Is Freshman Football Dying?

So you dont keep kids from playing AAU and being pressured to go play AAU by the HS coach. If your not going to stop it in basketball when it isnt even basketball season then you might as well forget it.

What about kids who play summer baseball? That is up to them. I am only talking about school sanctioned sports where they wear the name of the school on their chest and use school facilities to train and practice and are coached by the same people who are on the sidelines for the games. We are nit picking for the sake of argument. Lay down the rules and leave it be and punish those who violate.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the workouts in the early summer do play a role, but obviously not just freshman. Ex: my son's #1 sport is baseball. He wanted try football when he entered middle school. He has the body for it and his dad is a former college player and high school coach, but the kid is a pretty good baseball player and plays club all summer. The high school football coach doesn't like his players missing early summer workouts, etc for other club sports, so my kid said fine I won't play football if I have to choose one over the other in two years. It's the same senario for AAU basketball. It's a killer for small schools.

What about kids who play summer baseball? That is up to them. I am only talking about school sanctioned sports where they wear the name of the school on their chest and use school facilities to train and practice and are coached by the same people who are on the sidelines for the games. We are nit picking for the sake of argument. Lay down the rules and leave it be and punish those who violate.

Really? Because I know of more than a handful of assistant coaches or other teachers in the school whom are affiliated with these traveling baseball/AAU teams, and these same schools rent out their facilities to these teams. But it's not ok for football?

I'm so out of touch with HS football today that I listen and can't believe that there is no freshman teams for some schools.

In the 70's to early 80's, Boyle had a Freshman team play a 9 game schedule. JV was made up of non-starting sophs and Juniors. Usually played a 5 game schedule. Usually played local competition with the farthest teams being Marion and Woodford County one year.

I think the workouts in the early summer do play a role, but obviously not just freshman. Ex: my son's #1 sport is baseball. He wanted try football when he entered middle school. He has the body for it and his dad is a former college player and high school coach, but the kid is a pretty good baseball player and plays club all summer. The high school football coach doesn't like his players missing early summer workouts, etc for other club sports, so my kid said fine I won't play football if I have to choose one over the other in two years. It's the same senario for AAU basketball. It's a killer for small schools.

That is short sighted by the football coach. Beechwood recently had three top players that were really good baseball players and played high level summer ball. Coach Rash worked with the players and their schedule. Two of those players are playing D1 baseball (UL and UK) and the other one had a D1 football scholarship but is walking on at UK. They all were great football players that helped Beechwood win a lot of football games.

So many out there cut their nose off to spite their face.

At every D1 Football program across the country right now the overwhelming vast majority of all student/athletes are HOME (some do the May summer term if they HAVE to for eligibility reasons), and they will be home until the 1st week of June (so they are OFF/AWAY from the coaches, campus facilities, etc for some 3-4 weeks). They come back in June/July for summer school/workouts, but May? Gone. If not mistaken, they usually get a week to do the same at the end of July before camp starts, too.

Smaller division schools (NCAA D2/D3 & NAIA)? The overwhelming majority of student-athletes go home all of May, June & July (the schools at that level can't afford to PAY them for going to summer school like D1 programs...that's how D1 programs get away with it...not only are their classes paid for, but so is their time for being there...aka...their SUMMER JOB is class and football).

High school football? Coaches (some) lose their ever loving minds if they don't have them all summer long (especially in June). Hell, some even put on a front like a two week Dead Period is the devil.

....somewhere, somehow...things have gotten just a tad bit twisted.

So many out there cut their nose off to spite their face.

At every D1 Football program across the country right now the overwhelming vast majority of all student/athletes are HOME (some do the May summer term if they HAVE to for eligibility reasons), and they will be home until the 1st week of June (so they are OFF/AWAY from the coaches, campus facilities, etc for some 3-4 weeks). They come back in June/July for summer school/workouts, but May? Gone. If not mistaken, they usually get a week to do the same at the end of July before camp starts, too.

Smaller division schools (NCAA D2/D3 & NAIA)? The overwhelming majority of student-athletes go home all of May, June & July (the schools at that level can't afford to PAY them for going to summer school like D1 programs...that's how D1 programs get away with it...not only are their classes paid for, but so is their time for being there...aka...their SUMMER JOB is class and football).

