already feeling the vibe of what I am suggesting, and It would be interesting to know, if they're willing to admit it, what initial picture they had in their head of those involved, and if they noticed any 180's in their thinking when they found out who actually was involved?

Bottom line, if one found themselves more easily believing the particulars of the reports of this shooting once they realized that it was a Muslim, but demanded more info when they might've thought that it was a white cop, I'm suggesting that they let their stereotypes dictate their knee-jerk reactions of how they first reacted to the early reports, and if it were to have been a white cop, defense of his actions and needing more info would likely have followed, but because it's a Muslim guy, and while he was clearly in the wrong, no white guy now is going give him the same benefit of the doubt that they might've given the white cop.

What point do you think that I was trying to make?

I indeed WAS saying that race shouldn't matter, and that wrong is wrong...

However there's no doubt in my mind that some white folks would question/doubt the early reports if they thought that it was a white cop, and a black woman.

Some would conclude that there must be something "more to the story", and that the black woman must've done something to escalate the situation, however once they learned that it was a middle class white woman and a Muslim police officer, I guarantee that the very same people would immediately switch gears in their thinking, and think that the police officer was likely a radical loose cannon, which he probably is no matter his race, but much easier for some to conclude because of his race, and their impression of that.

I'm not suggesting either that only those within the white race are capable of letting stereotypes dictate their thinking (they all can), yet in this particular case I'm proposing what I've said from the perspective of a white person quick to judge the circumstances, or the circumstances of any other police shooting.

Right out of the gate with this thread I was already feeling the vibe of what I am suggesting, and It would be interesting to know, if they're willing to admit it, what initial picture they had in their head of those involved, and if they noticed any 180's in their thinking when they found out who actually was involved?

Bottom line, if one found themselves more easily believing the particulars of the reports of this shooting once they realized that it was a Muslim, but demanded more info when they might've thought that it was a white cop, I'm suggesting that they let their stereotypes dictate their knee-jerk reactions of how they first reacted to the early reports, and if it were to have been a white cop, defense of his actions and needing more info would likely have followed, but because it's a Muslim guy, and while he was clearly in the wrong, no white guy now is going give him the same benefit of the doubt that they might've given the white cop.

Do we know that the officer was a Muslim?

Do we know that the officer was a Muslim?

I haven't found anything specifically stating that Officer Mohamed Noor is a Muslim, yet he was raised in the states by parents native to Somali. The name Mohamed is Arabic, and a variant of Mohammad, founder of the Islamic religion.

So far I can only assume that he was raised a Muslim, but still I suppose that would also be like thinking that anyone named Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John is a Christian, which isn't always the case, so I can't say for certain that Somalians would name their child Mohamed yet not be followers of the Islamic religion. I honestly don't know how loosely they use that name, or if those using it are without doubt raised in the Islamic tradition.

I haven't found anything specifically stating that Officer Mohamed Noor is a Muslim, yet he was raised in the states by parents native to Somali. The name Mohamed is Arabic, and a variant of Mohammad, founder of the Islamic religion.

So far I can only assume that he was raised a Muslim, but still I suppose that would also be like thinking that anyone named Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John is a Christian, which isn't always the case, so I can't say for certain that Somalians would name their child Mohamed yet not be followers of the Islamic religion. I honestly don't know how loosely they use that name, or if those using it are without doubt raised in the Islamic tradition.

I know many Lebanese families who's males have surnames like Mohamed, Ali, Kalil, Ahmad, and .... Habib. All came from Lebanon as Catholics and are still so. Can't judge a book by the name on its cover. :)

I know many Lebanese families who's males have surnames like Mohamed, Ali, Kalil, Ahmad, and .... Habib. All came from Lebanon as Catholics and are still so. Can't judge a book by the name on its cover. :)

Fair point.

Somalia is 99.9% Islam, and 0.1% other...

Of course these percentages offer no concrete evidence that his parents raised him here in the states as such (and let me be clear that I have absolutely no problem with that if they had), so until we actually hear for certain, we won't know for certain, but my post was more so related to how easily some can see one thing one way, but if the cast of player's race is different they can have the knee-jerk tendency to let stereotypes dictate their perspective to feel otherwise.