The downfall of Covington Catholic football

kypride

BG is in a good cycle. No doubt about it. I do not think that the gap will be that great next year. I feel like CovCath will make at least the semis in 2017. Will they be a favorite over BG? No. Will they have a team that could beat BG? I believe that they will.

I see Districts 3 and 5 are matched up for 2017 in Region 2. That puts Cov Cath/Highlands district vs South Oldham/North Bullitt district. There will be some good matches there. I would expect the winner to get a ticket to meet Bowling Green in the semi's.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't won a regional title since 2006? 10 years of drought. What happened? Why? Who is responsible?

A thread created solely to take a shot at me and to mock my thread.

So cute and so mature, but I'll bite :thumb:

I think part of it was Highlands being so dominant and consistent, which, when you have a nationally ranked program in your area that you have to play in the second round of the playoffs at the latest, it's tough to get to the regional title game. (I realize that they didn't lose to Highlands every year in the playoffs, which other parts of my post could play a part in.)

I think the other big part was just that we didn't have the right coach in there that had the win-first attitude. Don't get me wrong because I think that the attitude was always "let's go play hard and give it our all," but now the attitude is "we are going to go win," thanks to Eddie.

I think that the attitude trickled down to the players, but now players like AJ that have been starting for years also have the attitude of "this game is ours."

Again, I don't know that for sure, but, when I was in school (before and after the wreck), it was always "we WILL win," even when we were facing the nationally ranked Highlands team in 98 with Smith and Lorenzen.

All of those reasons also bring with it intensity and desire to be on the field, along with the win-first attitude, which I think is returning.

:lol2: This should get interesting.

Let me anticipate BFritz's response to this one, "Can you give me one good reason that you think Covington Catholic has had it's downfall? All you're giving me is excuses about why you think other teams are beating Covington Catholic in regions. I think everyone here is a homer for every other team in the region and is out to get Covington Catholic, and every post is just out to get my team."

:laugh:

The big question for the Colonels next season is going to be who will protect their prized D-1 QB?

Valid. I think Jones will be a great high school football player, but will only be a soph. No doubt there are OL questions to be answered. The JV line had a good season in 16. Let's see if that translates to the varsity level.

Let me summarize:

1) I'm guessing the team you root for lost a game along the way to our team. And now you are lashing out.

2) Those "in the know" saw this coming.

3) We are glad other schools are upping their game, dominating NKY gets boring after a while.

4) Some of these 6A schools are twice our enrollment!

5) Don't worry, the cavalry is on the way.

:isurrender:

Since CovCath is an all boys school they double enrollment to sort class. That twice our enrollment was funny I hope you were being sarcastic. CovCath has the same amount of BOYS in their school as all the other 6A schools. Girls can't play football.

Since CovCath is an all boys school they double enrollment to sort class. That twice our enrollment was funny I hope you were being sarcastic. CovCath has the same amount of BOYS in their school as all the other 6A schools. Girls can't play football.

I think you missed most of the sarcasm in this post. I'll leave that alone.

But do you really believe CovCath has the same amount of BOYS in their school as all other 6A schools?

I'm underwhelmed by your proof.

Here's what CovCath has: location, location, location. If you want a Catholic education, and you want to play big school football, you only have one option in NKY. Additionally, there are ZERO football playing Catholic high schools in Boone Co and southern Kenton Co where the population keeps booming. CovCath is it. The issue with this becomes that Ryle, Cooper and Simon Kenton have stepped up their game. It will be interesting if the pull of playing for Eddie and his staff and the chance of winning a state title trumps the success that those other three have had over the past few seasons. In all honesty, it will take a minor miracle for any of them to win a 6A title.

Here's what CovCath has: location, location, location. If you want a Catholic education, and you want to play big school football, you only have one option in NKY. Additionally, there are ZERO football playing Catholic high schools in Boone Co and southern Kenton Co where the population keeps booming. CovCath is it. The issue with this becomes that Ryle, Cooper and Simon Kenton have stepped up their game. It will be interesting if the pull of playing for Eddie and his staff and the chance of winning a state title trumps the success that those other three have had over the past few seasons. In all honesty, it will take a minor miracle for any of them to win a 6A title.

But the thing is that paragraph is not different. The school has been located in the same place all this time it hasn't won a region. It hasn't been in 6a at all. You have forgotten about NCC by the way for football. The only difference is Eviston, you have to hang your hat on Eviston.

But the thing is that paragraph is not different. The school has been located in the same place all this time it hasn't won a region. It hasn't been in 6a at all. You have forgotten about NCC by the way for football. The only difference is Eviston, you have to hang your hat on Eviston.

I haven't forgotten NCC. I am very well aware of NCC. I also know that CovCath has started getting kids from Campbell County that went to NCC in the past. As to the bolded, that's my WHOLE POINT. IMO, the coaching staff at CovCath is a different beast now. A lot of that has to do with the staff having complete support of administration. In the past, there were factions.

Here is the 1 thing that concerns me about CovCath. They seem to have lost the nastiness of past teams. I think that that is what Eddie and staff bring back. CovCath, back when it was affordable for a larger population, brought in kids that gave the team an edge. Somehwere b/n 2006 and now, they lost that. I don't know if it is b/c tuition is so high that many of the kids that grew up in the tougher neighborhoods can't afford it, or just a culture thing w/in the school. It seems like it is coming back now. I have watched a couple of practices and Eddie demands it. The BBALL team has a nasty streak that Ruthsatz brought in. Seems like CovCath is getting back to where it was while I was in school.

Last season was a great season and came within 3 yards of the region title. They are stacked at all skill positions with the lines being the only unknown. If they put a line together they should be right there again. Competition is higher all over the state IMO so dynasty type eras will be hard to come by.

The Holy Cross football team would be disappointed in you :bunny:

I agree Holy Cross had a fine season and has had some success including their win over Glasgow in the Finals a few years ago but if you are top level Catholic football player in Boone or Kenton County you would be a fool to go anywhere other than CovCath.

I think the improvement/growth of the programs in Boone Co, along with SK has definitely hurt CCH. Call it the "Mike Woolf Effect" - there was a solid pipeline of some tough non-Catholic Boone Co dudes that followed him to Park Hills in the late 80s-early 90s. Difference makers. He was like a pied piper - of course it also helped that he had three younger brothers that were also good FB players. Not sure they're getting as many anymore - really good players with nasty streaks. I am not suggesting that CCH's success at that time was solely attributable to those kids - but they were important parts to some darn good teams.

Edited by Samcro