The downfall of Covington Catholic football

kypride

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy stock in both programs. CovCath has a very good coaching staff, very good feeder system, and it seems, a lot of the outside noise has been eliminated that plagued previous coaches.

You buying Championship Stock or Finals Stock?

Because as long as Bowling Green is cooking with gas at both the Feeder and High School Level I am not sure I see either taking down the Purples.

With that said, once this cross bracketing stuff ends and they return to the East the winner of that district SHOULD have a nice path to the Finals.

Real talk... this is a hilarious thread but there is some tangible discussion to be had.

It does have to be alarming that in the two weakest years of Highlands football in recent memory that the Colonels couldn't reach the Semi's, let alone the State Finals.

I don't know that I'd say "alarming". A little disappointing? Maybe so.

The fact is, Cov Cath has gotten far too accustomed to NOT making the semi's and state finals over the last decade and a half. In the late 80s and 90s, there isn't much refuting that Cov Cath had a winning attitude, with a record to back it up. Since 2000, they made the semis in 2001, and they made/won the state finals in 2006. Fact is, for the guys currently playing on Cov Cath's team, those are the only visits to the semis and state finals that they've ever seen the Colonels make in their lives. Furthermore, they've only seen Cov Cath beat Highlands in the playoffs twice - and one of those wins took place while they were still in pre-school.

The fact is, job one for Coach Eviston was re-instilling the winning attitude. Case in point, the 2015 Lex Cath game. After losing their first 3 games of the season, Cov Cath was coming from behind in the 4th quarter against Lex Cath, scored a touchdown to pull within 1 point, and Coach Eviston called for the 2pt conversion to go for a win. He got confused looks from his players. Instead of a killer instinct kicking in, the players were looking to play it safe and go for a tie and overtime rather than going for the win. Prudent call or not a prudent call, that's proof positive that there was a lack of a properly instilled winning attitude there.

Look at the results this season, and you're going to see something different that you didn't necessarily see in recent years. They fought for an underdog win against Sycamore. They beat Lex Cath. They were outmatched by Columbus DeSales, but held them to a 4 point lead in the 1st half. Major points in their wins over Oak Hills, Beechwood, Highlands, and Doss. Coach Eviston is making headway when it comes to job one. He's getting the winning attitude where it needs to be. Job two is to get the wins that count the most.

Relevant to my last post:

2000 - Lost to Highlands in the 2nd round.

2001 - Lost to Rockcastle Co. in the semis.

2002 - Lost to Lex Cath in the 2nd round.

2003 - Lost to East Jessamine in the 1st round.

2004 - Lost to Highlands in the 3rd round.

2005 - Lost to Lex Cath in the 2nd round.

2006 - AAA state champions.

2007 - Lost to Highlands in the 2nd round.

2008 - Lost to Johnson Central in the 2nd round.

2009 - Lost to Johnson Central in the 2nd round.

2010 - Lost to Johnson Central in the 2nd round.

2011 - Lost to Highlands in the 3rd round.

2012 - Lost to Highlands in the 3rd round.

2013 - Lost to Highlands in the 3rd round.

2014 - Lost to Highlands in the 3rd round.

2015 - Lost to Highlands in the 3rd round.

2016 - Lost to Fern Creek in the 3rd round.

Winning record, better head coach, better coaching staff, a lot of talented players, youth program that's supported by HS, fan Support, facilities being upgraded finally can't hurt, kids have bought into the staffs plan and hard work expectations.

Lights!!! Don't forget the lights. CWB got me to spend $20 to become a premium member 3 years ago to read a thread on lights. Best money ever spent!

The fact is, Cov Cath has gotten far too accustomed to NOT making the semi's and state finals over the last decade and a half. In the late 80s and 90s, there isn't much refuting that Cov Cath had a winning attitude, with a record to back it up. Since 2000, they made the semis in 2001, and they made/won the state finals in 2006. Fact is, for the guys currently playing on Cov Cath's team, those are the only visits to the semis and state finals that they've ever seen the Colonels make in their lives. Furthermore, they've only seen Cov Cath beat Highlands in the playoffs twice - and one of those wins took place while they were still in pre-school.

The fact is, job one for Coach Eviston was re-instilling the winning attitude. Case in point, the 2015 Lex Cath game. After losing their first 3 games of the season, Cov Cath was coming from behind in the 4th quarter against Lex Cath, scored a touchdown to pull within 1 point, and Coach Eviston called for the 2pt conversion to go for a win. He got confused looks from his players. Instead of a killer instinct kicking in, the players were looking to play it safe and go for a tie and overtime rather than going for the win. Prudent call or not a prudent call, that's proof positive that there was a lack of a properly instilled winning attitude there.

Look at the results this season, and you're going to see something different that you didn't necessarily see in recent years. They fought for an underdog win against Sycamore. They beat Lex Cath. They were outmatched by Columbus DeSales, but held them to a 4 point lead in the 1st half. Major points in their wins over Oak Hills, Beechwood, Highlands, and Doss. Coach Eviston is making headway when it comes to job one. He's getting the winning attitude where it needs to be. Job two is to get the wins that count the most.

Great post! They may not win state this year or next or the year after that! But if they continue to make progress and energize the right kids and then start pulling some of the other athletes back to football, who knows. Winning and respect cure a lot of ailments. When you start winning and running a respected program, athletes will come. I said in the other thread...it's a marathon.

Winning record(so what,how is that different), better head coach(what evidence), better coaching staff(how do you measure that), a lot of talented players(so what, how is that different), youth program that's supported by HS(how many regional champions don't have that), fan Support(so what, how is that different), facilities being upgraded finally can't hurt(yay, lights!), kids have bought into the staffs plan and hard work expectations(who says).

I'm underwhelmed by your proof.

Awesome insight into the program. Keep preaching coach Eviston.

You buying Championship Stock or Finals Stock?

Because as long as Bowling Green is cooking with gas at both the Feeder and High School Level I am not sure I see either taking down the Purples.

With that said, once this cross bracketing stuff ends and they return to the East the winner of that district SHOULD have a nice path to the Finals.

BG is in a good cycle. No doubt about it. I do not think that the gap will be that great next year. I feel like CovCath will make at least the semis in 2017. Will they be a favorite over BG? No. Will they have a team that could beat BG? I believe that they will.