High school football? Coaches (some) lose their ever loving minds if they don't have them all summer long (especially in June). Hell, some even put on a front like a two week Dead Period is the devil.

....somewhere, somehow...things have gotten just a tad bit twisted.

Come on now, comparing apples to oranges. You know like I know that collegiate off season programs are hellacious. At least 5days a week up until spring games. And that summer packet ain't no joke either. Difference is imo, if you didn't come back in shape or didn't work hard, somebody was coming for your spot and your scholarship. Not as much competition in most High School, especially with Coach mom and dad pumping there heads up. So as coaches we try to create as many opportunities for players to improve themselves given the time we have them.

This is a great thread and it has made me wonder something, how many of these kids really "LOVE" football? If not for Parents making them play, how many would actually play? Just curious what some of your thoughts on that are. From my experience I would guess that 75% play because daddy makes them. Thoughts?

And when I see how some parents "Party" on Friday night, that only leads me to this type of thoughts. Perhaps this belongs in another topic.

Come on now, comparing apples to oranges. You know like I know that collegiate off season programs are hellacious. At least 5days a week up until spring games. And that summer packet ain't no joke either. Difference is imo, if you didn't come back in shape or didn't work hard, somebody was coming for your spot and your scholarship. Not as much competition in most High School, especially with Coach mom and dad pumping there heads up. So as coaches we try to create as many opportunities for players to improve themselves given the time we have them.

It is and it isn't. I had those workout packets & what was done was done....was what it was. Even still, they go home....coaches/players get the hell away from one another, and somehow they manage to do just fine. We just went 4 days a week in the summer when we were on campus. I never saw many guys lose their scholarships; come to think of it...I didn't see a single one lose one and I played all the way through. The taking the spot thing? Sure that happens.....that happens in high school, to as you know.

This is a great thread and it has made me wonder something, how many of these kids really "LOVE" football? If not for Parents making them play, how many would actually play? Just curious what some of your thoughts on that are. From my experience I would guess that 75% play because daddy makes them. Thoughts?

And when I see how some parents "Party" on Friday night, that only leads me to this type of thoughts. Perhaps this belongs in another topic.

I think tons of kids want to and enjoy playing. I don't think it's a question of that; rather than it's just not the be all-end all level of importance that it might be to some of their parents/coaches?

I think this generation gets a bad wrap the older I've gotten.....at no point in any of our times has more been asked of 14-18 year old in any and every sport out there & it's not slowing down. This generation that PLAY? They work their tails off....they are constantly competing...maybe not in "our" sport this time of year/June like we'd want them to, but they are "competing"...and, I really think that gets lost in the translation of this a lot of times.

If they aren't showing up because they are at home eating cheetos and watching SpongeBob; then that's one thing....not showing up b/c of basketball, baseball and/ or wrestling...or heaven forbid (insert sarcasm) they take go on a family vacation before Dead Period b/c their parents work schedule(s) don't allow for those times off? So be it...get tore up if you (not specifically you, but just a generalization) want; I'm not.

Edited by Harry Doyle

Disagree. Sure most get started because their dads played/wanted them to play. But with what is required of kids these days, and how physical and difficult the sport is, kids aren't doing it unless they really want to. Sure there might be a few out there going through the motions. But 75%?? No way. Heck, I've been coaching for over 13 years and my youngest grew up with the sport, but no longer plays. If a kid doesn't want to do it, he isn't going to do it.

I dont think too many parents can make kids play sports this day and time, especially around the mountain areas.

Our team would be a lot bigger and have a lot better fan base if we had parents that "made" their kids play football. We have a hand full of kids that come out each year and quit shortly afterwards because their parents cannot (or will not) make the commitment to get the kid to and from practice. I don't know if they are just misinformed or not willing to have their child at an extracurricular function 3-5 days a week in the summer. Half our kids parents don't come to the games until they are starting, instead of coming to support their child's team.

I guess it is just a difference in demographics.

Completely disagree. I would say less the. 5 percent of kids play because their parents make them. Unless your talking about 6 years olds. Then yeah their parents may make them at least try it out. Once they are in high school, it's less than 5 percent if even that.

In fact I think it's more the other way around. More parents aren't letting kids play due to more information on concussions, and other reasons.