NBA playoffs, do they need an overhaul?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the NBA much more in the playoffs I did during the regular season. I haven't cared for the blowouts but I've enjoyed the close games/series. One factor in making the games enjoyable is the flow of the games. I think the NBA does a much better job than the NCAA in limiting stoppages (and the duration of them) during the last few minutes of tight games. This adds to a positive viewing experience. I know we are just now getting down to the final 4 teams, but the playoffs have not felt overly long to me.

The reality is there is a sizeable gap between the elite teams and the next tier, thanks to the advent of super teams.

All season I have felt the pecking order was:

1. Golden State

2. San Antonio

3. Cleveland

4. Boston

5. Houston

6-12: Handful of teams

13 - : The rest

I like sports history, so to say the finals are just beginning to be a fire gone conclusion is kind of hypocritical. Back in the 60's and 70's the Jerry West led Lakers seem to be in the finals every year seemingly against the Celtics. The Knicks and Philadelphia Warriors broke through on occassion. Elgin Baylor played in 8 Title games for the Lakers and lost all 8. Jerry West only won 2 out of nine or ten. Seems Basketball has been this way since it's inception

Not sure why the talk of change now. This is what the history of NBA basketball has always been. Basically dominant teams going on runs for a few years or even decades.

We had the Lakers and Celtics. In the 90s two teams won 8 championships in the Bulls and Rockets. The NBA has never been a league of parity. It's a league of dominance by teams who may have one of the best players in the world.

College basketball honestly would be the same if they played series instead of a one and out tournament. Just imagine how many titles UK, Duke, and North Carolina would probably be close to the 20s in championships if they played series instead of a one and out tournament. Shoot just imagine how many more titles Tom Brady and the Pats have if they played series.

If you want more surprises and excitement then go to a one and out format in the NBA. It would be game 7 then of every game. Plus the playoffs would be over in less than 2 weeks lol.

The reality is there is a sizeable gap between the elite teams and the next tier, thanks to the advent of super teams.

1. Golden State

2. San Antonio

3. Cleveland

4. Boston

5. Houston

I do put Washington in the same tier as Boston and Houston.

1. Golden State

2. San Antonio

3. Cleveland

4. Boston

5. Houston

Yeah pretty much.

Going back to 1980, these seven teams are responsible for 33 of 37 championships...

Lakers (10)

Bulls (6)

Spurs (5)

Celtics (4)

Pistons (3)

Heat (3)

Rockets (2)

The last 6 years have given us 3 unique champions outside of that bunch in the Cavs, Warriors, and Mavericks. The last time a team outside of the seven above-mentioned won a championship prior to 2011 was the 76ers in 1983!

In a best of 7 series, the better team usually wins. I feel like this conversation comes up annually, but I think the playoffs are fine as-is. The top teams are just that good.