Just one:What rule would you like to see chaged at the high school level?

When a penalty occurs inside the 10 yard line then it should be an automatic 1st down. I hate that when a team is about to score and inside the 5 yard line or so and the defense holds or their is a PI in the endzone that if it was 3rd down, it stays 3rd down. It is an advantage to the defense to do whatever they can on a 3rd and goal to prevent a TD even if that includes purposely getting called for a penalty. The offense doesn't really have an advantage.

I witnessed this first hand this year during a Cooper game when Cooper was inside the 10 and it was a 3rd and goal and their was a Defensive Penalty and basically instead of getting a 1st and goal it was just a replay of 3rd down. That is one rule I wish was changed.

So if the offense commits a foul, your ok with loss of down correct?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a penalty occurs inside the 10 yard line then it should be an automatic 1st down. I hate that when a team is about to score and inside the 5 yard line or so and the defense holds or their is a PI in the endzone that if it was 3rd down, it stays 3rd down. It is an advantage to the defense to do whatever they can on a 3rd and goal to prevent a TD even if that includes purposely getting called for a penalty. The offense doesn't really have an advantage.

I witnessed this first hand this year during a Cooper game when Cooper was inside the 10 and it was a 3rd and goal and their was a Defensive Penalty and basically instead of getting a 1st and goal it was just a replay of 3rd down. That is one rule I wish was changed.

For all penalties?? I might go for this if you're referring to defensive holding/PI, as those can fundamentally change outcomes. Many coaches teach to take the PI over giving up a TD. But for simple penalties like encroachment, I'd definitely be against that rule. And if you did change DH/PH to automatice first down inside the 10, I think you'd need that to be the rule on all parts of the field.

Negative, too much home cooking running the clock in HS for that to happen. Back judge has a buzzer, leave this one in the officials hands.

Disagree.

All the back judge has to do is look up and see if the clock is running or not. Our bordering states us them and they survive.

It's better for the players (QBs) on the field if play clocks are visible. Isn't it supposed to be about them?

Negative, too much home cooking running the clock in HS for that to happen. Back judge has a buzzer, leave this one in the officials hands.

All back judge has to do is look up at the play clock to make sure it starts when it should, no different than home cooking refs short clocking teams. I'd rather everyone be able to see the play clock than just one guy.

Do not commit the penalty and you wont have the impact.

By not calling it the way I think it should be called has a huge impact to.

Very unfair to the team that the infraction was committed against. They should have had a 50 yard gain but under the current set up, they lose 35 yards.

No....they gain 15 yards.

I totally agree with Voice of Reason on this one. He makes very good points.

I say get rid of the taunting rules.

If a kid wants to gloat, let him gloat.

I realize that's unrealistic, but it's just my opinion, I hate that an emotional game isn't allowed to be played with emotion sometimes.

Sorry to disagree Pi; but this dinosaur sees one of a coach's most important jobs is to mold young men into conducting themselves with honor and integrity on the competitive field. What is more, we hope those lessons spill over into how they conduct themselves in life. The gloating..."look at me" focus unfortunately we too often see is emblematic of core problems in today's society.

So if the offense commits a foul, your ok with loss of down correct?

Yes if it is a loss of down type of penalty (intentional grounding etc.) If not I have no problem with moving them back 5, 10 or 15 yds depending on the penalty and repeat the down. Remember the defense can always decline the penalty if the offense is stopped.

For all penalties?? I might go for this if you're referring to defensive holding/PI, as those can fundamentally change outcomes. Many coaches teach to take the PI over giving up a TD. But for simple penalties like encroachment, I'd definitely be against that rule. And if you did change DH/PH to automatice first down inside the 10, I think you'd need that to be the rule on all parts of the field.

I would go with the same as a penalty would be anywhere else on the field unless the line of scrimmage is inside the 10 for a 10 yard penalty or inside the 5 and a penalty would be a 5 yard mark off. In other words if the los is inside the 5 and an encroachment penalty is called then half the distance and automatic 1st Down. If the los is at the 11 then half the distance

and repeat the down.

Disagree.

All the back judge has to do is look up and see if the clock is running or not. Our bordering states us them and they survive.

It's better for the players (QBs) on the field if play clocks are visible. Isn't it supposed to be about them?

Bordering states use them or they are required? I didn't know any state required them or that they were official on the HS level anywhere.

I've been around plenty of screwed up clock operators. I'm not even talking about away games.

Bordering states use them or they are required? I didn't know any state required them or that they were official on the HS level anywhere.

I've been around plenty of screwed up clock operators. I'm not even talking about away games.

True that. Sometimes its hard enough to get someone to turn on the lights.